C3 Pluriel Stuck accelerator

ladybird

Tadpole
I have had a Pluriel for just over a year now. In the first few months the accelerator pedal stuck down a few times while on a straight road, which was obviously a worry but fortunately not dangerous. Took it into service and they said it was the computer, sometimes they get glitches and need adjusting - which they did. No problems since for about 8 months.

Then yesterday it happened again, whilst reversing in a car park - and despite full pressure on brakes and parking brake (nice smell of burning rubber!) it hit the car next to the space I was manoeuvring towards.

I'm obviously not happy both with what has happened nor particularly with the car. At the very least I expect Citroen to cover the damage on the other car, but ideally would like to give the car back as it could be so much worse another time in moving trafffic or with people in the way.

Any advice based on your experience would be much appreciated, thanks!

Do you have "non standard" floor mats in your Pluriel? It may sound like a stupid question, but I know that another AF member with a C5 had problems related to the throttle pedal because of a thick rubber mat he had on the floor and interference with the sensor/s related to the pedal.

The dealer advice was to remove the mat. He did, and the problem ceased.

Bad news about the collision, but check all your facts first before going to ATECO.

I think you will have zero chance ATECO sharing costs in relation to the other car.
Shame about the pedal and whats going on though. Talk to the dealer ASAP. :cry:

If you get stuck with ATECO, I recommend going to Slater and Gordon (the ambulance chasers). They built their business on unintended acceleration cases.

Also talk to your insurance company. They may make a claim against ATECO if you can demonstrate that it's a design fault with the car and you've tried (unsuccessfully) to have them fix the problem in the past.

Andrew

Also talk to your insurance company. They may make a claim against ATECO if you can demonstrate that it's a design fault with the car and you've tried (unsuccessfully) to have them fix the problem in the past.

We shouldnt need to be talking about taking out our importer. They should just do what is right its an absolute joke.

Thanks for all your responses guys...it was indeed the floor mats after all, which is both kind of reassuring and also a bit frustrating as I can't hold it against them! They were just the standard mats though. The service guy told me he recommends removing them and just putting rubber ones in as he's seen ths happen a lot (happened to the guy working there yesterday when he went to move it)

Irritating though to know it has happened through the computer fault in the past and could again, sort of sitting on a time bomb...

It's great to hear the problem has been resolved. I would try to re-create this just to re-assure myself that it is the problem. Park somewhere with a lot of space infront and try kicking the mat around under the accellerator. If it happens again you know the problem and how to avoid it :banana: :banana:

Gee's, bloody 'electrical' accellerators, gimme a proper mechanical cable anyday :)

seeya,
Shane L.

ladybird said:
Thanks for all your responses guys...it was indeed the floor mats after all, which is both kind of reassuring and also a bit frustrating as I can't hold it against them! They were just the standard mats though. The service guy told me he recommends removing them and just putting rubber ones in as he's seen ths happen a lot (happened to the guy working there yesterday when he went to move it)

Irritating though to know it has happened through the computer fault in the past and could again, sort of sitting on a time bomb...
I still wonder, esp in light of this recommendation about rubber mats, if you have grounds for some compensation from whoever imported and marketed the floor mats. If they were sold to you as being suitable and custom made for your Pluriel and the mat is not worn significantly, it really should not have happened. Both out cars have little mounting clips/bumps to stop the mats doing this - does the Pluriel?

Might be an uphill battle; I would be inclined to claim, get it fixed and perhaps press for your excess back from ATECO.

DoubleChevron said:
... Park somewhere with a lot of space infront and try kicking the mat around under the accellerator. If it happens again you know the problem and how to avoid it...
Perhaps I'm dumb, but rather that trying to recreate it with a lot of space in front of the car for running away, wouldn't it be safer to try to recreate it with the engine switched off?:confused:

Trixie said:
I still wonder, esp in light of this recommendation about rubber mats, if you have grounds for some compensation from whoever imported and marketed the floor mats. If they were sold to you as being suitable and custom made for your Pluriel and the mat is not worn significantly, it really should not have happened. Both out cars have little mounting clips/bumps to stop the mats doing this - does the Pluriel?

HI John

the mat had clips but they must have come unstuck. Feels like a lot of hassle to chase them at the moment but will see how I feel after its all sorted!

thanks...