Central locking motors (Rockwell)

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
:rolleyes: Have discovered today that after checking out my central locking on the rear doors that the little Rockwell Motors have died.

Does anyone know how much a set of these would be for the 19? Its only the rear doors that have a problem. I spent about 1/2 a day checking them out and it is the motors that have died. Wiring and mechanism is all fine on the car?

I dont think it would be worth buying them second-hand as they might be in the same condition as the ones I have got? Any ideas? :confused:

danielsydney:
:rolleyes:
I dont think it would be worth buying them second-hand as they might be in the same condition as the ones I have got? Any ideas? :confused:
Yes, buy a Citroen BX Tri Auto!

:D :D :D mallet evil

They are probably not dead Daniel....try the connectors, switch and the other usual suspects...You could try testing them by applying current to them directly..but be careful not to short stuff out if you try this.

Failing that get it to an auto electrician. (Don't give them a blank cheque if you do...If the hourly rate was reasonable I'd ask them to spend an hour on it and give a quote oif it was going to cost more.)

If the mechanisms (solenoids?) are dead they are probably replaceable with the universal type flogged through a plethora of auto retail outlets in sets of 4..for not much money.

Having said the above...a workshop manual could provide you with a lot of help. You absolutely must get one... mallet

I have actually got the multi-meter onto them & there isnt much current going to them really. My uncle checked them out and he said they were either worn out or werent getting enough power to push the mechanism.

I think they should be fairly cheap there isnt much to them. (I did have the haynes manual & it was a great help in the door trim removal and all that. There was all this black shit that was stuck on the doors(mastic). Ill see if I can track some down..

Not much current, or not many volts?

ie. were you reading a low voltage from the connector, or did you perform some sort of load test to measure amps?

May be an earthing problem?

I think Bogmasters suggestion of testing them outside of the switching circuit is a good one.

Not sure about R19's, but R25's were apparently prone to connector corrosion due to water intrusion - workshop instructions were to clean connectors (try your contact cleaner?), apply electrical grease and reconnect...

<small>[ 24 June 2002, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Europa ]</small>

Hi Daniel, me again (hears groan) :D

Jaycar sells sets of four universal solenoids, and also sells master and slave ones singly. The rear ones are slaves. However, it's highly unlikely that two back ones have gone at once - logic would suggest a common wire or connector is dodgy? Maybe look for the common connector at the source - this could be at the front driver's door solenoid, which contains the master switch so you control them all from your door.

Stuey

dick smith and strathfield car radio also sell these solenoids. who said french parts are hard to source...

con....

Con thanks for that. I went to the Dick SMiths power house & they had never heard of them. Colliers automative in Canberra has found some but they are over $AUD200 each. THis seems crazy. Anyone have any ideas? I think ill put up with closing the rear doors for a while longer.... :confused: :confused:

Hi there

Con is right the sloenoids come in kits Auotbarn here in tassie has them also JAYCAR ELECTRONICS on page 160 of their catalogue.
A 2 door kit for $40.00 Cat no LR-8838
A 4 door kit for $60.00 Cat no LR-8830

You can also buy the solenoids seperately

Their web site is <a href="http://www.jaycar.com.au" target="_blank">www.jaycar.com.au</a>

Regards Col.

Thanks for that col. Ill check out jaycar and see what they have got. That seems a lot cheaper than getting them original from Renault.
How can they justify that kind of price actually. Ill go to jaycar on sat and check it out..

Dnaiel, I'm sure you'll find that they don't just fit precisely where the old locks are - you'll need to make some sort of adapter up.

You'll probably need to change the electrical connectors as well.

Let us all know how you go with the replacements!

Daniel,

I am looking at Dick Smith's last flyer (ends 17/7/2002) which shows these on page 6. They call them "Four door central locking kit": The set was $39. And it states that all items are available at DS Powerhouse stores. DS staff used to be very knowlegeable about stock; wonder what's happened?

The DS catalog shows it as stock item: L-5451.

con.....

<small>[ 24 July 2002, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: con ]</small>