Car Lifting Alternatives

geodon

Fellow Frogger
Father Time is shouting at me that I need to make lifting cars easier on my body.

I really need a 2 post garage hoist but will need to build a new high clearance shed with a decent slab to accommodate it & I'm hesitant to part with that amount of dosh at this stage in life.

I like these:

However, due to huge difference in wheelbases of my vehicles (esp the Big 6), it's impossible to get one system to does the lot. Plus, they consume a lot of space to store.

I can make lifting MUCH easier with one or two of these:

A new compressor would be needed (mine is 40yo & wont get to the 100-140psi required) and I'd team them with some high lift stands & a decent trolley to lie/roll around on. But I would spend far less than on the above option. It would probably take "two bites at the cherry" to get the car to a reasonable height (~ 500mm).

High car stands may be an issue but I could weld up some frames to do a safe job.

Comments?

I have a scissor lift hoist , fits every thing from my SM to the land crusier.
You can park on it if not needed as a hoist , plus it gos full height so you can walk under the car , no bending or creeper boards.

I have a scissor lift hoist , fits every thing from my SM to the land crusier.
You can park on it if not needed as a hoist , plus it gos full height so you can walk under the car , no bending or creeper boards.

[/URL][/URL]
checkout this odd looking thing.

https://www.powerrexengineering.com.au/lion-lift

Does the scissor lifts allow enough access to use an engine crane ? Or do the engine crane legs hit the scissor mechanism.

Thanks guys but I should have said I only have a ~2800mm clearance under my shed's Oregon beams so those suggestions aren't much help

Thanks guys but I should have said I only have a ~2800mm clearance under my shed's Oregon beams so those suggestions aren't much help
2800 mm should be just enough to stand under a car , measure from the sills ( not the bottom of tyres ) to the roof , subtract this figure from 2800 and if the answer is more then your height you are OK .

checkout this odd looking thing.

https://www.powerrexengineering.com.au/lion-lift

Does the scissor lifts allow enough access to use an engine crane ? Or do the engine crane legs hit the scissor mechanism.
My hoist allows plenty of room for an engine hoist , the car is wheels free when lifted and you can even poke the crane in from the side .
The odd thing in the link is for wheel alignments , car must sit on its wheels for alignments , scroll down to scissor lifts .

Rally your 2nd last post inspired me!

Measuring from the sills to the roof, the MGA won't be a problem, the Dauphine is ~1200mm & the big 6 is ~1300mm. I'm 1750 tall so I won't be able to stand BUT I could use a stool dolly on castors to scoot around! The 404 with its canopy is ~1800 so I'll have to lie on my back for that one or take the canopy & frame off.

I'll talk with hoist suppliers. I may have to dig 2 pits to provide thicker concrete pads to take the hoist posts but that's WAY cheaper than a new shed.

2800 mm should be just enough to stand under a car , measure from the sills ( not the bottom of tyres ) to the roof , subtract this figure from 2800 and if the answer is more then your height you are OK .
his land cruiser maybe problematic :clown:

Rally your 2nd last post inspired me!

Measuring from the sills to the roof, the MGA won't be a problem, the Dauphine is ~1200mm & the big 6 is ~1300mm. I'm 1750 tall so I won't be able to stand BUT I could use a stool dolly on castors to scoot around! The 404 with its canopy is ~1800 so I'll have to lie on my back for that one or take the canopy & frame off.

I'll talk with hoist suppliers. I may have to dig 2 pits to provide thicker concrete pads to take the hoist posts but that's WAY cheaper than a new shed.
Do you have the space to put a leanto against the side of your shed ? It wouldn't be expensive to build a 6 x 6 leanto .... that that council doesn't need to know about :clown: I built one with purlin and top hat baton. from memory it was less than $2k for a 12 x 6 meter leanto with new colourbond roof.

Councils now use aerial photos each year. They use computer scanning to identify changes such as as lean-to constructions
As well as a fine for no building permit, will need to demolish or submit Engineering plans and drawings and apply for a building permit

Councils now use aerial photos each year. They use computer scanning to identify changes such as as lean-to constructions
As well as a fine for no building permit, will need to demolish or submit Engineering plans and drawings and apply for a building permit
depends where you live :) .... if your out on acerage they likely won't care! Our council is absolutely appalling to deal with. Just try to get anything like a permit from them and see how you go ...... AARRrrrrhhhh (actually these days, you need to hire a suveyor and they attempt to get the permit for you). You have no idea the bullshit involved in trying to get a permit from our council for a simple house extension .... on acerage with no overshadow issues, no fences or neighbours, no land clearing ...... it gets the blood boiling just thinking about it:(

if your worried about permits. Another alternative would be a 6 x 4 patch of concrete beside your existing shed (maybe where the PA door is). Put a 4 post hoist on this pad, then "build" a roof for the hoist. ie: a lightweight frame thats bolted to the ramps. The hoist goes up .... the "roof" goes up ... hoist goes down ... roof goes down.. This doesn't stop the wind blasting through when your working on the car though.

Given its all bolt in (ie: hoist/roof) you shoudn't need a permit ?

I'm very interested in this hoist.

The air jacks are bloody brilliant (they expand out like 2post hoist lift point and allow each/both axles to be lifted from the hoist). In one video he's trying to move the junk around his shed. So he lowers the hoist down onto its its wheels .... with the full sized twin cab f350 sitting on it .... and pushes the hoist around with car on it ... with one hand!

If you had something like this. You would make a concrete slab infront of your shed doors, and if you need to lift something high, you would just wheel the hoist outside.

I wonder if we could buy this hoist in Australia ?

Do you have the space to put a leanto against the side of your shed ? It wouldn't be expensive to build a 6 x 6 leanto .... that that council doesn't need to know about :clown: I built one with purlin and top hat baton. from memory it was less than $2k for a 12 x 6 meter leanto with new colourbond roof.
Wow!

Lateral thinking at its best. Thank you Shane!

No room on the side BUT enough room in front.

In fact the front of the workshop was/is as ugly as a broken butt so I put a gable façade on it but the damn thing rotted & fell off.

5metres wide, 7 metres long & I could start with just a roof on 4 posts as it will be sheltered on 3 sides.

A slab won't be essential, just pads for the hoist posts & crushed rock for the rest.

The hoist mechanism will be under the roof but open to wind etc. but I've seen tyre shops with hoist out in the weather!

IMG_2607.JPG

I
Wow!

Lateral thinking at its best. Thank you Shane!

No room on the side BUT enough room in front.

In fact the front of the workshop was/is as ugly as a broken butt so I put a gable façade on it but the damn thing rotted & fell off.

5metres wide, 7 metres long & I could start with just a roof on 4 posts as it will be sheltered on 3 sides.

A slab won't be essential, just pads for the hoist posts & crushed rock for the rest.

The hoist mechanism will be under the roof but open to wind etc. but I've seen tyre shops with hoist out in the weather!

View attachment 128300

I'm just thinking about how bitterly cold it is 6months of the year in the shed, let alone outside where its windy. In that video above. scoot forward to 17minutes and 30seconds and watch how easy the hoist is to move around. So if you got a hoist like this. You could store a car on it in the shed and one beneath it (when not in use). Work on the smaller cars in the shed over winter, but roll the thing outside in summer to work and the taller cars. You'd just need to put a nice concrete pad infront of the shed (given your not mounting the hoist to it, the concrete could be cheap, thin and self poured..... so long as its level).

I reckon I'd pay good money for that wildfire hoist if I could buy one locally. As it can be just wheeled around where ever its needed. the air jacks though ...... unbelievable. its like a 2post and 4post hoist in one

It's worth keeping in mind that if you are driving end on into a gabled roof "carport" structure, without header beams at the entry end, that your lift height clearance (car roof) is at least 600mm more than the wall height in the centre section with a 5.0 metre wide carport.

I am using that to effect on my carport except I am entering from the side, so my increased height is only available once my camper/caravan is inside, then I can lift the roof of the van.

hmmm, the stuff that comedies and cartoons are made of.... don't forget the the roof is up.... :)

Bit like bringing the van home with the nice new AC on the roof...

Bob

how do you intend to power this thing ,there are 240 volt options available i think, but most are 3 phase