C5 x7 Auto Shifter stuck in P

dcc236

Fellow Frogger
I read some time ago that some of you guys have worked out there is a relay that needs to be changed behind the glovebox in a 2010 c5 x7 when the car is running and won't shift out of P. I ignored this issue for some time (after reading you needed to be a contortionist to get up there) and just turned off the car whilst in N.

I am loaning my car to a friend later this week and don't want him having this problem. So this morning I got under the glovebox and found THREE relay plugs (nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be, I had them all out within 3 mins). One looked like a std relay but green, the other two were in the one relay holder with two black mini-relays. I have attached a pic of each of the relays. Which one when replaced will solve my shifting issue? Or is there another I have missed?

PS. I couldn't find the original post on this subject.

Attachments

• 2020-10-26 09.20.20.jpg
    2020-10-26 09.20.20.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 2020-10-26 09.19.02.jpg
    2020-10-26 09.19.02.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I have this job lined up for the next service on mine as apparently I have been informed that the car also needs a new pollen filter to get more airflow through the aircon for the coming summer.

Maybe I should also try to refit the cooling duct for the glovebox that fell out last time I changed the pollen filter. I think that is a legacy issue from when a glovebox lid got replaced while the car was under warranty.

I think my sons new 4 post hoist could be very useful for tackling these jobs. Do you think so?

Cheers, Ken

I think my sons new 4 post hoist could be very useful for tackling these jobs. Do you think so?

Cheers, Ken
Not unless you plan to cut a hole through your carpet and then the sheet metal beneath it, so you can poke your head and arms through.

Access was easy enough, pushing seat back an then having a towel to kneel on outside the car.

I got mine from Bursons for $17. Narva brand cross referenced with the Cit part number.

It is so nice to be able to put the car in P and know it'll come out immediately on start up.

It's a cheap standard auto relay. Go to anyone who sells these.

Yes only a few dollars at repco . That's where I had got mine.

Common cause of this fault is faulty brake light switch. Has two contacts internal for light circuit and others for shift lock and ecu

I have found the relay. It is in back bottom of the box that holds the interior fus box. Does anyone know how I release the relay socket bracket off the white box so I can pull the old relay out and put the new relay in and click it back into place? It is the black relay at the top of the picture.

Cheers, Ken
Park Release Relay.jpg

Probably similar to the socket for the green relay ...
1685162042593.png

I have found the relay. It is in back bottom of the box that holds the interior fus box. Does anyone know how I release the relay socket bracket off the white box so I can pull the old relay out and put the new relay in and click it back into place? It is the black relay at the top of the picture.

Cheers, KenView attachment 222026
I can't remember Ken, I don't think on mine there were two relays attached together. I'm looking for my original post, as I think I also had posted a picture.

I tried a few more times to get the relay socket pair base loose, but in the end I just broke one of the channels on the white box to get it off. The box has a couple of hooks on the top to hold each of the relays in so you can't push it out from underneath either. I could not identify what was actually stopping the base from sliding on the channels on the white box.

I fitted a new relay and the Park release solenoid became much more responsive and reliable. I then zip tied the relay base back onto the white box so that the under tray support could slide in under it onto its ledge. So I now we can start using the Park position in normal operation again after it having been unreliable for the last 5 years or more.

This was all brought to a head because the electric parking brake failed bringing up lots of screen errors and lights on the dash and it was very difficult to get it to release again. I then turned off the Auto Application facility in the Settings until I had fitted a new plastic spacer to the cable at the rear caliper so we were having to rely on the gearbox Park function to immobilise the car when parked.

Cheers, Ken

I tried a few more times to get the relay socket pair base loose, but in the end I just broke one of the channels on the white box to get it off. The box has a couple of hooks on the top to hold each of the relays in so you can't push it out from underneath either. I could not identify what was actually stopping the base from sliding on the channels on the white box.

I fitted a new relay and the Park release solenoid became much more responsive and reliable. I then zip tied the relay base back onto the white box so that the under tray support could slide in under it onto its ledge. So I now we can start using the Park position in normal operation again after it having been unreliable for the last 5 years or more.

This was all brought to a head because the electric parking brake failed bringing up lots of screen errors and lights on the dash and it was very difficult to get it to release again. I then turned off the Auto Application facility in the Settings until I had fitted a new plastic spacer to the cable at the rear caliper so we were having to rely on the gearbox Park function to immobilise the car when parked.

Cheers, Ken
Hi Ken.
I'm having issues with my electric parking brake system too. You and I interacted before Xmas on the issue, but I cannot log into my old account for some reason (I was FiveSoFar). You suggested that I might need to remove and open my electronic braking system to rectify. Have you done that with your system, or was it a simple fix replacing your plastic spacers? I'd like some words of advice from anyone who might have "opened" their braking system before I go gallomping in with my usual ignorant enthusiasm. Can anyone suggest a youtube video to watch, even if it is in a foreign language?
Cheers!
Jez

Hi Ken.
I'm having issues with my electric parking brake system too. You and I interacted before Xmas on the issue, but I cannot log into my old account for some reason (I was FiveSoFar). You suggested that I might need to remove and open my electronic braking system to rectify. Have you done that with your system, or was it a simple fix replacing your plastic spacers? I'd like some words of advice from anyone who might have "opened" their braking system before I go gallomping in with my usual ignorant enthusiasm. Can anyone suggest a youtube video to watch, even if it is in a foreign language?
Cheers!
Jez
i had to replace the complete module in the rear to fix mine.

i had to replace the complete module in the rear to fix mine.
Apparently PSA say "forbidden" or something like that (it's in another thread) with regard to opening up the module, but when cars are well past the warranty period, well owners can take the law into their own hands, right?
When you say "i had to replace the complete module", did you do the work of module replacement yourself, or did you take the car to a service centre where they performed the replacement?
I'm planning to do the work myself (so far anyway).
Cheers. Jez

I opened mine up, it was a complete mess. The lug on the cable that connects to the left caliper snapped, it caused havoc with the internals of the mechanical controller. I just replaced the module with a new one from ebay. The only issue I have is I need to turn the ignition key on, then off & on again to let the module sync with the BSi. I have been living with that for a couple of years, so no big deal.