C5 X7 2013 2l HDi particle emission filter additive

HDi

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Hi AF brains trust

The C5 presented a ‘Particle emission filter additive too low’ warning on Good Friday. Am trying to find out the right fluid to get my local mechanic to refill with. The handbook is spectacularly unhelpful and I can’t find anything on the AF threads, so can anyone help please?

Thanks

You will need your VIN number but EAI in Sydney or Melbourne could probably supply.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken - do you (or anyone) know if there is a publicly accessible Citroen website or database where you can enter your VIN and find out such tech specs etc?

What’s your vin

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

I will list some info below the late c5 runs a specific fluid but in saying that a lot of my customers have insisted on the jlm stuff probably due to price and I’ve seen no bad affects.
Also if your sat Nav isn’t upto date I can get you the 2018 Australian map (the latest) just pm me.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

IMG_1556055300.547473.jpg
IMG_1556055314.433590.jpg
IMG_1556055329.216236.jpg

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

The Citroen service website is at Service Box

It runs in English as well as French, and is intended for mechanics.

Hi all - looks like I may not get the fluid refill for a week or two, depending on delivery and workshop bookings. I’ve used the C5 very little since the warning light appeared, but wondering if there are any problems likely to arise by driving it? They would be largely country kms - at present it’s still using the same tank of fuel as when the warning appeared, if that is relevant.

Grateful for any advice

Thanks HDi

You probably have 1/4 of a litre left so business as usual don’t forget it only injects what 3.0 L\ 150 =20ml per full tank so you should be good unless you decide to do a Dakar rally type run in the next week.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Advice to me from Greg at Con Cars when our C5 brought up the warning was "you've got at least 5,000km in it yet - no panic".

Hello again AF Citroen brains - I’m hoping someone might be able to provide some advice on the latest instalment of the C5 particulate fluid saga!

Having got a competent local mechanic to refill the C5 particulate fluid reservoir with the recommended Citroen fluid, the low fluid fault light continued to show, accompanied by an ‘engine fault - service required’ light. Without local access to a Lexia diagnostic box, we had to deliver the C5 400km to Perth and the only remaining Citroen dealer in WA, for some diagnostic help and fault light resets.

To to cut a long (and expensive) story short, the dealer advised they ‘thought’ the problem was due to a failure in the pump in the particulate fluid reservoir, so even though the reservoir was full, the fluid was not being delivered into the fuel system. Hence the fault alarms were still appearing. They also thought the engine fault light was possibly due to the particulate filter being clogged in the absence of particulate fluid. Their solution in the first instance was to install a new fluid reservoir for about $2,100.

While this might appear logical, I’m keen to hear if anyone has experienced similar faults and whether there may be other, potentially less expensive solutions. While the technicalities of this are a bit beyond me, I wasn’t altogether convinced with the dealer’s explanation, but I’m happy to be persuaded otherwise by those with better knowledge. It would really help if anyone could put me in contact with a competent, Citroen-friendly, Lexia-literate mechanic in Perth or the WA south west who doesn’t charge outrageous hourly rates or over inflate parts prices. But maybe that’s just a little a fantasy ��.

The car is a 2013 C5 X7 2.0l HDi with about 170,000 km on the clock

Cheers and thanks

Neil

Neil,

At any point did the stealer in Perth attach a computer to the car to clear the "fault" that the tank had run dry. As stated previously, regardless of filling the tank the counter still needs resetting.

Hi Craig - unfortunately I was at a bit of a disadvantage as I was working in Canberra while my splendid wife delivered the car to the dealer in Perth, so my interaction was limited to a phone call after the diagnosis. They apparently ran a diagnostic check on a Lexia, and the report on the invoice included:
”Carried out diagnostics and found permanent fault codes for additive level below critical. Checked level and found almost full. Checked connections and fuses - all OK. Checked live at pump and found present and no actuator. Internal pump failure - recommend replace additive pump.”

I assume they tried clearing the fault but it kept recurring, however I wasn't able to read the detail of the report until I got back to WA a couple of weeks later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Neil

Did your mechanic re set the addictive level counter in the ecu because if he hasn’t that’s what’s causing the issue. The pump will turn off at this stage. I’m surprised that the dealer wouldn’t know to try that first , if both hadn’t done that yes the “stealer” ( retarded term similar to people who yell at people eating meat at a restaurant slightly unhinged) and your mechanic should be refunding or making good the repair these are not new systems there is no excuse to stuff this up. Any halfwit could google how to replace and reset the system also with a nice video to boot.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Last edited:
Hi,I was in Albany a couple of years ago.The guys at De Jongs seemed to be pretty cluey.Had all of the right equipment as far as I could ascertain.There are certainly many who would seemingly prefer to vacuum your wallet ,rather than your vehicle.??

Could be worth contacting next time.

Did your mechanic re set the addictive level counter in the ecu because if he hasn’t that’s what’s causing the issue. The pump will turn off at this stage. I’m surprised that the dealer wouldn’t know to try that first , if both hadn’t done that yes the “stealer” ( retarded term similar to people who yell at people eating meat at a restaurant slightly unhinged) and your mechanic should be refunding or making good the repair these are not new systems there is no excuse to stuff this up. Any halfwit could google how to replace and reset the system also with a nice video to boot.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Thankyou David - I didn’t realise the pump would turn off until the additive level counter was reset - the dealer certainly should have known that, you’d hope. The local mechanic doesn’t have a Lexia, but a diagnostic tool called GScan 2, and he said he was unable to reset the warning light/alarm.

Thanks pekay for your suggestion about de Jongs in Albany, I’ll give them a call. They seem to have a generally good reputation.

The C5 has started to behave quite sluggishly, so I’m trying to use it as little as possible