C5 model range question

Hmmm well I am just shopping in the 4K region. I didn’t think I’d ever go near an AL4 again. I could still back out. Some positive messages here though, and the car ticks most boxes. What say you guys-
Bail, or Buy!?

Hmmm well I am just shopping in the 4K region. I didn’t think I’d ever go near an AL4 again. I could still back out. Some positive messages here though, and the car ticks most boxes. What say you guys-
Bail, or Buy!?
Toby,
To be on the safe side another longer run would be required, drive it at cold like an Italian to see how the AL4 acts. This will also check if it goes into limp when oil not warm. When warm drive like a grandad up a steep hill leave in auto to check the torque converter. There's probably better ways of testing but seems to work for me.

This would only make you comfortable that AL4 behavior is ok. 160km is pretty low and if serviced would be a good purchase. If you are not willing to own another AL4, think of an excuss and walk away....

What ever you do will be the right decision.😊

My old 2008 C5 (a mk ii) had the 2L RHR diesel engine and 6 sp auto Aisin gearbox. It was a lovely practical car (I just didn't like the old man look). Love my x7 with the RHH engine and the same 6sp auto but it is a sedan.
Mine is a 2005 facelift with the 2.2 diesel and I think mine has the 6-speed Aisin transmission.

Well tranny seems ok though a bit of a step back from the 6 Spd I had in the Peugeot. Nice clean car overall. Remote central locking works and then doesn’t, though I’ve changed the battery. Drivers door lock barrel turns right around and doesn’t work. Have these been covered elsewhere?

If your budget is 4k, i'd buy an x7 even though there is no hatch. If not the x7 get a late model c5 II with the AM6. While I have finally got the AL4 in our 307 to run nicely, it is nowhere near as nice as the AM6.

Too late! But thanks. Yes it’s a step backwards but so far so good.
QUOTE="dcc236, post: 1682261, member: 15109"]
If your budget is 4k, i'd buy an x7 even though there is no hatch. If not the x7 get a late model c5 II with the AM6. While I have finally got the AL4 in our 307 to run nicely, it is nowhere near as nice as the AM6.
[/QUOTE]

Well tranny seems ok though a bit of a step back from the 6 Spd I had in the Peugeot. Nice clean car overall. Remote central locking works and then doesn’t, though I’ve changed the battery. Drivers door lock barrel turns right around and doesn’t work. Have these been covered elsewhere?

Just came across your query re "lock barrel" rotating. And if you have not found out by whatever means to date - they are ment to rotate unless correct key is inserted.
Security feature so that lock cannot be screw driver opened. Also, unless the correct key is inserted all the way home into the barrel, it too will rotate.
Regards
John

Just came across your query re "lock barrel" rotating. And if you have not found out by whatever means to date - they are ment to rotate unless correct key is inserted.
Security feature so that lock cannot be screw driver opened. Also, unless the correct key is inserted all the way home into the barrel, it too will rotate.
Regards
John
Thanks John, yes I’ve since found that with a little extra pressure it functions normally.

Hey, just to folllow up my own post, we've established that Citroen introduced the 6 speed trans sometime during the second series (facelifted) C5. I just had my car and tranny serviced (at Milano Lismore) and Graeme informed me that it was an updated AL4, as it had an external oil cooler. He also commented that the 2.2 diesel motor was unusual (2L is standard I guess).

So far so good, I miss the FOB button that lowered the windows and I don't know why the remote doesn't work on exiting the car though it does a few mins later. Otherwise its all good. Cheers

Yes I miss the windows down button and lock the doors. Our 308 winds all the windows up when you lock by remote but use the key and the windows stay as you left them😄