Camshaft

robo

Fellow Frogger
I am in need of camshaft regrinding so I’m looking for advice on the best place to have it done.
Thanks
I’m in Melbourne.

If you haven't got this done by now.Perhaps you can find the man that bought out Wade Cams I think his name is Bert? .something, they were -- with Merv Waggott the aces on cam grinding.
The standard factory cams couldn't be improved on --on my dyno Jim Reddiex tried some so called supa dupa profiles on a 2.4 litre engine with webers etc --ended up back at stock cam.

Clive Cams in Ferntree Gully is the business referred to above.

Traditional values and service from this family operated business.
Clive is a font of knowledge when it comes to cams. He used to work at Wades.

Happy to recommend. Yes, I buy cams from them and respect his experience on profiles, you can too.

Clive Cams in Ferntree Gully is the business referred to above.

Traditional values and service from this family operated business.
Clive is a font of knowledge when it comes to cams. He used to work at Wades.

Happy to recommend. Yes, I buy cams from them and respect his experience on profiles, you can too.
it is at Clive, Cams nice guy And he has the masters for traction 6 & 4‘S

Hi all,

How does one know when your cams need regrinding? Is it typically a standalone task for which there are obvious symptoms, or is it as part of a complete engine rebuild and would be done for each one of those?

Probably a dumb question sorry. But it does give me the chance to say:

Welcome back to AF Richo, it's such a pleasure to see your moniker back in action . I don't forget how much help you gave me in my early ID ownership days.

Cheers Leconte

Last edited:
Hi all,
How does one know when your cams need regrinding? Is it typically a standalone task for which there are obvious symptoms, or is it as part of a complete engine rebuild and would be done for each one of those?
Probably a dumb question sorry. But it does give me the change to say:
Welcome back to AF Richo, it's such a pleasure to see your moniker back in action . I don't forget how much help you gave me in my early ID ownership days. Cheers Leconte
Hi Leconte :)
Well if the lubrication has been satisfactory over the life, as the old cam system is not over stressed it can be assumed to be OK unless demonstrated otherwise. When you do an overhaul you would visually inspect the cam and the lifters for wear and problems. Often refacing the lifters or fitting new ones may be a good idea. But if the cam looks worn you can measure the base circle and the lobe lift to put some figures on it compared to the original spec if available or to the others.:rolleyes: But I would say if it looks OK then good, if it looks bad then do it.

It was common for V8s to badly wear some lobes and after a lot of miles it might be running on 7 or even 6 cylinders because the valves were not opening much.The owners may not have even noticed ??🥴 Citroen owners are more sensitive I am sure :cool:
Jaahn

Hi all,

Probably a dumb question sorry. But it does give me the change to say:

Welcome back to AF Richo, it's such a pleasure to see your moniker back in action . I don't forget how much help you gave me in my early ID ownership days.

Cheers Leconte
My cam looked good the only reason I’m getting it done is because I’m replacing the lifters and it probably worn to suit the old ones.

Thanks Jaahn!
I hope to have my '62 ID engine properly rebuilt one day. I don't have the equipment or experience to do it myself.
Cheers Leconte

Thanks Jaahn!
I hope to have my '62 ID engine properly rebuilt one day. I don't have the equipment or experience to do it myself.
Cheers Leconte
Have a look at this video to see what a crook cam looks like. Strangely on the V8s some lobes seemed to wear out completely but most do not. I have never seen this on other motors and 4cyl engines are usually good if they had good oil in them. Some VWs had serious cam problems. But old motors might have suffered any abuse over the years so just check them out.
Cheer Jaahn

Got my cam back yesterday, looks good.
E16EF418-2698-4BC5-B2A6-063A3483714D.jpeg

Depending on personal taste you could choose to have the camshaft modified for more get up and go. This may be a good time to consider modifications. Back about the middle of last century we had a DS19 camshaft reground to FIAT specs ... for a more sporty performance. many will have done similar. On the twin choke DS19 carburettor it had far more get up and go than the standard ID Solex.
I am sure others will add more.

Well if the lubrication has been satisfactory over the life, as the old cam system is not over stressed it can be assumed to be OK unless demonstrated otherwise. When you do an overhaul you would visually inspect the cam and the lifters for wear and problems. Often refacing the lifters or fitting new ones may be a good idea. But if the cam looks worn you can measure the base circle and the lobe lift to put some figures on it compared to the original spec if available or to the others.:rolleyes: But I would say if it looks OK then good, if it looks bad then do it.

It was common for V8s to badly wear some lobes and after a lot of miles it might be running on 7 or even 6 cylinders because the valves were not opening much.The owners may not have even noticed ??🥴 Citroen owners are more sensitive I am sure :cool:
Jaahn

rovers sure do ... the cam in the ones i've just had the valley cover off looked like eroded, stained junk. I used a micrometer to measure the lift of each lifter. They were all pretty much exactly 5.85mm lift ..... and each lifter rotated nicely as I rolled the motor over by hand. I called that "good enough" even though it looks like junk :) If the lifters are rotating/spinning there faces must still be ok, and so must the cam lobes :confused: