C5 2011 Front panel removal

Allen

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I want to get at the wiring to the aftermarket front parking sensors and need to remove the black plastic panel above the radiator. The panel has a few quick release screws but is attached to the coloured panel containing the lower front chevron (if you get my drift). I can't see how to detach one from the other, although it must be possible. I Tried to attach a photo from my iPhone but kept getting a message that the upload file was too large (even when compressed). So Apple defeated me again, (as usual).

Anyway, grateful for any advice.

The whole front bumper comes off in one piece. This includes the black plastic bit where the bonnet latch attaches.

Most of us that have an early X7 have to take the bumper off to replace our QI driving light bulbs or the radiator cooling fan or aircon evaporator.

Cheers, Ken

The top and bottom fixings are obvious. That includes the black plastic. In the two wheel arches are a pair of clips that are easiest opened with a piece of stout wire with a short right hand bend. The left side turns anticlockwise and the right clockwise. The whole thing then slides forward. It's easier with a helper.
guard fixings.jpg

If you have thin fingers with extra joints you can do QIs from the engine side. I eventually found a simple way near the battery using a set of bent "pliers" (actually an old surgeon's tool) and a mirror.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, but The solutions offered don't quite match my situation. The black plastic panel lifts free at the rear edge after releasing 2 studs (where you lift up a bit in the middle and then pull the studs out), and unscrewing 3 plastic screws along the rear edge with an Allen key. But the panel is still attached to the lower chevron assembly above the radiator inlet, and I can't see how to free it. I suspect there may be some fancy clips there but if there are, they are hard to see. I don't need, and nor do I want to, remove the whole front bumper; only the top black panel which will allow me to reach in and replace the sensors and run their new cables to the control box inside the vehicle. I'd attacha photo if I knew how to reduce the file size.

Items 4 in the image on the side of the black panel are body clips/pins removed with a plastic body tool. Three each side.

Thanks for all the help, but The solutions offered don't quite match my situation. The black plastic panel lifts free at the rear edge after releasing 2 studs (where you lift up a bit in the middle and then pull the studs out), and unscrewing 3 plastic screws along the rear edge with an Allen key. But the panel is still attached to the lower chevron assembly above the radiator inlet, and I can't see how to free it. I suspect there may be some fancy clips there but if there are, they are hard to see. I don't need, and nor do I want to, remove the whole front bumper; only the top black panel which will allow me to reach in and replace the sensors and run their new cables to the control box inside the vehicle. I'd attacha photo if I knew how to reduce the file size.
Allen,
I think you'll find the black panel can't be separated without removing the front bumper cover as others have advised. . .

X7 front bumper.jpg

Cheers
Chris

I think I'll wait until the front sensor need replacing. I've replaced the others. Just can't get the last one out because the cable is caught somewhere and I can't pull it out to get at the connector which simply unscrews from the main front parking sensor system harness. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.