C5X7 gearbox lock-up

Biker

Fellow Frogger
With my motor running, I attached jumper leads to a cold morning low battery non-starter.
The non-starter fired up straight away.
With my motor still running I disconnected the leads.
Hoped in my car but it would not release the gear changer lever, and remained in Park.
Turning the Ignition on and off made no difference.. MESSAGE: Gearbox inoperative.
Presuming the 'jump start' caused the issue..
I removed the positive lead from the battery.. replaced after some 10 minutes..
Fully back to normal.. heh
Experienced that just missed bullet feeling..
Is the only issue ever had with this 2010 X7 352K..
Any insights ?

Some manuals suggest you put an electric load, like lights or screen heater on in the flat battery car before disconnecting leads, to avoid a voltage spike caused by the alternator.

Hi Biker :)
I have a set of jump start leads made out of welding cables that I made 30 years ago. But when i bought my C5 and realised the consequences of spikes and surges I bought a spike protector that fitted between the two cables and had screws to make contact with the wires inside. Never had a problem and I have used them often. I happily use them on my newer Captur too.
All good quality jump leads now come with these style spike protectors built in to them. Possibly you should get some new jump leads or find a unit to fit on your current leads to prevent these problems. Also you should be very careful when the second car starts that you let the two engines come back to idle for a minute before removing the first connection, as this will bring the alternators down to a lower output and reduce the surges and potential arcing.
Jaahn

The Landcruiser 200 diesel has an Aisin 6 speed auto. It has a button to push if gearbox gets stuck in Park. Have never used it, but perhaps Toyota envisioned circumstances such as Biker's.