" chance of a lifetime "

ohhh, dude...no....

now i'm gonna have to try and scrounge around to find 990 bucks. Damn, i wanna race a rear wheel drive at Mallala.

---Edit--->>

oh, wikkid. I just found out that the elimination rounds are raced in Modded Daewoo Lanos race cars. hmmm... im thinking seriously about this. Even if i get eliminated in the first round...that is still 30 laps in a car that i can mistreat more than my Xsara.

-Quentin

Last edited:
XsaraVTS said:
ohhh, dude...no....

now i'm gonna have to try and scrounge around to find 990 bucks. Damn, i wanna race a rear wheel drive at Mallala.

---Edit--->>

oh, wikkid. I just found out that the elimination rounds are raced in Modded Daewoo Lanos race cars. hmmm... im thinking seriously about this. Even if i get eliminated in the first round...that is still 30 laps in a car that i can mistreat more than my Xsara.

-Quentin

Hey Quentin,

I was looking at the lap records for Mallala and we are already quicker round there than the 'woos! So why would you want to fork out $990 to go slower than we were doing in our stockie Pug's and Cit's!

http://www.sportingcarclubsa.org.au/Mallala-Lap-Records-May04.doc

The time for a 'woo is 1:34.5 where we were doing 1:30.6 in the gti & xsara - Imagine if I get the semi slicks! :)

Michael.

saturday evening i was even achieving 1:29.9's :) :blackeye:

but the point is - the slim slim chance of winning a sponsored drive for 2005. Much of my life has been dedicated to watching motorsport and dreaming... this is a $990 chance at a racing career. It is something i just can't give up. I don't want to be 35 and regret not having a go.

The sensation of speed is not my biggest motivating factor, but fierce competition... thats another ball game. If i suck - im going to be grumpy for a while and perhaps come to realise that i wasnt put on this earth to race professionally but just for fun.

I'm busy organising annual leave at work and im going to ring Michael at MoPro tomorrow.

XsaraVTS has really summed up how I felt about it.

The fact that the laptimes are slower then what ytou may be achieving now just means you know what it takes to go fast at a given track. The chance of winning a sponsored drive (however slim) is that holy grail, the fact that you can get the chance to do it again if you come in top 6 (again unlikely) you will get to go again next year.
I have always enjoyed armchair motorsport, and the club supersprints. How could I forgo having a go here, same cars, same conditions, driver only is the difference. One hell of a way to prove to yourself how much you have to learn still. ;)

Tekkie & Quentin,

I can see both sides, However even though the drive is "sponored" you still have to find & fund your own way to all the events - Unless you gain your own sponsorship to cover this. The Mopro Cup is pretty much based in Sydney/Melbourne so for us in particular Q we'd be doing a lot of travelling!

I'd like to think I could have made it in motorsport given the funds but I cant justify throwing a grand at what has a 1/100* chance of coming true.

You could throw that grand at lotto tickets and if you chance it lucky you could then buy a race team :D

*I cant remember the actual odds!