Chasing Koni Shocks for 1972 504

Pug72

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

I know these are no longer available for the 504. I have been searching the internet for years trying to track some down, even ones I could possibly rebuild.

I was just watching the following youtuber and he is using Koni 86-1991 in the front of his 1979 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFkTuItZ7So

This model Koni looks very close to the Peugeot 504 insert. They are still easy to buy however I would ideally like to know its' dimensions - ie tube diameter and tube length to see whether it will fit (or can be modified to fit) the 1972 504 front strut.

Any ideas on where I can get this information? I sent a message to the youtuber requesting measurements.

My 504 is due for a front end rebuild and I have all the parts, however I would ideally like Koni's. I've had them on previous vehicles and my other car (Landrover Defender 130) has the huge Koni Raids.

Finding rears is much easier as there a few models that are close to matching the open and closed lengths.

It's a long shot.

Cheers

Last edited:
Fairly useless in the rear, Koni seem to have forgotten the 2 to 1 leverage on the arms so they are too soft. You can adjust them up but this only affects the rebound. The rubber falls out of the lower bushes too. The only rears that work are late 505 STi or GTi original, even after 35 years! I've had good results with Record lately so they might be worth a try. Toyota Hi Lux are similar size I believe.
The fronts are OK as long as you get the shafts shortened by 10mm otherwise the foot valves can be punched out on big bumps. If you buy NOS be careful as the rubber internals perish, break up and block the valves.

I have Konis in the rear of my 403 and I like the way they feel. It is stable and with little roll.

Hi all

I know these are no longer available for the 504. I have been searching the internet for years trying to track some down, even ones I could possibly rebuild.

I was just watching the following youtuber and he is using Koni 86-1991 in the front of his 1979 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon.

This model Koni looks very close to the Peugeot 504 insert. They are still easy to buy however I would ideally like to know its' dimensions - ie tube diameter and tube length to see whether it will fit (or can be modified to fit) the 1972 504 front strut.

Any ideas on where I can get this information? I sent a message to the youtuber requesting measurements.

My 504 is due for a front end rebuild and I have all the parts, however I would ideally like Koni's. I've had them on previous vehicles and my other car (Landrover Defender 130) has the huge Koni Raids.

Finding rears is much easier as there a few models that are close to matching the open and closed lengths.

It's a long shot.

Cheers
Hi Pug 72. Can you tell me what rear springs you have in your 504.

Hi Pug 72. Can you tell me what rear springs you have in your 504.
For normal use a readily available replacement spring is the KPRS01 from King Springs. A bit upgraded from standard settings (which will have sagged dramatically) and available through suspension places and at times on eBay.

I cannot remember what part number the King springs are but Pug303 might be on the money as that is what is listed.

Note: King don't make coils for the 504 anymore, so what's currently available on ebay/internet is the remaining stock. King will now happily make custom make coils however.

I cannot remember what part number the King springs are but Pug303 might be on the money as that is what is listed.

Note: King don't make coils for the 504 anymore, so what's currently available on ebay/internet is the remaining stock. King will now happily make custom make coils however.
Thanks. Did the King springs make much difference to the ride quality? I would like to return the ride height to original without making the ride too firm if that is possible.

Years ago my Ti springs had sagged so I had a spring manufacturer at Caringbah Sydney make me new rear springs. Absolute rubbish! Turned the car into a pig. I put the originals back in and fitted a 10mm flat rubber ring (Conveyor belt) top and bottom. :)

Reactions: cjl
My 504 rides very comfortably. Much better than a modern day car. The rear springs are quite soft and as such do not cope with a heavy load, as you can see in this picture. Boot is fully loaded (my tool box is 25kgs alone). MTB bikes are carbon so not that much weight on the tow bar.

But in saying that....my left front shock absorber blew a seal yesterday :mad:, so I'll need to rebuild the front end. I have all the parts sitting at home as it's been 15 years since the front end was last touched. I am hoping to pull the struts out tonight.

Attachments

• Loaded 504.jpg
    Loaded 504.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 138
I think I have a pair of de carbon off a 504, took off when sold the car. if interested let me know. were best shocks for pug.

I had Konis in a 404 sedan years ago and they were godawful. Never again.
I wondered why the London Sydney guys were changing tyres every Pits Stop in the book I had been given.....stirring of course.....Flip back to near beginning of book......REPLACE PEUGEOT SHOCKS WITH KON I's WHAT NONSENSE. NO IDEA.... How many people know knew Peugeot made their own..Rolls or Royces and Koni's first cars Peugeot ..Seems Koni concentrated on shockers YEP CAR SHOCKERS.. and of course trains and such .perhaps Peugeot should open another door and give them a run for their money.They had had 400 Companies 35 years ago..I don't see why not.

Bob Watson in the 504 went from London to Singapore on one set of tyres, rock hard Michelin Cocette, RC1 compound. I know where there is a set of these, would be super hard now after 43 years!! The Watson team didn't use Konis. Once again, the rears are useless on a 504 and the fronts need shortening by 10mm, then they are fine.

The only reason I put Konis on that 1963 404 is that the originals were worn out at 273,000 miles and the Konis were cheap. But they were also shyte.