C5 X7 Canberra wheel swap? - you get bigger diameter, wider wheels!

We all have different needs. I have never had any use for my C5 centre console storage, or door pockets, or cup holder. The boot size exceeds my usual loads too.

An RH drive glovebox without electrics there would have been useful. Mr Citroen just can't get that one.

I can't understand the US craze, now here, for takeaway coffee drunk on the move.

We all have different needs. I have never had any use for my C5 centre console storage, or door pockets, or cup holder. The boot size exceeds my usual loads too.

An RH drive glovebox without electrics there would have been useful. Mr Citroen just can't get that one.

I can't understand the US craze, now here, for takeaway coffee drunk on the move.
In long distance drives I always use the cupholder for a bottle of drink. Its absence is therefore quite noticeable in the C5.

Time you got new glasses Julian, or simply keep your stupid opinions to yourself.
It is people like you that have stuffed up a quality product in this country.
The Citroën C5 (wagon) is the most underrated motor vehicle in this country, yes, it is my opinion. Ours has covered nearly 300K kms and has full filled all of our requirements that include 17, YES 17 dozen cartons of wine (plus luggage for 2 for a 4 night stay) from the Barossa. On an other occasion, 2, yes two (2) 300 mm diameter steel tubes x 2000mm long. In addition to numerous loading of 20 kgm concrete bags that had the tail on the ground and store staff telling me that I've stuffed up my Citroën and to see their google eyes when I started it up and it levelled itself was a sight to see.
Tell me what other vehicle, SUV, wagon, 4WD or whatever, not being a "truck" could have fulfilled my needs but the C5.
You may think that the space in a C5 is bad but I (and pretty sure many others) know that it is pretty good.
John Albanis
Thank you - but I don't think we'll be able to do it in the available time.

Re the space in the C5 X7 - yes, I also think it's pretty bad. I am not sure why it is so tight - the wheelbase?

But in fact, all the packaging of the C5 X7 looks bad to my eyes - poor door pockets, poor centre console room, poor rear room, even poor boot room... so that's more a deficiency of the general design approach. Very few car manufacturers get it right in all areas! (The loan car Ford Mondeo I have at the moment just craps all over the C5 in design efficiency. Pity it has a PowerShit transmission...)

Time you got new glasses Julian, or simply keep your stupid opinions to yourself.
The Citroën C5 (wagon) is the most underrated motor vehicle in this country, yes, it is my opinion. Ours has covered nearly 300K kms and has full filled all of our requirements that include 17, YES 17 dozen cartons of wine (plus luggage for 2 for a 4 night stay) from the Barossa. On an other occasion, 2, yes two (2) 300 mm diameter steel tubes x 2000mm long. In addition to numerous loading of 20 kgm concrete bags that had the tail on the ground and store staff telling me that I've stuffed up my Citroën and to see their google eyes when I started it up and it levelled itself was a sight to see.
Tell me what other vehicle, SUV, wagon, 4WD or whatever, not being a "truck" could have fulfilled my needs but the C5.
You may think that the space in a C5 is bad but I (and pretty sure many others) know that it is pretty good.
John Albanis
Unable to edit, "the equivalent of 17 dozen bottles of wine".
There were a number of magnums amongst that lot.

You might not be able to edit but you are able (but presumably not willing) to apologise for gratuitous rudeness. AF is usually a place for mutually tolerant exchanges of views & exploration of differences of judgement & I, for one, would like to have it stay that way.

John Albanis

Having both a 2002 estate and a 2012 Exclusive tourer, I would say that the 2002 has a surprisingly larger amount of space. The storage nooks in the cabin are much smaller in an X7 Exclusive compared to a 2002. The 2012 is still hugely useful in it's size, and that is one of my prerequisites (as musician amongst other things).

However, I think Julian has demonstrated that he particularly likes the C5X7, as he purchased a sedan, and then quickly after, a tourer. The comments about cargo space he made are directed at the sedan.

What destroyed Citroen in this country was a terrible importer and limp marketing for decades, not Citroen owners providing considered feedback on the product.

Every vehicle is a compromise, and I would say that the C5X7 tourer scores exceptionally on many attributes. If only it came with a clutch for the V6!!

John Albanis

In terms of carrying capacity, a Ford Mondeo?

When I buy a car I don't suddenly lose sight of its weaknesses - and the C5 is quite poor in its interior packaging. Having the dealer loan car Mondeo allows back-to-back comparisons with the C5 - clearly something you don't bother doing.

However, I think Julian has demonstrated that he particularly likes the C5X7, as he purchased a sedan, and then quickly after, a tourer. The comments about cargo space he made are directed at the sedan.

No, my comments are directed at the C5's overall packaging. Not only does it have smaller interior space than some competitors, but it also uses that space more badly. For example - rear seat legroom, door pockets F&R, centre console design. All of those apply to the wagon too.

As I have said, none of those things have bothered me. I was raised with door and console storage free cars and don't need them now.

What is an occasional nuisance is the inability to get large things into the sedan via the boot or via the rear doors with the seats down. I have carried an eleven feet long piece of furniture and a full sized mechanics' chest of drawers in a Subaru sedan from the 90s. Forget that in the larger C5.

The same goes for a decent load of firewood. It has to be cut to get it in. I can get more into a DS3, as well as quite large objects.

I owned 2 C5 X7s and I am with Julian on this. In fact, the French generally don't seem to understand what the term practical means today when it comes to vehicle interiors (yes, someone will chime in with an exception). I don't know why they even bothered with a glovebox in my 308, for example, also in which the 1 cupholder isn't much better than a C5.
Despite these criticisms (and others I have for the C5) I love them, and am considering when the time is right, to get another. But it doesn't mean that they are a perfect car.
Jajea, I don't understand your response. It was entirely out of proportion to the comments made by Julian. I feel a thread removal coming...

Should be able to see where I am going now...

DSC_5424.JPG

When looking at the wheel tyre combination on the C5 X7 I considered dropping down to 17" wheels to use 50 or 55 section tyres for a better low speed ride. However, the insurance company said the car must be fitted with one of the wheel sizes listed on the placard. The 3.0 HDi has only 1 size listed.
I'm guessing that the 2.0 HDi and 1.6t petrol cars have a few listed. Does any one know what is listed for which engine type?

If changing wheels, check with your insurance company before doing anything.

The 235/50-R18 Michelin Primacy 4 give an excellent ride and are ok by the insurance company.
We did much the same on the wife's DS5 with again very good results - much improved low speed ride on a car that is well known for its harsh low speed ride.
We've now had 5 different tyre sets on the C5's over time. I'll update my boring C5 X7 Tyre thread one day soon for those interested in round black rubber things.

XL tyres:- both the C5 and DS5 have the P4's in XL, not at all like having them at 45 psi. Ride beautifully. Michelin seem to have got the XL tyres riding as well as the non-XL versions now. Times and technology move on.

The X7 is an older platform these days, it may not be the most up to date packaging but we've no complaints about the interior size... but proper cup holders would be nice, recognising that may not be a priority for everyone.

When looking at the wheel tyre combination on the C5 X7 I considered dropping down to 17" wheels to use 50 or 55 section tyres for a better low speed ride. However, the insurance company said the car must be fitted with one of the wheel sizes listed on the placard. The 3.0 HDi has only 1 size listed.
I'm guessing that the 2.0 HDi and 1.6t petrol cars have a few listed. Does any one know what is listed for which engine type?

If changing wheels, check with your insurance company before doing anything.

The 235/50-R18 Michelin Primacy 4 give an excellent ride and are ok by the insurance company.
We did much the same on the wife's DS5 with again very good results - much improved low speed ride on a car that is well known for its harsh low speed ride.
We've now had 5 different tyre sets on the C5's over time. I'll update my boring C5 X7 Tyre thread one day soon for those interested in round black rubber things.

XL tyres:- both the C5 and DS5 have the P4's in XL, not at all like having them at 45 psi. Ride beautifully. Michelin seem to have got the XL tyres riding as well as the non-XL versions now. Times and technology move on.

The X7 is an older platform these days, it may not be the most up to date packaging but we've no complaints about the interior size... but proper cup holders would be nice, recognising that may not be a priority for everyone.

Good points. Just one tyre size is listed on the placard for my 2013 2.0 HDi Exclusive Tourer - 245/45 R18 100W.

Re packaging - I am comparing the C5 with its contemporaries.

Should be able to see where I am going now...

View attachment 139677
Oh wow, what a beautiful car.
Not sure why, but somehow the addition of these two spotlights amplify its Citroen identity - maybe because they frame the chevrons?.
It may be also the colour and shadows which give it a beautiful rounded front and bonnet .
Gotta get a couple of those myself!

Oh wow, what a beautiful car.
Not sure why, but somehow the addition of these two spotlights amplify its Citroen identity - maybe because they frame the chevrons?.
It may be also the colour and shadows which give it a beautiful rounded front and bonnet .
Gotta get a couple of those myself!
Thank you - not a comment expected! I've now ordered a glass-mount CB radio antenna and then when the radio is installed, my long-distance cruiser will be well on its way. Now just need to have some maintenance done, repair the broken driver's door armrest / handle, get new body-mount door seals...

Congratulations. Its a nice looking example.
The Tourers look splendid in white.

Interesting that the 2.0 HDi only lists the one size also. I'm guessing its an Exclusive.
Perhaps its the Comfort trims that have other wheel sizes. Does anyone know?

Perhaps to celebrate and expand on this lovely looking example, another thread could be started retaining this thread for the discussion of wheel sizes.