Channel 10's F1 "commitment"

da_prancin_schu

Fellow Frogger
Just thought I'd whinge about the viewing times of Sundays F1. 11PM !!!! Yes, a race that could be shown live in the afternoon is being delayed until 11pm. Ok fine, v8's is on, but still, why can't they show it at 5pm? All viewers would miss is Sports tonight which will be a half hour replay of the v8's just finished, a 28-th time repeat of the Simpsons which will also be on Foxtel at the same time pretty much, and an episode of the Xtra Factor (!?!?! what is it). Especially this year when theres some action.... you would think it could pull a decent viewership on an early sunday evening!

:mad:

Not happy. I used to be on the F1 fans vs Channel 9 forum... C10 is no better!

I totally agree with you but the Formula One demographic is, I hate to say, a lot smaller than people who want to watch reruns of Simpsons and X Factor (family shows). Putting Formula One on in a prime time slot isn't viable for your regular F1 sponsors either as the costs to put advertisements are alot more as you can imagine, making it harder for channel 10 sales to actually sell space during an F1 race... unfortunately, it just doesn't make business sense to do it and let's face it, no matter who's got the coverage, it's still a business.

I just wish Bernie would stop this "exclusive rights" to show F1 races in Australia so it could be shown live on pay TV, the UK and the US have it but not Australia. If we had the full digital live coverage they have in the UK I would pay through the teeth and not bat an eyelid.

Either way, there WILL be hell to pay if someone announces the results in the title of a post... I will personally buy a ticket and find where the person lives if that happens.

Rich

Haha, but how could you possibly be upset if a drunken **** gets excited (and has had too much to drink) and posts the results? Why how naive of you...

There is one good thing to Ten having the race at 11pm. There is a good chance that Lee Diffy (or whatever his name is) won't be babbling away whilst wetting himself and we'll get to listen to someone that actually knows what they are talking about (like Martin Brundle for example) call the race. Here's hoping anyway :)

Last year I think they did show the Malaysian F1's straight after the Supertaxis.

However it doesnt worry me that it's on at 11pm this year because i'll be home and sober after sitting in the sun drinking beer all day watching the taxi's run around from my position in the hairpin.

What does annoy me is that there are only 2 rounds apart from Australia that can be shown at a reasonable hour, Malaysia & Japan and they both clash with "major v8 telecasts" Japan clashes with Bathurst as well... :mad:

As they say in the classics... if you're not happy, you could always move!

Amazing how many Yanks whinge about having to get up Sunday morning to watch the European races... and... Heaven Forbid!... stay up late Sunday night to watch the Australian, Japanese and Malaysian races.

SLC206 hate to dissapoint you but I suspect Crompton will still be on it looking at his notepad to conveniently find a 5 page thesis about how Jos Verstappen once saved 0.0001 seconds a lap by having lower fuel burn than Tora Takagi.

Oh please Foxtel save me and just give me the UK coverage! :D

Zen said:
Either way, there WILL be hell to pay if someone announces the results in the title of a post... I will personally buy a ticket and find where the person lives if that happens.
Rich

I'll give you a little tip... DONT logon to any motorsport forums/sites before you watch the race...
Pretty much works a treat for me...

nate said:
I'll give you a little tip... DONT logon to any motorsport forums/sites before you watch the race...
Pretty much works a treat for me...

AMEN!! put this to bed guys

cheers
Dave

To put it bluntly, it's not good enough.

We host a round of the GP, and have done for some 21 odd years now, and yet we are given second, perhaps even third, rate coverage.

If 9 nor 10 are prepared to show every event live, then perhaps they should palm it off to ABC or SBS - I know that will never happen as there is too much $$ at stake, but they really cannot expect no complaints when the majority of races are delayed from between 30mins to a good quarter of a day.

Thank God Woods wasn't commentating in Australia - he is awful to listen to in MotoGP let alone F1 and is well out of his depth in both.

IMHO all the comentators of motorsport here in australia are a little out of there depth....

As for coveragem why doesn't Foxtel do a deal with ITV to get it on foxtel ??

orestes said:
IMHO all the comentators of motorsport here in australia are a little out of there depth....

As for coveragem why doesn't Foxtel do a deal with ITV to get it on foxtel ??

I'm sure they would if it were that easy - Unfortunately Bernie Ecclestone holds all commercial rights to F1 and dealing with him is probably harder than it would be to get blood out of a stone.

I'm even more furious with C9 now. They announced the results at about 10pm while I had some dodgy show on in the background. They know full well when the coverage was; bloody idiots intentionally spoiled it!

da_prancin_schu said:
I'm even more furious with C9 now. They announced the results at about 10pm while I had some dodgy show on in the background. They know full well when the coverage was; bloody idiots intentionally spoiled it!
Of course .... they all do it with sporting events .. they don't want you watching the F1 on 10.

It was better to just set the STB to record last night and do other stuff - you can't trust the other channels not to spoil the party. So I speed watched the F1 in about 45min this morning. (and watched several super slo-mo's of that "crash" - racing incident, cough cough .... my @rse). :)

- xTc -

yep, make sure you avoid all forms of news and sport until the F1 starts. For the days when I record it I have to avoid news ALL DAY!

I think I'm the only one that like Crompton... well, some of the time...

The coverage was scheduled to start at 11:00 pm.

It actually started at 11:15 pm.

We had to put up with 20 minutes of 'expert' commentary from Neil Crompton and Bill Woods :rolleyes: And the farce of hearing them struggle to talk over the sound of air-guns and heavy machinery :joker:

The race actually 'started' at 11:35 pm. Channel Nine would have been proud.

Pug-a-lug said:
The coverage was scheduled to start at 11:00 pm.

It actually started at 11:15 pm.

We had to put up with 20 minutes of 'expert' commentary from Neil Crompton and Bill Woods :rolleyes: And the farce of hearing them struggle to talk over the sound of air-guns and heavy machinery :joker:

The race actually 'started' at 11:35 pm. Channel Nine would have been proud.

Dont you just love reality tv? To me it would be more realistic if they either advertised the correct finishing time of the program or managed to package it up into the advertised time.

I cant wait for the days when the networks are allowed to run things like sport & reality tv on another of their digital channels.

Give me a channel for motorsport and put the reality crap on another channel that I dont have to watch ever!