C5 wont start

Pierre anthony

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Hi all been a while since my last post back when I had my BX 19GT I now have a 2005 C5 2.2 HDI wagon that won't start, again. I've been through the reset program 5 times, now I have remote activity but no power to the front of the car and it's really frustrating me. Has anybody here had this problem? Atm, I'm starting to work on its replacement my '88 Xj40 if I can't get the wagon going anytime soon.

Hi all been a while since my last post back when I had my BX 19GT I now have a 2005 C5 2.2 HDI wagon that won't start, again. I've been through the reset program 5 times, now I have remote activity but no power to the front of the car and it's really frustrating me. Has anybody here had this problem? Atm, I'm starting to work on its replacement my '88 Xj40 if I can't get the wagon going anytime soon.

Hi Pierre, I would have hoped you had received some helpful advice by now, so I will reply, to get this back up to the top of the list for a bit. I had the same problem with a Pug 307 diesel and I just don't believe in the 'reset' program. It never worked for me. You could try removing the battery completely and putting a known fresh one in. Some cars now have a voltage checker and won't start unless the battery is providing more than 12.5 V. Other than that, I can only suggest getting it towed to a good mechanic. They appear to have 'magic' wands that will make cars behave a gain... :)

All the best, Erik

If its anything like the 2.0 HDI the power to the fuel pump is the most likely cause.
Check for pump sound when ignition turned on, you will hear the pump start for 5 or so seconds under rear right passanger seat. No sound check power at connectors. Then check power at engine bay fuse box. Pink wire on the 2.0 not sure the 2.2 follows.
Clean the contacts from corrosion or heat burn and try the ignition test again.
If diesel is not in the line you need to attempt up to 10 ignition on with pump starting before it will start up.
Let us know how you go..

Hi Pierre, I would have hoped you had received some helpful advice by now, so I will reply, to get this back up to the top of the list for a bit. I had the same problem with a Pug 307 diesel and I just don't believe in the 'reset' program. It never worked for me. You could try removing the battery completely and putting a known fresh one in. Some cars now have a voltage checker and won't start unless the battery is providing more than 12.5 V. Other than that, I can only suggest getting it towed to a good mechanic. They appear to have 'magic' wands that will make cars behave a gain... :)

All the best, Erik
If its anything like the 2.0 HDI the power to the fuel pump is the most likely cause.
Check for pump sound when ignition turned on, you will hear the pump start for 5 or so seconds under rear right passanger seat. No sound check power at connectors. Then check power at engine bay fuse box. Pink wire on the 2.0 not sure the 2.2 follows.
If diesel is not in the line you need to attempt up to 10 ignition on with pump starting before it will start up.
Let us know how you go..

All the best, Erik
Check for pump sound when ignition turned on, you will hear the pump start for 5 or so seconds under rear right passenger seat. No sound check power at connectors. Then check power at the engine bay fuse box. Pink wire on the 2.0 not sure the 2.2 follows.
Let us know how you go..
The wiring is the same on all C5's. I don't have any power in the front of the car central locking has woken up since I tried the reset but no headlights or indicator tell tales in front wipers are parked halfway down the screen.

My mech was trained at Citroen's training facility in Paris, he migrated here about 20yrs ago. While this lockdown is in effect he can't do much work, he's now a mobile mechanic. He told me to try and hold onto the car as there weren't many of this facelift model fitted with the 2.2 HDI.

I had a 2007 C5 V6 petrol and it developed an issue where it intermittently wouldn't start, just dead. Roadside service was always able to get it to kick over with jumpers but my battery was reading as ok. After a number of these events the techs worked out that it was a problem with the starter and it had to be replaced. I don't remember the exact description of the problem but I think it was a burnt section of the coil.

sounds like no connection to Comm2000 unit under the steering wheel. check all the 10a fuse on BSI behind the glove box. car wont start if key does not talk to Com2000 unit.
Get your mate to do a scan as you will be going around in circles not knowing were to start.

The wiring is the same on all C5's. I don't have any power in the front of the car central locking has woken up since I tried the reset but no headlights or indicator tell tales in front wipers are parked halfway down the screen.
Erik, there is no power to the front of the car at all, the instrument panel is lit up like a Christmas tree.

sounds like no connection to Comm2000 unit under the steering wheel. check all the 10a fuse on BSI behind the glove box. car wont start if key does not talk to Com2000 unit.
Get your mate to do a scan as you will be going around in circles not knowing were to start.
And yet I can lock and unlock the with the remote.

may be from off field but is it possible that multiple circuits go back to a common earthing point that is dodgy ,or large power fuses under the bonnet blown or not connecting ,i have a pug 307 ,not the same car but similar pugs

I checked all the fuses behind the glove box, the 5amp at No 13 had blown am going to Autobarn to get 2 more just in case. It's the built-in systems interface

All the best, Erik
Hi Erik, turned out to be the built-in systems interface fuse, being 5 amp I'm guessing this protects the ECU and body computers. Going to auto-barn to get some more fuses today.

Hi Erik, turned out to be the built-in systems interface fuse, being 5 amp I'm guessing this protects the ECU and body computers. Going to auto-barn to get some more fuses today.
Wow, that's great news. Well figured and thanks Aussiefroggers for helping out.

Wow, that's great news. Well figured and thanks Aussiefroggers for helping out.
The fuse is in and the car is awake again now for the pump not stopping. I think I might have to replace the height selector unit in the middle console. The car is at correct height but when I ask for up or down it shows request not granted then the height diagram with ok comes on and the pump is still running. Where do I start now, I really don't want to sell it but I can't afford dealers prices to fix this annoying problem.

The fuse is in and the car is awake again now for the pump not stopping. I think I might have to replace the height selector unit in the middle console. The car is at correct height but when I ask for up or down it shows request not granted then the height diagram with ok comes on and the pump is still running. Where do I start now, I really don't want to sell it but I can't afford dealers prices to fix this annoying problem.
To all you fellow froggers, a big thanks, the no start problem has been rectified, now for the height corrector problem.

may be from off field but is it possible that multiple circuits go back to a common earthing point that is dodgy ,or large power fuses under the bonnet blown or not connecting ,i have a pug 307 ,not the same car but similar pugs
Thanks pugwash it wasn't one of the maxi fuses but one of the 5 amp fuses behind the glove box, I think this protects the ECU.

Start a new post for the height correction.
Is the C5 level when parked on the flat with wheels facing forward? I have no idea what failures can occur as I suspect its not the button but one of the suspension ECUs not playing ball. A scan will tell you a lot more...

Start a new post for the height correction.
Is the C5 level when parked on the flat with wheels facing forward? I have no idea what failures can occur as I suspect its not the button but one of the suspension ECUs not playing ball. A scan will tell you a lot more...
I had another go last Sunday, the suspension started behaving itself, did the usual stand on the towbar test, correcter worked and the adjustment button as well. Came back 2hrs later back to where it was before so I'm thinking that I might start with the rear suspension and work forward. Oh, I forgot to mention that the suspension has been flat for about 18 months.