C5 model range question

T03Y

Fellow Frogger
Hi, been a while.
A couple of years since I sold my ‘02 C5. I loved it, but had the AL4 box troubles.
I’m looking at C5’s again now. Did the second (facelift) range all have the AL4?
Does the 3rd range only come in sedan and wagon? In short, I want a hatch but want a better gearbox!

Most second nose C5s were diesels in OZ ( several engine sizes and the single turbo diesel is the least troublesome ) and have the Aisin Warner 6 speed automatic. Problematical as the valve bodies wear their teflon sleeves. Official neglect ( the sealed for life argument ) over time can cause slurred changes 2 to 3 and abrupt 4 to 3 changes in our case.
Long term solution is to replace the valve body and/or change transmission oil regularly.
Most would recommend the X7 ( third model ) as a better sorted solution but these too have their problems as they age. No hatch.
No doubt others will add more.

I bought an 05 V6 Exclusive hatchback for my daughter. It has the 6 speed box. I think the 2.2 diesels had the 6 speed too - the AL4 is only rated up to a certain amount of torque. The facelift model is a big improvement on the original. I haven't driven an X7. My daughter is really happy with the car.

The third series (X7) only came in sedan (boot) and wagon. I traded my XM for our first C5 and miss having the cavernous capacity of a hatch.

The AM6 gearbox is excellent. As Fritz suggested above - regular fluid changes (many posts about that already exist here) keep them in good form. The only gearbox problem we've had was a failed temperature sensor at about 220,000km. Quickly analysed and repaired for about $400 by Continental Cars. The 'box now has over 260,000km on it.

Thanks guys. Actually one of our other cars is a Peugeot 307 2006. Perhaps this is the Aislin 6 speed box? Has high miles and goes fine.

Hey guys, I just put a deposit on a 2006 C5. So 2nd series. Looks clean and neat. 160000km
So can anyone confirm it has the 6 speed?
I couldn’t get out of suburbia on the test drive. There’s digits on the dash for manual shifting 1-4. 😮

As per the brochure link I posted in June, it suggests if it's a petrol 2.0 then it's a 4 speed auto. All other variants (V6 petrol and HDi) are 6 speed.

Doesn't sound promising. The AM6 vehicles have a plasma display to tell you which forward gear is engaged and it goes from 1 to 6. I suspect you have an AL4 in the car you have put a deposit on.

Ken

Hey guys, I just put a deposit on a 2006 C5. So 2nd series. Looks clean and neat. 160000km
So can anyone confirm it has the 6 speed?
I couldn’t get out of suburbia on the test drive. There’s digits on the dash for manual shifting 1-4. 😮

Toby you have another AL4, change the fluid when you get it and you'll be good to ho for another 60k.
We bought an 08 308 and it also had an AL4, no problems with it and I'll be changing fluid shortly.

I bought an 05 V6 Exclusive hatchback for my daughter. It has the 6 speed box. I think the 2.2 diesels had the 6 speed too - the AL4 is only rated up to a certain amount of torque. The facelift model is a big improvement on the original. I haven't driven an X7. My daughter is really happy with the car.
I have a facelift 05 2.2 Diesel wagon, couldn't fault the gearbox. My mechanic recommended fluid change every second service to give the Teflon seals a longer life. So far the only problem has been with the hydraulic pump.

To end the confusion, read through some earlier threads starting here at post #15 especially: C5 info wanted
Looking at the engine code in the VIN is the best way to know what you are dealing with when it comes to the confusing C5 range.

Hi, been a while.
A couple of years since I sold my ‘02 C5. I loved it, but had the AL4 box troubles.
I’m looking at C5’s again now. Did the second (facelift) range all have the AL4?
Does the 3rd range only come in sedan and wagon? In short, I want a hatch but want a better gearbox!

I have a good friend in Queensland who is selling his 2010 C5 Comfort.
It is like new inside and out. leather seats etc. Knowing him as my ex next door neighbour, I know it has been serviced on time by the dealer.
He now has three Citroens so one has to go. Contact me on 0419881092 for more details , his phone number etc. He wants $8500.00 for it.
Regards, Nick.

Last edited:
My old 2008 C5 (a mk ii) had the 2L RHR diesel engine and 6 sp auto Aisin gearbox. It was a lovely practical car (I just didn't like the old man look). Love my x7 with the RHH engine and the same 6sp auto but it is a sedan.

My old 2008 C5 (a mk ii) had the 2L RHR diesel engine and 6 sp auto Aisin gearbox. It was a lovely practical car (I just didn't like the old man look). Love my x7 with the RHH engine and the same 6sp auto but it is a sedan.

Same here! Exactly same cars and same story.