canary in my dash

jo proffi

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
sometimes,always in the wet,my fuego's dash sounds like it has a canary in it. at first I thought it was the speedo cable,as it only hapens with momentum, but discovered that my drivers side interior light pulses in sympathy with the canary,making me think maybe the canary is the light-on alarm,and the problem is in the electrics,not a physical rattle.Any pointers would be appreciated,as I dont have a clue where to start and it's begining to do my head in.

Maybe if you try to undo the panel the fusebox is attatched (2 screws) and unplug the buzzer box (black square box to the left) it would tell you if it is the buzzer making the noise.

Are you sure it doesn't do this whenever the lights are on? sounds like a short, because the buzzer should only sound when the lights are on AND when either door is open, AND the ignition is on.

I would maybe suggest that water was getting into the switches in the door.. Just a guess.

Jo
Can't really help with this one, but I had the same problem occur on my 86, very weird and only
in very heavy rain a few months back. After the
electrics dried out the noise went away and up until I went on holidays it hadn't returned. I
suspected that the moisture was shorting back to
the buzzer. I checked all of the board connectors and gave them my standard treatment by
quickly wiping a small electric soldering iron along the copper foil and using resin cored solder to leave a fine trail to improve the contact surface and eliminating any burnt connections (bypassing but still using fuzed connectors)and resoldering any dodgy fuze holders.

It seemed to work. Good luck
Ken (currently in Scotland)