Check my 207 Timing chain with EP6 1.6 NA engine

CC207

Tadpole
Hey guys,

I am going to change my valve cover gasket in the next few days. This is due to excess of burning oil, like 400ml in 400kms. I could not find any symptoms for that, so I am going to give the gasket a try.
(The vehicle is Peugeot 207 with 1.6 NA EP6 engine.)
Since the engine will be open, I want to check my timing chain as well.
I wonder if there's any way to check it?

Thank you for any replies.
Really appreciate it!

Regards,
James

Can you see an actual leak from the gasket?

If not may have more serious issues

Have you checked the oil arrestor valve in the cover?

Can you see an actual leak from the gasket?

If not may have more serious issues

yeah I can see a little bit of oil around the valve cover.
Since the car is not generating any weird smoke, it's really hard to find out why.
thanks.

It's more likely that the cover itself is leaking oil from the vent holes at the belt/chain end than the gasket leaking. The cover can split internally and it incorporates oil vapour recovery parts with a diaphragm that can fail. In that case, you change the complete cover, which comes with new seals.

The chain stretch is officially checked with a dummy/test tensioner. The measurement is compared to a reference and the factory advises to change the chain and associated parts if it exceeds 69mm. Otherwise, the position of the camshafts at TDC may give you a fair idea as they are supposed to make 90 degrees. If they don't, the chain is possibly stretched or maybe the sprockets have turned a little on the cams. The sprocket bolts are critical items and single use only. There is also a timing tool in two pieces that fit over each cam and should meet in the middle if the timing is correct. You may see that illustrated.

Is there pressure or vacuum when taking the oil cap off?

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

He's talking about crankcase pressures, and ventilation.