C4 Bent Valves

Cookiemonster

Tadpole
Hi, I managed to snapped the belt on our '07 C4 1.6 16v. It was due/wasn't due but I should have bloody done it. Anyway, have replaced belts and tensioners and it must have bent valves - will do a compression test this weekend on it. I'm struggling to find the parts I need (I assume valves, head gasket and water pump) here in NZ and DAPCOAUTO don't have the valves. Can anyone guide me as to who to try either in NZ or AUS - I've had one quote in NZ but the valves are coming from Europe.

Was it timed correctly when the belt when back on? Special tools are needed to lock the cam and crank.
If its incorrectly timed, there'll be no compression.

If the valves are indeed bent, it mighr easier to just put a good 2nd hand head on, or a whole motor if the pistons and cylinder barrels are scored.

Simple timing pins are used on the 1.6 and drill bits or bolts work fine.
cylinder head kits or gasket kits with valves are cheap. Have done many that have missed the cam belt change and broke causing multiple valves To bend.
unfortunately it’s only the late 90s Toyota Corolla and Camry motors that are lucky enough to be free spinning meaning if the belt was to break, the valves would never collide with pistons. Just a simple re time and belt change and your right as rain again.

if anyone ever needs any specialty tools to borrow sing out and I’ll help out when needed.

EAI.NET.AU or European auto imports are worth a try otherwise send me your vin and I’ll provide u with options for parts that u will need.

tim

Was it timed correctly when the belt when back on? Special tools are needed to lock the cam and crank.
If its incorrectly timed, there'll be no compression.

If the valves are indeed bent, it mighr easier to just put a good 2nd hand head on, or a whole motor if the pistons and cylinder barrels are scored.
Hi, yup - had it all locked in and the timing marks on the new belt lined up perfectly. Can't get just a second hand head here in NZ it seems. Pistons look good and barrels are fine.

Simple timing pins are used on the 1.6 and drill bits or bolts work fine.
cylinder head kits or gasket kits with valves are cheap. Have done many that have missed the cam belt change and broke causing multiple valves To bend.
unfortunately it’s only the late 90s Toyota Corolla and Camry motors that are lucky enough to be free spinning meaning if the belt was to break, the valves would never collide with pistons. Just a simple re time and belt change and your right as rain again.

if anyone ever needs any specialty tools to borrow sing out and I’ll help out when needed.
Yes - the joy of interference engines...

TU5JP4 motor ? Strange thing is I was commenting to someone last week about how it was the easiest cam belt change I've ever done - much easier than the RHR 2.0 and the space you can slide a piece of paper into and nothing else. It's a shame you're in NZ - plenty of those motors around here. Don't forget they were in Pugs as well.

Cheers

Justin

TU5JP4 motor ? Strange thing is I was commenting to someone last week about how it was the easiest cam belt change I've ever done - much easier than the RHR 2.0 and the space you can slide a piece of paper into and nothing else. It's a shame you're in NZ - plenty of those motors around here. Don't forget they were in Pugs as well.

Cheers

Justin
Hi, certainly wasn't too hard, worst part was locking the crankshaft. Try doing a PT Cruiser! Parts are so expensive here for French stuff, I got the cambelt kit for $200 NZ including freight from AUS yet the auxiliary belt alone was bloody $90 locally!