C5 3.0V6?

b707

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

The time is approaching to say goodbuy to the ultra reliable cheap to run 2005 Honda Accord Euro family workhorse, with over 300 000km of trouble free motoring. My head says to get a newer 2010 ish Lexus IS 250/350. But my heart says to go for a C5. We are soon to be empty nesters. Life is short, I can have an ultra reliable and cheap to run Japanese appliance or something thats a bit more quirky and "special"

I used to owm a BX 16 Valve, terible build quality but a hoot when it decided to run. Also have for myself a Volvo C30 T5, thats so far a fun comfy fastish cruiser. Its been ultra reliable over last 2 years, fingers crossed. Thats gives me a bit of confidence in getting another Euro car. So do I take the plunge on a C5? What are the main issues?

One I am considering on Carsales. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...-exclusive-hdi-auto-my10/SSE-AD-7456091/?Cr=4

I am not familiar with the 6cyl, having a 2010 Comfort 4cyl with 132k km on the clock.

Yours seems like a real nice car, at a reasonable price – compared to what else is out there at the moment. You can pay the same money for one with another 60 000 km if you want.

The LCAs alone are worth nearly a grand, and with the other things that have already had money spent on them, that represents a real saving down the track.

I do not think that you will have much of an issue with body or underbody, but you are still looking at a technical and complex engine with nearly 200 000km on it. But with it coming from Coffs Harbour, they may be country km.

You may have some non-specific electrical wobblies, but others would know more about those, as I have not really had any.

FWIW, as a YOLO splash out, that model would be a treat to myself.

The build quality of the last series of C5s (X7) is excellent, though check the interior for scratched plastic bits, eg on the door handles. Check the leather. These things are rolling lounge rooms, fabulously comfortable. The bodies are tough. The Aisin transmission should be very smooth - check.

The 6 is more expensive to service than the 4s (made by PSA) and has more to go wrong. Is the extra oomph essential? The kms mean to check when the exhaust catalyst was refilled, and the timing belt done. These jobs cost a bit.

X7 electrics are good for most owners. There are lots of little features to check though, like preset seating adjustments.

We were reminded in another thread today to make sure you get the wheel nut security keyed tool. Then swap the !@#s for plain bolts.

A C5 X7 3.0 HDi is a great choice. Reliable, affordable to service, fantastic to drive, very comfortable, beautiful, well equipped (enough tech to make them feel contemporary) and safe. Don't be scared to buy any modern Frenchie, their reliability is as good as any euro car.
The 3.0 V6 Hdi has beyond excellent performance - everywhere. It has plenty of power and enormous torque available through the entire rev range making it so easy to drive. It’s also much smoother and quieter than the 4 cyl versions. The Japanese made Aisin autobox is good and but does need occasional oil changes.
There are only a few quibbles; as mentioned the soft plastic on some of the cabin trim can scratch easily, peel or get sticky. The 3.0 Hdi is very tyre sensitive. Best get one with 18 inch wheels. The 19's spoil the low speed ride and replacement tyres in that size are limited and at a premium price. Expect front tyres to be a regular consumable, <30kkm is a guide to the life of front tyres. There are several (lengthy) threads on C5 tyres, worth a look if replacing them regularly is a concern. They also require a good AGM battery that needs to be in top condition to avoid electrical gremlins.
The front seats are loved by almost everyone. However, I grumble as they are not quite my shape. Now mostly fixed with the addition of sheepy covers. Don't expect a (useable) cup holder, adequate cabin storage or recent updates for the nav system (if fitted). But these are very minor, trivial grumbles that in no way should discourage you. Just minuscule blemishes in an overall excellent picture.
My local wagon has recently developed a few paint bubbles around the 6th light windows. A good inspection of the paintwork is advised. That said, corrosion or paint issues are rare on these cars.
As with buying any second hand car, do the leg work, check and check again. Buy the best one you can. Any 10 year old car is likely to require something when you first buy it, don't be put off by an initial glitch. Broadly, these cars are owned by owners who tend to love and look after them.

As stated in a previous thread.....

"... lovely to drive, safe, reliable, no more complex than any other modern car to maintain. Sufficient modern tech, reasonable parts prices. Barnstorming V6 engines, smooth auto, great build quality, good materials, astonishing cruising comfort. Excellent value for money. Nothing else comes close, imho.
Simply ... Magnifique"

CC1701 Has covered everything I was going to say about the 3.0 V6 C5. An amazing car. I owned one for a few years and highway cruising was at very least astonishing. The engine as you may know was designed by Ford, is fitted to a range of different car makes.

CC1701 Has covered everything I was going to say about the 3.0 V6 C5. An amazing car. I owned one for a few years and highway cruising was at very least astonishing. The engine as you may know was designed by Ford, is fitted to a range of different car makes.
I believe the V6 twin turbo diesel in our 2017 F Pace is based on the same.

personally I would upspec to one of the 2014 cars for sale so much more and same grunt .
almost like buying a new car .
we purchased our 2010 with 30k milage and now it is 150k and no drama except the standard failings
centre display kaput
door hinge fail
electric window cable fail
magnet for shopping trollies
paint dying
eats brakes
rubber bits degrading

but it still goes like a train

I believe the V6 twin turbo diesel in our 2017 F Pace is based on the same.
yep, same 3.0 TT in the Jag, Rangie and others, but in the c5 its limited to 240hp 450Nm to protect the (6 speed) gearbox (rated to 450Nm). In the Jag, its 300ish hp and >500 Nm, iirc
there is a BlueSpark box for the C5 3.0HDi that gives them the same power, but might reduce the life of the trans.
240/450 is more than adequate in the C5.
Had ours out in the hills in the awful melb/vic weather, absolutely safe, secure and confident ... and very comfortable too :)

I had a 6 cylinder C5 X7 ( 2.7 not the later 3.0 )
Excellent car . Loved it but got the feeling that the front suspension took a hammering from the extra weight c/w 4 cylinder .
My advice would be find a good X7 2.2 . More powerful / fuel efficient than the 6 cyl but lighter . Shouldn’t really tell you because I’m looking for one too !

I always thought the 3.0 was the most powerful C5?
I have the 3.0 and think it's a great car, fast comfortable, really well built.
I've owned BMW, Audi etc in the past.
It is hard on tires, I live on a dirt road and the 19 inch rims crash a bit on potholes and that probably contributes to the tire wear.
I haven't had any other problems.
I think you've got to drive the various models to see what you like/dislike.

The auto box is designed to keep you in the flat high torque curve in the upper two gears for both engines as much as possible. To see that extra power you will be above legal speeds.

The auto box is designed to keep you in the flat high torque curve in the upper two gears for both engines as much as possible. To see that extra power you will be above legal speeds.
Perhaps in older cars. Currently, they shift to the highest gear as quickly as possible for emissions and economy. At 100 km/h in 6th, or top, gear most I've driven are below the revs where the boost curve flatens out.
Absolutely, high hp numbers are only valuable at speeds way beyond what we can legally and practically drive here.

Last edited: