Can’t Separate Sump From Engine 206

SydenhamHunter

Tadpole
Trying to remove a cracked alloy engine sump from the EW10 in my 2.0 206 GTi.
All bolts are undone including ones connected to AC pump, oil return line and gearbox bellhousing, but still cant get the bugger separated from the engine.
Have tried tapping around the with a very fine flathead screwdriver, as well as knocking the sides with a rubber mallet.

Is there something I’m missing? Any tips much appreciated.

Tap the sides with a heavy hammer...it has more momentum. Put a piece of pine on the sump first, though if it is cracked already it doesn't matter.

Put screwdriver in between sump and block and tap with heavy hammer or heavy object.

Check all bolts are out, count holes on gasket and then ensure you have same number in hand
Have been caught out myself
Then get a blade in-between sump and block and hammer around.
Levering likely to damage block as well

Reactions: UNM
I haven't had to remove an EW10 sump, but if it is like the HDI engines, the sealant used is also a very strong adhesive. If so, it will need careful cutting out with a sharp scraper and hammer.

Better off using a big rubber mallet, for tyre fitting.
Might be bolts by the flywheel.

After checking you got all the bolts, and if you think it's a strong adhesive, make a long wedge out of really hard wood and use it as a chisel to get between the block and sump. It will be a softer material than either so won't damage the block. And use as heavy a hammer as you can find.....more momentum.

All good suggestions. I keep around old scrap electronics' fibreglass PCB I sharpen the side to a knife edge and use that. PCB won't leave splinters behind and it's pretty damn tough but not brittle like scraper blades.

Try a hot air gun and the mentioned wedging cutting methods.
Try not to use a flame.....too many things to burn...
This has worked for me in the past....