C2 vs Fiesta (Wheels "Gold Stars")

It does seem strange, all the same, that the local distributor still hasn't been able (or willing, more's the point) to supply Wheels with something.

Understandably, when the model was new they were reticent about giving them a car to test with, but it's certainly been around long enough for them to have at least one press car, surely.

Surely they can't be scared of the Sensodrive thing still (and I'm talking about Wheels' perceived opinion of it, not Justin's ;) ).

Its no wonder the press don't get Pluriels and C2's. Wheels have lambasted the Sensodrive before and are clearly anti it. And I must say that after reading their comments I would be very circumspect about buying a car so equipped. But people seem to enjoy them. I suppose it takes getting used to - maybe something you can't do in a 1-2 day test drive.

Shame, because the C2 looks fantastic, great practical interior - bags of character.

People, People! Why do we fight so! We're all on the same (PSA) side here! (True we have to speak a little more slowly to the Peugeot guys so they can understand - but they were on the right track!)

Sergetov said:
BlackC2, I recommend you actually read the criteria for each section. Because without the full specifications sheets in front of me, I'd not be quick to assume the Fiesta and C2 would score similarly in safety. Also, unless you are the same as the standard insurance application they used, I'd not assume the insurance premium would be the same either.

The resale component makes up 20% of the score. Fiesta is 56.2%, and C2 is predictaed as 59%. However, Wheels did not even consider the C2 in the best buys guide since they have never driven it. And on that basis, you would'nt buy it if you could'nt drive it first either, would you? Does'nt mean the C2 is not a better buy, just means Wheels can't recommend it.

Couldn't agree more, so to boost my memory I've picked up the (Fiesta) sales brochure sitting next to me, still fresh from our car hunting expedition, and reminded myself that the Ford would actually score less points according to Wheels criteria in terms of Passive Safety by dint of one less set of Air Bags.

It also showed a further list of features that the Citroen has over and above the Ford, thereby further justifying the admitidly higher (though not by five grand these days) higher price:

EBA - as opposed to EBD which they both have
Full body kit
12% more power (for what it's worth)
Four wheel discs (the Ford has rear drums)
Rear Fog lights
Two-way adjustable steerign column (F: tilt only)

These all add up. The Fiesta was impressive; it just didn't have the special occasion feel of the C2 when we met it first time in the metal - this car was different, it was special. The Ford felt much more like it was one of the tens of thousands of others that came before and after it on the production line. Anyone who buys the the Ford is smart; anyone who buys the Citroen is smart - and cares.:cheers:

Seems part of your brain must be removed when you buy a Citroen, surgically, psychicly, magicly? what is is that breeds such rampant 'hey don't forget, ignore, undermine, disreguard us' desperation?

ed ge

BlackC2,

The fact that the C2 would have performed so well by Wheels criteria only makes it a greater shame that they will not give Wheels (or any other motoring publication) a car to test.

I've never driven a C2, but given what people keep saying about it, if you like senso-drive, there does'nt seem to be too many arguments about it!

Enjoy your new car!

Sergetov said:
BlackC2,

The fact that the C2 would have performed so well by Wheels criteria only makes it a greater shame that they will not give Wheels (or any other motoring publication) a car to test.

I've never driven a C2, but given what people keep saying about it, if you like senso-drive, there does'nt seem to be too many arguments about it!

Enjoy your new car!

Thankyou. :)
You're right again; it is a shame they don't supply it to the Australian media and maybe Citroen aren't doing themselves any favours by not doing so. The senso-drive does have it's flaws which can be rightly lambasted. It's doing the job for me, but I could understand why it could cop criticism. Citroen's local targets are not obviously very high and it would seem one-eyed rampant enthusisasts (like us) are able to spread enough positives to keep the car shifting off showroom floors.

sim0n said:
Hmm....i can't see any other reason why a car company would not supply their cars for external tests and reviews to generate more hype and exposure other than that they themselves, believe its deeply flawed.

Well, it happens. Does nobody any favours, really especially car enthusiasts and potential buyers.

Kia used to refuse to supply cars, until the new Sorrento came out (understandably, they didn't like the Rio being compared against Barinas, Echos and Mazda 2's).
When the Lexus IS200 was released, BMW would only supply 320i's for comparison tests, as opposed to the similarly priced 318i. Must be local PR numbskulls at work...
Wheels printed in one of their issues (a COTY issue I believe) that Citroen wouldn't supply cars for journalists for reasons along the lines of limited supply, high demand and would rather sell what cars they have to customers.

A post on here a while back had an explanation from Ed Rowe from ATECO. Apparently, they kept on getting unfairly sledged, and given a choice between supplying another customer with a new car when only 30 or so are coming this month, or keeping a car aside for the negative and biased reviews, apparently, it's a no brainer.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159984&postcount=38

Personally, I think this is self-defeating. Toyota presumably makes cars available to Wheels and Motor, and they NEVER get any good press. Yet, Toyota still outsell everyone else in many different segments.

I was at the Toyota dealer last night with my parents picking up their new Camry*. This dealer has 16 sales people and sell 300 cars a month. That's 3600 cars a year from one dealership alone. Assuming more product could be made available if Australia needed it, PSA should revisit why Citroen with their superior spec'ed cars are not sales competitive with equivalent models in Australia.

I sat in a brand spanking new Yaris yesterday. It's three shoe sizes bigger than my old Echo, feels really solid - even the modulo board style boot divider (!) is really thick, and has all the mod cons for once with a very tasty price. I bet it will sell like hot cakes ... with or without Wheels. ATECO could/should learn from this.

thanks,
Andrew

* This was a left field car from my point of view. Based upon their needs, I'd steered them towards the Scenic II, Mazda 3 sedan, Focus sedan, the aging Honda Civic. They found the Camry and bought it whilst I wasn't looking. It's far too big for them, but they liked it, and I must admit they got a great deal.