Cals Cars

... sucker for self punishment, however being able to offload the lackey work means that my involvement will be relatively minimal, and expences next to nothing for what will be a great improvement on the car, What strengthening did your car get?
Not short of a project already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I keep forgetting to PM you but if you're going to strip that silver gti6... You mentioned the seats are in great condition? Wish I was in Vic I'd buy them off you to help fund the 205 rebuild!

Yeah, the big wide land has its downers, i can set them aside for you if you'd like, surely a frogger will be making the trip at some point,
Hey, I keep forgetting to PM you but if you're going to strip that silver gti6... You mentioned the seats are in great condition? Wish I was in Vic I'd buy them off you to help fund the 205 rebuild!

On the 205 (gti6 engine) If I block each connection on the engine to delete this section there's no issue is there? It is only a supply for the heater right? I'm only worried it is used as a recirculation if the thermostat is closed...
058b2f2171905b9f73295bc0742dee9d.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk

Thought about this a little more, it is the thermostat bypass so.I.Will need to connect the green marked connection back to the water pump connection yeah?

The red one can be closed off and the corresponding outlet on the steel distribution pipe?
9a807bd2452761ad3ab84e588562780a.jpg
c9e4627586b449e0ad38d3caae0e1d77.jpg

Work has taken over again but little things happening.

Api has stripped everything from one car and starting on the other, the new shell looks in great order, no surprises,which is nice. Apis a solid dude and dwarfs the 205s

I have assembled almost everything I needed from underneath the red car now, the power steering system and and brakes are done, as Well as the cooling lines.

Work has well and truly taken over any serious project time, a hours tinker here and there has been about it and so I have made the decision for the little Red 205 to go up to Huw to get done finally, and properly, without the necessary time and dedication i feared it was A, never going to get done or worse B, be half done. After everything i have put into it to this point, it was an easy decision and now very much looking forward to it again.
The 505 Wagon now has a finished motor, custom forged rods, pistons, crank reground to give a couple mm more stroke, running 7.5:1 with a Disco Potato (GT2860rs) Also had the Auto built by Dave @ Torque Shift in Pakenham, Very highly worked, now a 4HP24 hybrid of sorts, upgraded planetary, clutches, springs and valve body modifications, strengthed input shafts and a deep sump, very impressed with Daves work and fantastic communication with intimate knowledge of the ZF box.
things should start going back into the car very soon.

With the two big builds sorted, I have been left to play with the others, The White SI had its first outing on the weekend at the Khanacross hosted by the PAC, apart from a few little things leading up to it, that car preformed beautifully, it is a absolute hoot to drive, fast revving and short geared it is highly engaging and easily thrown around.

have started to go through the brake system on the 404, I replaced the Master quite some time ago however it seems it was faulty from the box, a chat with Graham resulted with me stripping the cylinder to find the line valve had been set in crooked and not functioning, with that fixed i was able to get peddle however the rear wheel cylinders (and everything else) are in a state, again thanks to Graham i was able to find everything i need bar the cylinders themselves, and upon inspection, they are beyond re-kitting.

The Coupe has served a greater purpose again, as my brother has undergone shoulder reconstructive surgery he is unable to drive Manual for a while, and being that both his Volvos are, off goes the 406. She is still leaking oil from the cam boxes, however with everything else going on I have decided to let it be and offer it cheap to somebody else who may want to tinker.

I recently picked up another 505 Wagon, this one is a manual 88, with everything I'm putting in the turbo one i figured it couldn't hurt to have a spare car, this one is a little rougher then the Turbo, but has been meticulously and regularly serviced all of its 30 years and 470,000 k's, she's registered as well so am using it to get around for now, drives very well but it seems to have the common clutch pedal wear and struggles to disengage, I'll be investigating that over the next week, though there are plenty of suggestions online as to where to look. Oh yeah, and the aircon works*[http://www]

5bab4d23586022e9d00f2732392b0508.jpg
58e9be20d60a342690e9e545a329feca.jpg
2c59bab3407eafff44baf497120d996c.jpg
ca5b4ceaeb98222c7997743f58455103.jpg
6d533f886bab97ae84600bba9011751c.jpg
df051efad4e2714f595590d71a14c36a.jpg
14d09908695bc9b78a2c7a5b0df07c09.jpg
b092adab6956f12249f3c00a2766f851.jpg

Some things are a happening!

First up the 16valve 205 has been picked up by Bluey to be finished up as she deserves and is due, with little time I was starting to get down over the lack of progress and I had hit a wall with it. Absolutely stoked and knowing that it's in the most capable of hands, was great to put a face to a name too.

The White 205 is all but ready to compete in the HRA SCC, one big trip out to Falls Creek last weekend on some brilliant roads and Graham W's 71BP re run this weekend will finalize its worth.

Bill Hamilton has assembled the Turbo 505 bottom end and awaits the camshaft
dff70217789895e6e5667ea3186cba48.jpg
a00c764d18637f0ace265ca1d521b5c1.jpg
715687fb39d0e135035640d87712354a.jpg
cde80be51b7992093806f72706d647a0.jpg

White 205 is of course the reshelled GW, Cam85, Langers ,Moosey? Si.

Hi Cal
Richard Hear, just wondering if you have some interior parts for sale for the 205?
Hey Richard, I have plenty of bit surplus to requirements, shoot me a pm with anything your after

Car preformed like a trooper, one navigational error resulted in a fairly mean bash through a river bed (reading the wrong stage) but handled everything we could throw at it, this weekend will be a good service, bolt check and attempt to sort the electrics as there are severe gremlins.

Also some hole plugging to keep out the dust.....
4f7a3a63670c5b95c14d20b143286966.jpg
6846e2246ad447415d6e78c47338d525.jpg

it seems to have the common clutch pedal wear and struggles to disengage, I'll be investigating that over the next week, though there are plenty of suggestions online as to where to look.

Hi Codman,
Here is my two cents worth : when you take out the clutch pedal you will probably see that the hole the push rod goes through is now oblong, so you will need to weld it up and drill another hole.

Before you do this, you will need to scribe two lines which intersect at the exact point where the middle of the old hole was, so that you can drill the new hole through the ground-off weld.

The thing is....even a slight difference in where the hole is will affect the operation of the clutch. When I did it, I drilled slightly to one side and it actually improved the pedal throw, but at the same time, it seemed a longer travel....it started to disengage higher. So I'd recommend exactly where it would have been.

Of course you will already know (but I'll mention it anyway :)) that weld (being an alloy) is much stronger than the existing metal, so that it will be harder to drill through than many people expect. And that in order to prevent the drill bit drifting to one side when you are starting off, it is best to centre-punch the base metal first.

I'll put some more words to follow but for now a few pictures....
53da30023b7d83152160fbb9927d9c9e.jpg
d2a3d09660da91ad1eafc635a728e811.jpg
452557d400be538ab98bde35c9d8a99a.jpg
048db9b72b55ae9aeba9005f9061071b.jpg
837b8e2074d3fa4845aace12a7e46a8d.jpg
2bb9aee165e4c30c29ac3402ba41ebcc.jpg
d02c41291fe6101dead5ddc5bbb1842a.jpg
a643ccb3d8a05278e29991ef70627cd2.jpg
a5539e9307f4d6b63aaef1a16f42b60b.jpg

So for the last month and a bit, working on cars has given way somewhat to allow me to enjoy the fruits.

The reincarnated SI 205 took my brother and I through the George Woods, we had an absolute blast, learnt a lot about preparation and handling in very tricky conditions, being the last car to go through, in the wet on very crappy road tyres. Unfortunately Sean continued to get quite sick while navigating, and i came over a left hand crest into clay that slid us from the road, 3km from the finish of the final stage! No harm done to car or occupants, just a damaged ego I guess!
Take it how you will but one thing that I desperately needed was decent reverse lights so i've mounted a couple of LED units in the original position, the difference is incredible!

Soon after finishing my White car, Api picked up a MI16 and has been doing the SCC also, he did fantastic with another friend of mine in the passenger seat.

The manual wagon took me on a road-trip up to Bathurst for our annual Skateboard race down the mountain, she held on like a trooper and made the round trip Via Sydney to visit Huw.
Its rego has now lapsed, and is now being sacrificed to keep as many other 505's going as it can, if anyone's after parts, give me a hoy.

Another buddy of mine has been lured into a pug, I found this Black SI some time ago and amazingly, managed not to buy it for my self, however given the opportunity to buy it for someone else drove round with my trailer and drove away with it for $550, Its now on the road for a grand total of <$800, Harry will be popping up on AF any time now and I'll let him detail what the go is with it.

PCCV hosted an awesome Khanacross event a few weeks back and the little white SI once again battled on like a trooper, we had four drivers giving it their worst, Api, Harry, my Father Bill and I, the car was very competitive, putting in some great results, however it seems my Old my man has lent me his sense of direction and both of us stuffed up as many courses as we nailed! Harrys first event and fresh to stick shifts and FWD saw him consistent if not blindingly fast he still managed a couple of great times.
Api sent the old girl the best of us, 2nd in class and 7th O/A with 60 drivers to battle and some incredible machinery out, even more impressive is our almost complete loss of brake in the last few tests, as the rear shoes desintergrated and the master cyl seals failed.

Also im excited about my new workshop LED...

Clearly missing are the two proper cars, Bill has been documenting the turbo wagon build, with much more knowledge, insight and depth then I could offer and so I will wait for that, however I have picked up a couple of things including a set of 15" Superlights to suit and a big brake kit for the front, heres hoping the wheels will have clearance enough....ekk

Huw has been slogging at the 16V 205 and is near finished, I'm sure no-one expects any less of him but it truly is incredible, again I will wait till its across the line to fill you in, hopefully with some input from Huw.

Cheers
Cal