C5 RHH loose injector

turboslob

Tadpole
Hi, as per the title, it appears I have a loose injector on the C5.
I’m trying to find out more information about the fastener/s to tighten it. It’s my understanding that it’s ’TTT’ (torque to turn), though don’t know if it’s ‘TTY’ (torque to yield).

Has anyone got a manual or any evidence either way? Thanks

This isn’t court so you won’t have evidence but it’s more than likely your copper washer has failed and needs replacing and the surfaces cleaned once again not saying where you are limits help or offers of tools and parts.

E3DDD026-AA32-4F89-BF1F-9C7D816E5742.jpeg

This isn’t court so you won’t have evidence but it’s more than likely your copper washer has failed and needs replacing and the surfaces cleaned once again not saying where you are limits help or offers of tools and parts.
Thanks. I thought I had put my location in my profile (near the capital/Canberra).

When I said evidence, I did mean a manual or something similar. I did some reading and people say it's torque to tighten and then that seemed to get linked to torqued to yield (which, as you know, are two entirely different things).

Thing is, if it's just a normal bolt which is torque to tighten, I'm comfortable retightening. However, if it's torque to yield, I'm less comfortable. This is what I was hoping to confirm.

You can reuse these but as I said your problem will be the washer and as you can see above in the evidence they use a yolk to hold the injector. You cannot just retighten these or any of these type of diesel injectors.

So, this has been bugging me, so I'm going to buy (from the pic above) the bolt (14) and the washer (6).

Then, I'll have a crack at removing the injector, cleaning up where the washer will sit as best I can (hoping the washer comes 'up' with the injector) and then installing the washer and injector before using the new bolt to hold the injector in place.

Any idea where I can get the torque specs for the new bolt from?

Thanks.

Hmm I might think that as one seal has failed then pull them all out and replace them. Is this a good idea David ?
When you clean the mess under the cover you can see if any others are starting to leak. But now is the time to do the whole job properly.
The seals are most likely available at any diesel repair shop ? and tension specs.
Jaahn

Just to keep this updated, I cleaned around the injector bolt and removed it thinking I’d replace the washer. But, time wasn’t on my side (had to drive a few hundred k the next day) so I just reinserted the bolt and booked it in a shop.

For the record, the bolt does look like a torque to yield bolt, and shouldn’t be reused. But, having not being able to find one in the country I was forced to reuse and ‘torque to what I reckoned’.

Took it to the shop (after a 250k drive at 100km/h +) showed the guy the issue and it was no longer ‘leaking’ from the injector! Putting a hand in there you no-longer felt the puffing, and I also couldn’t hear the accompanying sound.

So, for now, I’ll check it periodically and hope for the best. Also found a YouTube video with the same issue (and fix) in case anyone else has the same issue.

Last edited: