Catch can advice

callipygous

Fellow Frogger
I'm looking to install a catch can on my Peugeot 504t. So far, the best for the money that I have found appears to be the Mishimoto can, however it, along with so many of the other cans fails in one department. Namely, the inlet/outlets are about 12 mm diameter, whereas the crankcase breather hose on the 504 engine is 3/4" or ~19 mm. So I'm going to have to look further for a solution.

Here's my criteria for a can:
recirculate to intake not vent to atmosphere
Baffling - very important
Not sealed - you can take it apart
cylindrical and the base screws out
No stupid external sight hoses that could leak
3/4" inlet/outlet
No expensive/exclusive filters that can't be cleaned - i.e Flashlube Catch Can with $100-a-pop filter
$200 absolute max

So far my internet searches haven't come up with anything suitable, so I was hoping that maybe someone on these forums have come across something that would suit?

A lot of 4x4 guys use provent catch cans.

I use a similar one from forefront industries.

I'm actually looking at Provent style catch cans right now. Looks as if it may suit my application. Seems there are lots of different vendors for the Provent, and a lot are possibly copies? Is there anything to watch out for when buying one?

Have a look for the forefront ones on his page. That's what I used. Good value for money.
Meets most of your requirements except the top comes off rather than the base.

The only thing I don't like about them is they aren't a 'catch can'. They require the oil to be returned to the sump.

Or run a tube down to the wheel arch with a stopper and empty occasionally as required?

If recircling to intake, I've seen a lot of people use in-line oil separators for air compressors. Seems to work pretty damn well.

20160125_132948.jpg

The colour of this guy's oil doesn't look too good, but look it up, peoples swear by it and it's heaps cheaper than a catch can. The only issue is apparently catch cans need to have a 2 litre capacity according to CAMS regs.

Yeah but running a plugged hose down inside the fender defeats the purpose of a catch can...

With the air compressor filters - I found a whole bunch of how tos but they all use 3/8" pipes. Way to small - need 3/4".

How about this:
Racetronix - Catch Tank, Single -10AN, Black
with 2x Racetronix - Adapter, -10 ORB Male»-12AN Male, AL BK
and 2x Speedflow Australia - Hose Ends 400 series barb to -12AN (401-12 or 403-12)

That seems to fit most of your needs, but only has -10 (5/8") inlet and outlet with o-ring sealing, so needs an adapter to get it up to -12 (3/4"). The speedflow barb fittings are not the cheap option, but there's a few places including autobarn sell similar fittings.
If you could find a -10 o-ring to -12 barb that would maybe work well?

You've got a very tough set of requirements then.

Last edited:
$26 for all that! Very hard to beat.

You'll work something out :)