Captur 2018 1.2

Hi tazfrog :)
I was taught that you should not clean plugs with a wire wheel or even use a hand wire brush much on the working bits, just the threads. It leaves a metal residue on the ceramic which is conductive. Also any rare metal tips may be removed. In the old days I just scraped out the inside with a long hacksaw blade ground down if needed for carbon removal and just solvent clean with a tooth brush if needed and a flame too. But generally I have not done any of that for quite a while now. Plugs are cheap.:cool:
My Captur has now done 38000 Km and had the plugs replaced last service on a time based service. Hmm. But it was going OK before and after, doing mostly short runs around town. Occasional long run with no problems. And I might say I use E10 mostly also. So I am yet to see any plug problems or even the plugs themselves.o_O
Jaahn

Hi tazfrog :)
I was taught that you should not clean plugs with a wire wheel or even use a hand wire brush much on the working bits, just the threads. It leaves a metal residue on the ceramic which is conductive. Also any rare metal tips may be removed. In the old days I just scraped out the inside with a long hacksaw blade ground down if needed for carbon removal and just solvent clean with a tooth brush if needed and a flame too. But generally I have not done any of that for quite a while now. Plugs are cheap.:cool:
My Captur has now done 38000 Km and had the plugs replaced last service on a time based service. Hmm. But it was going OK before and after, doing mostly short runs around town. Occasional long run with no problems. And I might say I use E10 mostly also. So I am yet to see any plug problems or even the plugs themselves.o_O
Jaahn

Hello Jaahn....yes, I'm aware of that...I only wire brush the threads to make sure they are clean
and do not gaul the alloy in the head....that's why I have always used Nickel ant-seize.
I do not touch the ceramic or the tips as it's quite easy to damage them.
I adjust the gap with the correct gapping tool and always use a wire gauge to set gaps.
I wouldn't say plugs are cheap....not iridiums any way at around $27 each.
I use Caltex Vortex 95.