Car Alarms

gibgib

Local Tyrant
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Last night a meteorite hit the back window of my Berlingo van & smashed it.
A kind person or persons looking at the sky thought it might rain so generously removed test equipment from the van so as not to get wet.
These items will appear at my doorstep later & I shall be most grateful evil

Has anyone got any opinions on car alarms?
I buying one today so a quick response would be great.

Hi Gerry,

this is the reason I fitted an alarm to my car. You see car alarms aren't worth a pinch of sh!t unless your within hearing distance of the car. As a lot of burgulars know your car will be parked in the same place at the same time everynight it makes you an easy target (and hey what do you know, your own drive is in hearing distance).

So get yourself an alarm, and a 6foot staff (to 'belt' the meteorites away from your car with eek! eek! )

I hate alarms with knock sensors, they false alarm to often (and for some reason in my case I hate alarms with tilt sensors as well :confused: Think about it :D ) I'd fit a microwave sensor shooting through the back of the van and just door pin sensors. You should have next to know false alarms, so you know you need to go play 'cricket' with meteorites whenever the alarm sounds :D :p :p :D

good luck
Shane L.
PS: Try to get an alarm with several keys, the BX has a Mongoose alarm and it's keys are still going strong some 14years later. I've bought cheap alarms before and the keys have a woefully short life (you'll be lucky to get more than 12months out of them)

I personally hate car alarms but it is a neccessity when dishonesty is rife.

I know what you mean by the shock censors as a Cit comes to rest.

Will probably get a ultrasonics one for the back but that doesn't stop the window being smashed :mad:
Windscreens O'Brien have just told me Citroen won't have a replacement until next Friday. 7 days.. great frown

Hi Gibgib,

I don't like car alarms either. The only reason I was thinking microwave instead of ultrasonic is my car has ultrasonic. It tends to trip with rapid changes of temperature inside the cars :(

Other than that it's great, escpecialy if you turn the sensitivity right down. (I hate car alarms that trip for no reason :mad: )

seeya,
Shane L.

gibgib,

Brad's away at the moment but he's done a lot with alarms. He's got one on the CX that is done somehow in conjunction with the Alpine ICE equipment and is supposdly the beez kneez. In Sydney it would probably pay to talk to Strathfields as I seem to remember their name being mentioned in the same breath as alarms.
As regards the rear window, try a Pilkington Glass franchisee as we have found them to be much more in tune with Citroen screens as well as being a damn sight cheaper. As an example, I had a screen out in the Spectron & then a few months later, Brad hads one in the CX. The CX was $30 cheaper than the CX and was ordered one day & fitted the next.

Alan S

I would not necessarily say that shock sensors are inferior to sonic detectors. Each have their benefits. Ultasonics are more prone to false alarm than a 'good' shock sensor because the temperature in your car and wind etc will change more often then someone would knock your car. A good knock sensor will have multiple stages of alarm'ness' so a slught knock will result in a small beep to warn anyone.

The best choice is to use a mixture of both, with their sensitivity set down low so as to be best suited for their intended application.

The brand you choose is very importance. Go for one of the DEI brands, Viper being one. These brands also offer payouts for breakins and should reduce your insurance somewhat.

try Flashpoint or Brant

Piranha/Flashpoint (www.superalarm.com.au)- they are the one doing all the alarms for Mercedes & Alfa Romeo as OEM in Australia. They are made in Italy.

They can customise anything for your alarm, even an alert on your mobile phone when your alarm is activated........

They also offer upgrades to your existing car (ie. using everything original from your car....no new motors for central locking, use the factory immobliser, use the factory central locking remote control to operate the alarm, no unnecessary drilling, etc) I'm going to fit their upgrade to my 206 soon.

Brant - <a href="http://www.brant.com.au" target="_blank">www.brant.com.au</a>
they do all the alarms as OEM on Subaru WRX and Liberties...........

they are a bit pricey; as people say 'you get what you paid for'

I was wanting to fit a brant for the 306 but they said they couldn't fit the model i wanted due to complications with the central locking and the imobilisor of the pug. When i did get one installed, it took the guy all day to do because he was also having complications with the central locking. 2 hour job turned to 7 hours! eek!