Can't sell a Cit?? Maybe Wayne Carr's fault

Alan S

1000+ Posts
I heard this one today which if it's correct, and the person who told me had no reason to lie, could explain in part why we have so much strife selling Cits. in this country.
Apparently on one of the radio programs (either 2UE network or the ABC which is what this person listens to) they have a guy who comes on giving advice on cars. This extends from what price you should pay to what you should expect as a trade-in (affectionately known in the trade as "crystal-ball appraisals") along with advice on what to look for when buying a car. A listener apparently rang & asked for his opinion on a Citroen. The advice was to not touch a Citroen with a barge pole as they were so unbelieveably unreliable that they could look forward to repair bills of $20 - $30,000 over a very short period of time (one to two years was suggested.)
Now for mine, I don't think I have spent that amount on all my Cits including purchase of the cars over a 17 year period and if people are being charged that amount then it must be high time that instead of castigating the vehicles that perhaps it might be a little more productive if this type of character spent a little more time speaking to long time owners and less time propping the bar up at the local boozer wher many of these stories have their roots. I know that unscrupulous repairers have a party with new Cit owners and any effort to rid the trade of these parasites would be a blessing for all.
I don't think you have to be a genius to work out how many people heard that and will be all too keen to pass on this gem of wisdom to someone contemplating buying a Cit. It would be interesting to hear what his opinion of a corresponding model Pug would be. You could lay odds he would not be aware that some Cits now run on tin springs and it is even possible (believe it or not) that he may not know that they pour both out of the one tap.
Don't know his name for sure but somehow when I say Wayne Carr quickly it seems to fit
rolleyes.gif
Did anyone else hear this show or hear of it??

Alan S

I listen to 2UE & during Mike Carlton's show they do a Drive segment. I think it was on yesterday but I didn't hear anything about Citroen.
The guy Mike speaks to just talks a bunch of shite about how great Holedons & Bitsofshitty are, he does not however, take any calls or give advice.
Me thinks it may have been ABC in the evening (late).
Annoys me that this would be said. Just when Citroen starts to get a bit "main stream" in Australia (NRMA, Vitoria Coffee exposure) some tosser blatantly spews up a dumbass comment like that
mad.gif

I think you guys up there should find out who this idiot is and make him realise that if he can't give proper advise than the should get off the air. Ask him which car company paid him to slander Citroen.

David.

Dave,

I am trying to find out which program it was on as I am fairly sure it is a national show. If I can find out I intend trying to get on live to air & have a hunk of him which knowing the media they will be only too happy to let me do with the intention of trying to make me look like a goose in the hope I'll go to water with stage fright being that it is on the radio. If I track him down I'll post here prior to the event, so that you guys can tune in because something he won't be aware of is that I am an experienced radio interviewer
rolleyes.gif
That could make for a very interesting live interview.

Alan S

Yes, most comments levelled against Citroens are unfair. But every time I ask a mechanic about his opinion on Cit's the answer inevitably is either "You must have more money than sense" or he's licking his lips in anticipation "That's more money for me!". It seems this is not an uncommon stereotype amongst 'motoring' people.