• Tapatalk and Mobile iOS/ Android APPs no longer supported on aussiefrogs.com. Please delete on your device. Use the web interface instead.

C5 X7 noise - is it a rear hub bearing?

UFO

Citroën Tragic
Old C5 is making a noise that I think may be a rear hub bearing. Deb mostly drives it and a couple of weeks ago she mentioned it and we went for a drive around town and I could hear it but not define where it may be.

Today I had need to go to Kiama and this entailed use of our local test track - Kiama bends. Both directions I could hear a noise from the rear of the car but only on the way home was I able to concentrate enough to determine when it changed.

It seems to be coming from the right rear, BUT, on the way home in a left hand bend at 80ish km/h where the right rear wheel was loaded up the sound went away. As I straightened the steering into the next straight the sound resumed. So it has me confused as my experience is that loading a worn bearing makes the noise worse.

Now, it is IS a rear hub bearing, has anyone else replaced one and what was the rough cost and how hard was the job?

pugwash

1000+ Posts
jack the rear up one side at a time ,rotate the wheel listen for noises ,wobble wheel from side to side and up and down to look for play ,look between the ground and tyre while rotating the wheel to check de lamination in tyre ,ps i was convinced my sons car had a wheel bearing problem ,it turned out to be the tyres .pugs

jaahn

1000+ Posts
jack the rear up one side at a time ,rotate the wheel listen for noises ,wobble wheel from side to side and up and down to look for play ,look between the ground and tyre while rotating the wheel to check de lamination in tyre ,ps i was convinced my sons car had a wheel bearing problem ,it turned out to be the tyres .pugs
Hi :)
Yes my thoughts too. I would jack up and look at the tire tread carefully as you spin it. Usually obvious if any problems. If not then check the bearing as above but sometimes not so easy with no load if the bearing just has a chip and is not actually failing.
The next check is to swap the wheel with a front one and "see"(hear) what that does to the noise.;)
jaahn

Dapco Auto France