C5 suspension height issue

T03Y

Fellow Frogger
Hi, yet another issue with my C5 just as I was clawing my way on top of them....

I raised up the suspension to change a wheel and now the rear is stuck up high, won’t go down. The front still responds to the buttons.
Any ideas?

have to say I’m losing patience with this C5. Had it 6 months and am still solving issues. Just sorted the engine management fault but learned it’s due for a timing chain as well as rego. Prob another 2 k investment in a 3-4K car.....

Further....
I researched and found the rear height sensor that connects to the sway bar. With the car on ramps I disconnected the little ball joint arm and moved the switch unit around. The car subsequently lowered, but is now all the way down and won’t go up!
I no longer hear the pump motor trying to do anything at any point 😥.
while I was under there I noticed the rear right side is losing hydraulic fluid, no doubt the reason I had to have it filled recently. And probably why I’m noticing the power steering sound coming back again.
where will it end-?

It probably needs to be taken to a dealer. One that knows these cars well. I highly recommend Continental in Sydney. It seems you are up the coast so that's a long distance, but it would be worth it if you want this fixed properly.

Toby sorry to hear dramas again.
Do you have PP2000 i forget?
So when you open the drivers door no pump sound? Is vehicle on rear ramps only possibly level control will not work if sensor thinks its beyond a certain angle can you reach now to reset it back to where it was with actually crawling underneath it its still on ramps.

I've not had this issue but PP2000 can test all the actuators front and rears separately.

Any centre display errors of suspension fault?

The rear sensor's sometimes need to be cleaned as have been known to fail but cleaning the sensor and connections have usually recovered their operation.

Good luck

Hi :)
Sorry about your worries. Re the rear height sensor not working. I had that problem on mine years ago and removed the wiring connectors and sprayed them with fluid, pushed them on and off and wriggled them and refitted and solved !! I guess you will now have to adjust the position on the roll bar if you moved it. Note it is possible to refit the little link incorrectly if you turned the sensor arm around too far.:mad: Then the sensor is trying to control in reverse !
Just a reminder to BE VERY CAREFUL WORKING UNDER THE CAR ON THE HEIGHT CORRECTORS. Use stands.
good luck Jaahn

Thanks for your responses.
this morning I’ve tried moving the Sensor/switch around again but car is not going up and no sound from pump
I wonder if it needs a fuse or some other reset?
there may have been an initial error on the display but none ongoing. The up/down controls still appear normally on screen. No I don’t own diagnostic tools

Mechanic suggests I do ‘hard reset’ - disconnecting battery for a few hours, to see if I can get pump operating again

Some good news
after searching around for its location I’ve replaced the 40amp maxi fuse. The pump kicked back in and after a bit of up and down the car has found its normal drive height. Phew. I still have an issue with the fluid as my power steering noise has returned.
a note to anyone doing this, my fuse box behind the battery looks a bit different to the set of photos that comes up on several forums, it took me a while to lift mine up to access the fuse. It lifts from the right.

Contrary to what I’ve read I was able to buy some fluid from BLine auto, and topped up that system with about half a litre. Got rid of the power steering noise.

I have noticed the front sitting a little high ( or rear a bit low) can I adjust it somehow?

I’m wary of putting it up and down unnecessarily now 🙄

Attachments

• 979441D2-CC94-490A-A6C3-0DE17E34C65D.jpeg
    979441D2-CC94-490A-A6C3-0DE17E34C65D.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 155
The suspension controller reads the height sensors (7702, 7703). Here is a wiring diagram
diagram-.jpg

7740 is the hydraulic controller at the pump. It communicates with the height selector, BSI and the COM2000, but the only input for actual height are the two sensors.

7740 is the hydraulic controller at the pump. It communicates with the height selector, BSI and the COM2000, but the only input for actual height are the two sensors.
Hi TO3Y :)
Well the position of the sensors can be changed. If say the clamp on the roll bar was loosened a little and the clamp was 'tapped around' a bit the height would be changed a bit. I believe my old C5 had that done before I got it as the owner used to do trips on dirt roads and though it was too low. I was happy with it !! If you put the height up on the control it resets at 80 and goes low again etc ! OK for freeways:cool:. The front under covers get destroyed even in careful driving.
Jaahn
The usual precautions of cause re not being under the car except on stands.

Hi T03Y
only just reading this now,
Have a 2007 C5 2L HDi which has a similar hyd/fuse problem, Talked to an> enthusiast Citroen car repair garage here in NZ (Iain at Mecano Auto -Chch) and

learned-It's a common problem with C5's "caused by, generally, a dodgy hyd pump electric motor with a build up of brush carbon shorting out and blowing that 40amp maxi fuse.
every time you manually 'lift' the car with the pump, It blows the fuse.
solutions- cheapest, Multiple spare 40amp fuses ($8 a fuse- NZ supercheap, Amazon USA= much better price) ,

Iain says as the problem gets worse, You can go up to a 60amp!! maxifuse but once there and blowing, It's a $2300 ish+ labour costs replacement hyd pump...

There's a youtube video of the 'Fix' job>> Here>

currently mine blows 40amp fuses on manual lift but not yet 50amp ones so run 40's in normal driving and replace with 50amps while doing maintenance. Have several 40/50/one 60amp fuses on hand.

Iain says it will only get worse in time...
His view on secondhand pump units is treat them all as dodgy and they're still! $400 to $600 on Ebay.

learning curve with C5's

BTW-love my C5!

Last edited:
Interesting thanks guys.
actually mine seems to be behaving normally now, I did adjust the rear sensor on the sway bar.