Car Lifting Alternatives

This one looks to well optioned. It has the beam jack so you can easily lift an axle ..... and transport wheels so you can move it around

Edit: no I was wrong ... it says "rollign jack" .. ie: the beam jack. Not wheels to move it around (though I'm sure you could fit those tranport wheels to any hoist).

[/URL][/URL]

This one looks to well optioned. It has the beam jack so you can easily lift an axle ..... and transport wheels so you can move it around

Edit: no I was wrong ... it says "rollign jack" .. ie: the beam jack. Not wheels to move it around (though I'm sure you could fit those tranport wheels to any hoist).
That is very similar to the one I bought 40 years ago (really? Is it that long? 1980!).
I can assure you that would not be suitable for wheels to move the whole thing around. Those base plates are bolted into concrete floor with probably 4 bolts each. The top of each post is tilted out approx 12-13mm to allow flex when the weight is on them. The ends of the cross beams are hanging on cables in the upright columns and are not a tight fit. It would be a very wobbly device if not bolted down.
I know they make hoists that can be moved, but I'm sure they will be specially designed for it.
On the other hand, this hoist (above) looks to be a pretty decent unit. I like the rolling scissor jack. Mine had a sliding flat support cross beam between the ramps, and I used a hydraulic bottle jack. This type of hoist is very good to be set up for wheel aligning as you can adjust each corner to get perfectly level ramps.
I didn't see the price of this one on a quick look, but for comparison I think mine was about $3500 in 1980 from Repco, I installed it myself.

(Edit: I see they are about the same price now - which means they are about 4 times cheaper - relatively speaking !!).

Last edited:
It is important to consider the purpose of the lifting device. If working on the car is the main use, there are limitations with a 4-post and a 2-post works better in my view.
From a cost standpoint, second hand units from a reputable manufacturer can be reasonably priced and get my vote over new units from an unknown source. My used 2-post european made lift was $1200 for instance.
Some 3-phase motors can be fed 240v via a VSD, at additional cost off course. So not a show stopper if you find that niche piece of kit that works perfectly for you.

It is important to consider the purpose of the lifting device. If working on the car is the main use, there are limitations with a 4-post and a 2-post works better in my view.
From a cost standpoint, second hand units from a reputable manufacturer can be reasonably priced and get my vote over new units from an unknown source. My used 2-post european made lift was $1200 for instance.
Some 3-phase motors can be fed 240v via a VSD, at additional cost off course. So not a show stopper if you find that niche piece of kit that works perfectly for you.

I've never used a hoist. I've always figured a 4post is the way to go if you own citroens as:

-you can get the citroen onto the hoist if it doesn't run
-you can set the heights
-I'd hate putting these cars with no real "jacking points" onto a 2poster (jack stands are bad enough)
-I don't have any concrete floor I'd trust a 2poster on
-I can setup the front ends on a 4poster

I'm sure you guys that actually own hoists can tell me now 100 reasons why 2 posters are better :)

BTW: I thought phase converters were quite expensive. I have looked into them in the past. If you could find one, it would allow the purchase of very cheap "old stuff" that is no longer wanted by industy. eg: big bench grinders, drill presses, compressors, tyre changers etc .... anything 3phase no-one else can really use.

This is how I get around the issue of not having a hoist (if that helps).

ramps.jpg

I have a set of full length ramps. They do take some shed space (I just leave a car parked on them). These ones would be an excellent deal for $500 ... they probably come with turntables too.

If buying an imported edition it would be wise to check there quality as a long time mechanic friend purchased same..SCRAP METAL WOULD DESCRIBE IT BEAT.Chinese companies do make high quality products and have done so for many dacedes .BUT THE QUALITY IS MOSTLY RELATED TO THE INTEGRITY OF THE PURCHASER.

G'day,

well, I've been putting off servicing the BA cos it gets wobbly on jacks here, and I'm an old fart, also the front is too low to the ground for standard ramps.

These arrived today...
s-l1600.jpeg

$50, more or less the pair, and they are just enough to get reasonable access to sump etc, winner.... :)

So, a tad wider and say 100mm tall and they'd be better, but at this price I'm happy. Aaaah, item 362507320233

cheers,
Bob

G'day,

well, I've been putting off servicing the BA cos it gets wobbly on jacks here, and I'm an old fart, also the front is too low to the ground for standard ramps.

These arrived today...
View attachment 129179

$50, more or less the pair, and they are just enough to get reasonable access to sump etc, winner.... :)

So, a tad wider and say 100mm tall and they'd be better, but at this price I'm happy. Aaaah, item 362507320233

cheers,
Bob
That's still not going to leave you much room underneath :) Are you going to use them as a run up to higher ramps ?

On a different "lifting" theme.... I've been trying to move around engines again .... Has anyone worked out a way of moving engines/heavy things around sheds that don't have a floor ?

20210108_115111.jpg

20210108_115138.jpg

This is far from ideal...... I need to pull the ROPS and exhaust from the tractor to clear the shed doors.... and you can't move the damn thing around once your inside the shed. an engine crane with big rolling wheels is probably the answer (obviously it would then be no good to lift motors out of car as it sits to high). As you can see the engine cranes wheels fell through the carry all floor half way there.

Reactions: COL
That's still not going to leave you much room underneath :) Are you going to use them as a run up to higher ramps ?

On a different "lifting" theme.... I've been trying to move around engines again .... Has anyone worked out a way of moving engines/heavy things around sheds that don't have a floor ?

View attachment 129197

View attachment 129198

This is far from ideal...... I need to pull the ROPS and exhaust from the tractor to clear the shed doors.... and you can't move the damn thing around once your inside the shed. an engine crane with big rolling wheels is probably the answer (obviously it would then be no good to lift motors out of car as it sits to high). As you can see the engine cranes wheels fell through the carry all floor half way there.
Hi Shane

I would be building a frame that attaches to the 3 point linkage, that the engine crane can be bolted to.

Would be very stable and practical as well.

Hi Shane

I would be building a frame that attaches to the 3 point linkage, that the engine crane can be bolted to.

Would be very stable and practical as well.

That would be very easy to do ... you would just weld/bolt some CAT 2 (or 1) linkage pins to the existing crane. I still can't move the tractor easily around sheds with no floors though ... hmmmm.

Ideal would be a nice 20 x 12meter shed in the side paddock with 4+ meter wall height. that way stuff could be moved around witout height restrictions (my brother has a forklift that could be used in it too). I just need to win tattslotto :)

G'day Shane,
nope, there's just enough so I can get to the sump and oil filter - rear axle was just OK before these things, now it's a breeze. All I need at the moment.... (y)
Bob

Has anyone worked out a way of moving engines/heavy things around sheds that don't have a floor ?
last time I moved motors 'n stuff around on my own, young 'n silly, I made up a thing like a barrow but with two wheels, lots of water pipe and angle iron. Made the job a breeze, likely it's rusting away down the back, If I can find it I'll take a picture
Bob

G'day,
there are "standard" rise plastic versions as well...

1610137032130.png
this one is item 192292668294

Dunno if it fits the BA though, have to get the tape out... :)

cheers,
Bob

Looks like a version of my 50 mm planks, but less flexible.

Most plain steel ramps slip and throw themselves forward when you drive off. These ramps aren't as steep - do they do this?

G'day,
the low height version that I got didn't move on gravel/dirt - it has angular holes right through it, likely it digs in. Dunno about sealed surfaces
Bob

last time I moved motors 'n stuff around on my own, young 'n silly, I made up a thing like a barrow but with two wheels, lots of water pipe and angle iron. Made the job a breeze, likely it's rusting away down the back, If I can find it I'll take a picture
Bob
G'day Shane,

here's the engine barrow....
DSCN0060a.JPG

DSCN0061a.JPG

DSCN0062a.JPG

total length is 5-6 feet, and, looking at it now, a tad over-engineered I think... :)

This worked really well, made to get a Triumph 2000 motor and gearbox assembly back in place - from underneath.

cheers,
Bob