Car cover- for outdoor storage

Harry504

Tadpole
Hi all, due to renovations I’m about to lose my garage..... permanently. So my 504 will be open to the elements. Does anyone have any advice/ experience with car covers for storing cars outdoors? Have a relatively clean 504 that I want to keep that way. Does anyone keep their car under an outdoor car cover? Any brands or companies they would recommend? I imagine a good outdoor cover would keep any rust at bay?🤞 Any advice/ feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

No matter how good the cover, won't condensation still form if it's outside, particularly during Winter ?

Some possible problems - 1. The cover will eventually leak and need replacing and you also need to buy a very good quality one 2. Ensure all window seals etc do not leak otherwise the car will rust from the inside out, i.e, from inside the cabin out. 3. Depending on the surface the car is parked on, you may well get condensation under the car.

i had my car under a gazebo type structure for a decade or so and it did a great job of protecting the car from the elements.

I reckon a gazebo carport thingo would be great. One problem I had with car covers is that they stop air circulation and any trapped moisture wont evaporate.

Some of them are vented, with flaps over the vents. Will not circulate freely, but better than nothing.

Get one that is 2 layers, with a solid outside and a fine fabric inside. Some have tabs to secure to the wheels.

Your location in Coburg is not a place with high humidity or salty air so a car parked in the street shouldn't rust .If you do get a cover get one that is 2 layers and remove it on fine days so its not on for too long.

Be careful if the car is parked in a windy area. Wind can blow dust and grit into areas between the cover and the paintwork. This, combined with any movement or flapping of the car cover can damage the car's paint work over time.
I 've used Col's suggestion; a good clean, wax and regular washing.

Last edited:
Car port covering - durable

I was watching a cable TV program a few days back and the mission was to build a hothouse in snow country and they used a simple hoop design for the uprights and then put a clear cellular material over top as a roofing material not sure how durable their material was as it looked almost like clear Corflute style material (Plastic cardboard) and that was locked down on the hoops with screw fasteners, quick and easy construction and said to withstand heavy winter snow cover.

Thought at the time this would make a nice easy carport cover to drive in under and easily removable and relocatable as a two man job.

Had a look at materials (didn't look for corflute as that is probably not up to the durability test) but there is this stuff, probably expensive. just an idea as from what we have seen on other threads like this every car cover has problems ranging from trapped condensation (rusting) or abrasion.

Polycarbonate Honeycomb Plastic Sheet , Greenhouse Clear Roof Panels For Pergola

Ken

Any car cover touching the paintwork will wrecking the paint job....Guaranteed

Best bet go to a retirement village and find a vacant spot to store your car

What about one of those things that look like a plastic walled nissen hut?

I used good covers for some time and they help a bit but don't keep the car truly dry, especially if parked over grass or dirt - any greenery pumps out water and oxygen ( photosynthesis ) and damp in the ground evaporates up.

Cars rust from the inside out

There are pod type devices which also have a floor

At the very least I would have it on black plastic or suchlike and would try to ensure that any cover allowed good circulation and did not touch the paintwork. This gets you into the upper league of car covers

Try to use the car as much as possible

Andrew

Whatever you use make sure you arnt making a nice cozy place for rodents to camp for the winter ,i recently sold an old vw van i have owned for 8 years, on inspection the prospective buyer found the left hand low beam and indicator not working ,after replanting globes with no result ,i followed the wiring loom under the van to find a section eaten out by bush rats ,4 wires with about 3cm missing all together ,i had to solder ,new bits in ,all my cars now have wax block baits installed ,which are continually being chomped on ,and they particularly like leather ,i had a customer that had there recaro seats totally ruined by rats ,they found there way in by chewing through the gear shift boot ,im on a rural block ,pugs

This is turning into a useful thread on the pitfalls and problems of storing cars outside. Good info. Seems like there's nothing quite like a good shed.

Thanks all, I think I’ll try some of my neighbours who may have a spare garage. Sounds like long term, a car cover won’t be a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Car covers are not a substitute for a "gsrage" and never were.
They were made to provide protection solely from sun, bird droppings and tree sap.
And I'm pretty sure that instructions that come with it tells you to take it off often.
John