Car stands that move?

For shelving, we purchased second (third?) hand Dexion style shelving.

One bay cost us $30 from a private seller, not a company which deals in the stuff. I found that they're a lot more expensive. Some of the shelves were a bit rusty, but a bottle of Bondall's Rust Converter and the follow-up treatment worked wonders. And then you get to choose the colour you want for your shelving! It doesn't have to boring grey.

I must say seeing creative well thought out sheds are cool things.

Can't believe I'm getting excited by cleaning out a shed.

My welder "should" be arriving Friday, looks like a good weekends work in order.

Is there anywhere in your yard you could fit a shipping container
yeah, plenty of room, but access would likely make containers more expensive than proper sheds !! I'm told that the councils are trying to work out how to regulate containers - read "get money for permits".... :)
Shed frame is RHS, purlins and girts are all C section.
Bob

yeah, plenty of room, but access would likely make containers more expensive than proper sheds !! I'm told that the councils are trying to work out how to regulate containers - read "get money for permits".... :)
Shed frame is RHS, purlins and girts are all C section.
Bob

Oh .... thats almost a small industrial shed. None of the rest of us can support shelving like that as we only have frail top hat spanning the length of the shed :(

For shelving, we purchased second (third?) hand Dexion style shelving.

One bay cost us $30 from a private seller, not a company which deals in the stuff. I found that they're a lot more expensive. Some of the shelves were a bit rusty, but a bottle of Bondall's Rust Converter and the follow-up treatment worked wonders. And then you get to choose the colour you want for your shelving! It doesn't have to boring grey.
That looks very nice, but where did you find it? Scrapyards? Auction sites?

That looks very nice, but where did you find it? Scrapyards? Auction sites?
My wife found it on Facebook's Buy Swap and Sell.

I wasn't so keen when she showed it to me, but she insisted, so we went and had a look. Once we got there, we both changed our minds. She was telling me to walk away because some of the shelves were too rusty. I decided that the shelves had potential!!

I could show you photos of her working on them, but she might not appreciate it. Although, if you ever find my Instagram page, you'll see one or two photos on there.

Oh .... thats almost a small industrial shed. None of the rest of us can support shelving like that as we only have frail top hat spanning the length of the shed :(
probably all designed though for similar roof loadings, your top-hat is likely just a shorter span. It's gotta hold up two or three burly plumbers remember.... When it's all together you also have the sheeting spreading the load. Work out your clips so that the section is not deformed or twisted under the extra [light weight stuff] loading.
Get a piece of your top-hat, or whatever, and see if you can stand on it between a couple of bricks.... :)
Bob

My wife found it on Facebook's Buy Swap and Sell.

I wasn't so keen when she showed it to me, but she insisted, so we went and had a look. Once we got there, we both changed our minds. She was telling me to walk away because some of the shelves were too rusty. I decided that the shelves had potential!!

I could show you photos of her working on them, but she might not appreciate it. Although, if you ever find my Instagram page, you'll see one or two photos on there.

I've picked up quite a bit of shelving from facebook marketplace.... Er .... who cares what it looks like if its going into a shed ? :D .... pallet racking is a good alternative. you can park the nose of the car under it and setup your shelves from bonnet height upto the roof for lots of storage space.

probably all designed though for similar roof loadings, your top-hat is likely just a shorter span. It's gotta hold up two or three burly plumbers remember.... When it's all together you also have the sheeting spreading the load. Work out your clips so that the section is not deformed or twisted under the extra [light weight stuff] loading.
Get a piece of your top-hat, or whatever, and see if you can stand on it between a couple of bricks.... :)
Bob

tophat.jpg

Top hat is strong from above once screwed down. From the sides you only have those 0.75mm folded edges to attach too (remember sheets are screwed to the top). You might be able to snare around (between the corrugations of the roof metal) maybe ?? And support the shelves there.

I've picked up quite a bit of shelving from facebook marketplace.... Er .... who cares what it looks like if its going into a shed ? :D
Women have a different perspective on things, in case you hadn’t noticed!

Plus, i can’t show you any photos of how bad the rust was in certain parts of the shelves. I didn’t take any pictures of them prior to the restoration.

You might be able to snare around (between the corrugations of the roof metal) maybe ?? And support the shelves there
or, 1/4" eye bolt with mudguard washer on top, at a handy corrugation gap... :)
Strapped over the top may tend to force the top-hat in at the bottom.
Bob

I've decided I just need a bigger shed :p

There is a little room behind the shed for a temporary ~3x3 tin garden what-si-ma-bob. I reckon I'll find a second hand one on GumTree / Fleebag, then set that with shelves to store the odds, / parts etc, and set the "shed" with a proper bench and my tools up against the back wall.

ok one less decision to make.

Bowie, if you’re getting a welder just get some 20-25mm SHS lengths and dolly wheels and make your own. Measure them up for length and width so the tyres sit nicely in the rectangular frame but allow the tyre to sit high enough off the ground to not catch or drag. I used the dolly wheels that have a threaded centre stem and put nylon nuts on top. I’ll see if I can find some pics.

I’ve also built a series of stands over the years to support and move cars around.

Attachments

• 486B6B68-7F1E-4792-8769-C762A87E37EB.jpeg
    486B6B68-7F1E-4792-8769-C762A87E37EB.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 8B25A154-2B2C-49FB-ADFF-5FDF8356FD02.jpeg
    8B25A154-2B2C-49FB-ADFF-5FDF8356FD02.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 39C63393-97FE-4D5F-874C-2BBEF9586A17.jpeg
    39C63393-97FE-4D5F-874C-2BBEF9586A17.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hey they look great! and yes it is just a square after all.. Nice one. :)

The wheel Dollys are rectangular but not that far off square I guess. Not a bad way to christen the welder.

Bowie, if you’re getting a welder just get some 20-25mm SHS lengths and dolly wheels and make your own. Measure them up for length and width so the tyres sit nicely in the rectangular frame but allow the tyre to sit high enough off the ground to not catch or drag. I used the dolly wheels that have a threaded centre stem and put nylon nuts on top. I’ll see if I can find some pics.

I’ve also built a series of stands over the years to support and move cars around.
Nice job KB (y) , could almost make them for nick out of scrap RHS.

COL, I did. But this is Bowie we’re talking about. I had some scrap lengths and was given a couple of dozen wheels at least - it was a big box full! that served all the various projects I’ve done. I’m almost out even after giving away enough for a set of Dolly’s. The paint is an export brand that is often $2 on special at the local junk shop or previously Bunnings or super cheap so they don’t cost me much. The paint is colloquially known as KB project blue by my best mate.

Reactions: COL
Bowie, you could always try something like this. Maybe for one end at a time though given your garage restrictions.

Attachments

• FC1E2782-0F86-426B-BED8-55F5F95C68A2.jpeg
    FC1E2782-0F86-426B-BED8-55F5F95C68A2.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 111