Car stands that move?

Bowie

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi Brains trust!

My shed is small, and I'm looking for, well I suppose jacks I can put on wheels, push the car around, then turn the wheels off it you will locking it in place to work on. I suppose a combination of wheel dollies that I can use on the frame? Do I dare?

I can see a lot of faffing move the car around as I need swinging room. At worst, I'll just have to get some dollies, and work on one side at a time I suppose.. Perhaps that wont be so bad.

Before you fill the area with more equipment, stands, dollies etc, just clear some of the existing crap away so you have room to work around the car.

Start by Pissing the bike off outside and get rid of the empty cardboard boxes. I have built a few race cars in areas smaller than that. You were spoilt by having access to a big shed on 100 hectare paddock at your previous work. ;)

Reactions: COL
What I do with my R12 is just push it outside the shed and work on it there, like you I have crap stored down both sides of the car.

I enjoy working out side because there is more light if done during the day and also more room.

only negative is that you have to have it back on wheels before the end of the day so that you can roll the car back into the shed.

If your bock is flat like mine and you have a concrete area outside the shed I would consider the roll out roll in method and put the money towards tools for working on the car instead of tools to support it while moving it. My R12 weighs 1000 Kg and is easy to move.

Before you fill the area with more equipment, stands, dollies etc, just clear some of the existing crap away so you have room to work around the car.

Start by Pissing the bike off outside and get rid of the empty cardboard boxes. I have built a few race cars in areas smaller than that. You were spoilt by having access to a big shed on 100 hectare paddock at your previous work. ;)
Well the bike normally does live out the yard when I'm pottering but has been living inside as well winter is dumb here. And those boxes move too. Wife has me hanging onto them as we are destined to buy our own home this year maybe? Ah whatever s.

And not wrong being spoiled at the last place! only just appreciating now how good I had it :p

It's not as bad as it looks. There are shelves on 1x side only, maybe I just need to jenga some more.

But what im hearing is "suck it up princess". You are both probably right.

Last edited:
Some declutter, string the bike from the ceiling, investment in storage shelves and when you get a welder, it will be good welding practice to construct something to move the car on.

Find someone with steel offcuts or scrap, fabricate a rough frame as you learn to weld, fit it with pneumatic wheelbarrow tyres and move the car out when you need more space. It will be useful when you don't have wheels on the car while you fabricate the rose jointed suspension.

I built a Porsche 935 Replica in a single car garage below my flat using that process. A fire extinguisher for the odd fire and strong fan to blow fumes out the garage is worth the investment too.

I would suggest you move the shelves up above the car roof line and take everything off the floor. Maybe build a platform like a mezzanine inside the garage. That will leave the floor space for screwing around/with the car

Then have a look at this:

Well crap if you put together a 935 I've got no excuses.

How good is the concrete ?? You can put the benches and shelves onto large caster wheels (so they can be wheeled outside).

its going to be cheaper to buy wheel dolies than to make your own.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174731944604?epid=2285487078&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item28aed5e29c:g:31kAAOSwVOBfZBeZ&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACkPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSDAeS9EQtjPGVfKXTxF0%2Bjn4DahaEgdig8v%2Bl1WyXgx5xgDXIIuo4%2FCvHIU5%2BsoKuvnXjU2wOsxtPuQwm3nc3thTBO9xbF1Grxqy01k3aiHra%2Fc3NywPooKwm3NW0%2FlrtjAYiIt8TFd2TNFZm4YrRP1cc100%2BJn55KLVCMaBzIqZBGIJ9SdCNp0D5w0XdKAmwZ%2FmkyULMad2JdWDO%2BYzlgHetxFm5nEpStUNKIXCd%2B1lCmpsShwGLINj9d6Xk14lqqWtEkfj%2BDW2IQ%2BzxGK4SWVj5ShfumjuT4d%2BsyD09Yg4CdP8ZfCP9ZaW%2F%2BnKxOT%2BU1QUvWxIZzzllrbzuuOt9qX8QnQK1qZcFmT85%2FgpW2hzFhdLyhqSa%2FrtS3rAJYJluEwf7g%2BTeyFtEOQWkdSe%2B2yWqcqsFLkCPvgmOuFiloPoUBUscj1LeaJyFyNXt5AzcnwmzAIftoxshq%2FS2IGkq3nAO5Y3l8lpuMg02qtmYu6hja9MCbiMaRR3E94yrK2lvdB8A5WK53oSZAa2o5Io1Sw1b0FC9%2BwnC3mENAXloK0LtlKHXeSxTjRgggcvCP8TEUccfan56YeFpmSBjjhVJEi1hoDQX%2BAeCaohrRYjxEYGFCQ%2FqppIrnrSMXSgqk3hHPY4MhlxLOceOga9LRMwSWnUxCuWSY%2FdCspMpC5ERrEZN5DaF%2F9fsLtTH67Inr9sLMhDmFg4hwygsnw73F9fwwk31z9GSSvOygZ9j3AfMh%2FD%2BCaGWKlMtzDYjAFG%2FRm%2BMT8u546OSKXahfU3zH2hY%2BTdQp1NF77zeFLduHMRhJiMDpHMBnJBRbM7ubBwPA0ew|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524

The car will roll easier on it's own wheels, than on dollies though. If it doesn't run, a boat winch somehow mounted to pull the car in and out of the shed will be easiest. I'm going to "oneday" chase up something like an ALDI 4wd winch with remotes ... and mount it in a hitch receiver cradle. Then I just need to fab up a hitch receiver for the car trailer, the ramps in the shed, and anywhere I'll need to "pull" a car from. then move the winch around to where its needed (that way it can be stored on a shelf in the shed, rather than somewhere it will be rained on or stolen).

seeya
Shane L.

I would suggest you move the shelves up above the car roof line and take everything off the floor. Maybe build a platform like a mezzanine inside the garage. That will leave the floor space for screwing around/with the car

Then have a look at this:

HA HA! of course there is a BOM video of just this.

I use these wheel trolleys to move mine around. Got them from SuperCheap on sale, I think I used a gift card I had got at the time, so for me they were super cheap. They are ok if you are happy to leave the car on them for longer periods, bit of a pain to put the car on them. The hydraulic lift versions of these are better, but at $800.00 from SuperCheap, they are not cheap

IMG_7266.JPG

Re storage:- I made some "H channels" out of timber and hung them from the ceiling. Our family car sits under them. Mostly light stuff such as camping gear in the hanging plastic boxes that only gets used couple of times a year. Plenty of nifty storage solutions for garages, just check out YouTube.

IMG_7265.JPG

Like those roof hangers!

Ah alas it's an old barn of a single car garage in this rental so I wont get away with anything like that. I have however found an acess under the house which looks fit for random stuff.

Yaaay.

Cardboard boxes take up less space if stored flat...

Indeed they do!

That shelf is the landlords and cant be moved. Ah there is a bit of consolidation in that corner.

As for the driveway, thankfully its long and flat sadly its a little narrow.

But yes most of the work I think will happen outside. I was kind hoping i'd have enough width to push it against a wall and work on it sans natures elements, I think I'll just have to plan my tinkering to allow ample pack up time. Ho Hum. So "sad" is my life (not really, very fortunate)

I've attached the vice to the tool box on wheels and this is going to become the bench, ah it will be ok.

Thanks for reminding me about that BOM trolley they made, love their videos.

Also how big is the man hole? access to the roof area of the house, usually lots of room up there to store light weight items.

I have cardboard boxes, car seats, dashboards, front guards etc in my roof space, a great place to stick anything that is not used regularly.

I would be very careful with those boxes hanging off the roof like that. I have had one of those boxes and the plastic crumbled away at some point. Luckily it was on the floor.

Renting places with landlord stuff hanging around is a total no-no. See if you can get them to move it or at least allow you to move the stuff on it elsewhere. It looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

The cheapest and easiest solution I see is to put some vertical timber (or steel if you find them cheap) posts around the shed and build a platform spanning the width and length on top. Like a second ceiling. That driveway doesn't look any more suitable with the soft strip down the middle. Maybe get a really large plank of thick plywood and lay it down and put above one of those semi-permanent pergolas on steel posts from bunnings. Some have removable side walls. You will run into the thousands but at least it won't rain on you when you work on the car. Or maybe look around if you can rent some shed/garage for cheap for a while.

How about something like this?
I know they are temporary structures, but the reviews are pretty good. Note one review says the green roof is much better quality than the standard white one, but the ones on special would be good for spares!
If you can tie these structures down well, they take a surprising amount of wind, especially in that semi-enclosed area between fences.
Offer the landlord that you will pave between the wheel paths for the length of the carport. Voila!
Might only last a couple of years, but it might be all you need.

I am not sure you get something of quality for 100 bucks. I bought a few of those but they are cheap crap. A marquise the same size cost about 300 bucks and they still blow away in the wind.

We had this one in the field that was made out of that old heavy duty style tent canvas with proper spring tensioners. Nice thing but I have no idea what it would cost. Haven't seen them in shops. We kept it up for an entire field season but we still had to weigh it down with 40 gallon drums full of water. Withstood the cyclone season well.

I would suggest you move the shelves up above the car roof line and take everything off the floor.
G'day,
this accepted a mountain of lightweight stuff, with chook wire over the top of the slats...
IMG_1074a.JPG

then I started on the floor space with those $13 pressed tin shelf sets from the green shed. I found that one could get three sets of them and turn them into two units so each was half as tall again - stability is good, particularly if you put them back to back.
Bob

G'day,
this accepted a mountain of lightweight stuff, with chook wire over the top of the slats...
View attachment 134272
then I started on the floor space with those $13 pressed tin shelf sets from the green shed. I found that one could get three sets of them and turn them into two units so each was half as tall again - stability is good, particularly if you put them back to back.
Bob

Oh ... top hat won't support much weight! you'll just twist it around and bend the sides off ? its probably only 0.75mm!

It's remarkable how lightly built shed are. They looks like c100 purlins for the frame.

Its the perfect weather for throwing up a leanto if you need more space (that's what I'm attempting to do ).

Is there anywhere in your yard you could fit a shipping container ? They would make a really good workshop. leaving the shed just for the car. WIth a container, next time you shift, you just load all of the house into the container, and have it dropped off at the new house :)

The car will roll easier on it's own wheels, than on dollies though. If it doesn't run, a boat winch somehow mounted to pull the car in and out of the shed will be easiest.
I agree with the boat winch idea. I had a post made and attached to my box trailer to which I could mount a boat winch. I used that for hauling dead ride-on lawnmowers and motorbikes onto the trailer. It was much easier than trying to drag them up the ramp onto the trailer.

Now, I know that the Renault 12 is a lot heavier than a ride-on mower, but it probably isn't that much heavier than some of the motorbikes which have been hauled up the ramp. Besides that, you can buy better ratio winches than I purchased for my 'small' jobs. And you can buy electric winches rather than the hand wind-up one I bought.

(But I do wish that my storage shed provider would return it and the other items he either stole or allowed someone else to steal when they were allowed access to my storage whilst I was overseas!)