C5 Sulking?

JAJEA

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Is it possible that our Series 1 C5 is actually sulking? Where can I kick it in order to get it to snap out of it? Sorry, I don't believe in kindness to disobedient vehicles (in this case).
You may recall it started off with auto transmission fault that righted itself with faultless changes and at corect speeds.
Now it is "engine mmobilizer fault". This started about 2 weeks ago and always started on 2nd /3rd attempt but not today. Cranking beautifully but no fuel (assuming that what the imobilizer controls).
With just under 300kms on the clock and 18 years old, we have decided to upgrade and a bit regretful that Citroen decided to discontinue the C5, so Peugeot 508 GTi it is.
It really sounds/appears it is sulking and refuses to go.
Battery is fine even it has done some cranking today but will attempt once more with a donor car before tow truck is called.
It appears that the "system" refuses to accept the non FOB key that we have been using for years (upon the FOB key packing up).
Any advice greatfully welcomed.
Is it possible to bypass the immobilizer and supply 12V direct to pump via relay?
John

After waiting for the Dash to shut down, try disconnecting the battery for a few hours or overnight and then reconnect. Sounds like the BSI has got itself all confused.

Cheers, Ken

Nah....kick it harder that's what we do 😂

I don't have a non remote key but I had this issue for about a week and turned out to be the battery.

But wait does the immobiliser error actually appear on the centre screen or is this a fuel pump power issue which is very common?

If vehicle has been sitting around unloved due to new friends in the paddock it could just need fuel to the rail.

Turn ignition on so you can hear the pump run. Do this 20 times and should be ready to run again.

Italian tune around the block and he/she will behave again.

Good luck

After waiting for the Dash to shut down, try disconnecting the battery for a few hours or overnight and then reconnect. Sounds like the BSI has got itself all confused.

Cheers, Ken
Where do I kick it Ken (or hammer it, I do have a mash hammer if necessary). Until today, all we had to do initialy was switch off and try again to disconnect battery.
Today, it was really sulking as we believe our Peugeot is in the country and it knows, so it's going to give us a hard time while it can.
John

Nah....kick it harder that's what we do 😂

I don't have a non remote key but I had this issue for about a week and turned out to be the battery.

But wait does the immobiliser error actually appear on the centre screen or is this a fuel pump power issue which is very common?

If vehicle has been sitting around unloved due to new friends in the paddock it could just need fuel to the rail.

Turn ignition on so you can hear the pump run. Do this 20 times and should be ready to run again.

Italian tune around the block and he/she will behave again.

Good luck
Just tell me where to kick it David!
It is not unloved and actually quite sad to part with it. We initiaĺy bought it in error in a twisted way as we were after a C4 but none were available. We were very very happy with it especially with the Hydractive Suspension. You have no idea how many motorist I pissed off in the C5 going past them at 100kph around the clover leaf entry ramp onto the Melbourne Shitty Link from the Westgate Freeway. Once out of the loop they floored their fancy cars to prove something that I proved before. I just giggled to my self as they went past at 100 miles an hour once the loop opened up.
The C5 error appears in the centre screen and I feel that it is trying to protect me from somebody trying to steal my C5.
Frankly, who wants to steal a C5, but an Owner wanting to take his wife home after visiting the doctor, I had to walk home in the rain (it rained in Melbourne today) to pick the Audi Quattro Manual to bring her home. After an overnight sta
I went through a process of locking and unlocking the C5 from the passenger side as I connected OBD2 diagnostic tool (it failed to register?) to extent that the key failed to unlock the C5, I shat myself.
It came good when I went to the drivers door.
We'll see how it goes tomorrow and hope rain eases.

There is another aspect to Citroen behaviour that I have found over time. If you have a bit of a fleet and one breaks down, then the rest seem to sense that and they all breakdown as well. You have to get right on to fixing them quickly or else you can end up with none on the road. I guess they all decide to go out in solidarity. Just as well we have a FIAT Campervan and at least it has another 2 years of warranty to go. We have almost been reduced to taking the Campervan around town a few times over the last 3 years.

Cheers, Ken

Also try the re sync trick. Try key to 1st position and leave for 1 minute. Remove key, reinsert key with door closed turn to 1st position again and open the drivers door. Does the warning bell go off?

If yes key is synced. Now try starting.

Also on 1st position make sure you can hear the fuel pump operate.

Now start the the C5....good luck

There is another aspect to Citroen behaviour that I have found over time. If you have a bit of a fleet and one breaks down, then the rest seem to sense that and they all breakdown as well. You have to get right on to fixing them quickly or else you can end up with none on the road. I guess they all decide to go out in solidarity. Just as well we have a FIAT Campervan and at least it has another 2 years of warranty to go. We have almost been reduced to taking the Campervan around town a few times over the last 3 years.

Cheers, Ken

Yep, I don't know how but they do "communicate". Good advice to promptly fix the first otherwise it will tell the others.
I'm sure our C5 is sulking.
Wife refuses to drive it and yesterday I tried to prove a point by taking her to the doctors in it and I was wrong - it can't be trusted. I had to walk home in the rain for the Audi.

This morning, with the battery disconnected over night at the local shopping centre I tried David's resync advice without success.
However, with the Audi connected to it, (just as well my jumper leads are pretty long [car nose to kerb] and made from welding cable) it burst into life - that was the kick it needed.

It's possible that the battery was/is a bit down notwithstanding it is not long since charged because of little use due pandemic.

Thanks David and Ken for your assistance.
John

Good outcome, get the battery test

Cheers
Dimi
A bit baffled still.
It is definitely sulking!
Battery Tester (Aldi but served us well every time I've used):
Voltage: 12.72 V
CCA: 660, Battery is noted 650.
Internal Resistance: 4.9 ohms,
Health: 100%
Charge: 98%

Battery Monitor (permanent device attached to battery - operated via an app which is to safeguard one from battery failure). This gave no indication of imminnent failure.
Voltage : 12.7 V, status 100%
Cranking Voltage: 13.23 V status OK.
So, I will put it down to this C5 sulking because it's being replaced by a Peugeot.
Nevertheless, its going on the trickle charger till it goes.

And sorry dimistyle I called you David.
John

Last edited:
Early series 1 (2001-2) the immobiliser will need to be reset each time the battery is out or flat for any length of time (3-days or more) This is done by putting a good battery in it, locking it with the key in the driver's door, unlocking it with the key (so it knows you have a door key) then put the key in the ignition but don't turn it, press either the lock or unlock button on the key and hold it down while turning the key. It should then start. The handbrake needs to be on and a foot on the brake pedal also. If auto it must be in 'park'. The instructions are in the Haynes manual. and I think also the owner's handbook.

Early series 1 (2001-2) the immobiliser will need to be reset each time the battery is out or flat for any length of time (3-days or more) This is done by putting a good battery in it, locking it with the key in the driver's door, unlocking it with the key (so it knows you have a door key) then put the key in the ignition but don't turn it, press either the lock or unlock button on the key and hold it down while turning the key. It should then start. The handbrake needs to be on and a foot on the brake pedal also. If auto it must be in 'park'. The instructions are in the Haynes manual. and I think also the owner's handbook.
Thanks Bruce, upon jump starting it and trickle charging, the Sulking French Resistance has been behaving itself.
I've taken it out a number of times - no problems.
I'd tell how close the Peugeot 508 GTi is but I don't want it sulking again.