Bx 16v keys from code

ARCHRIVAL

Fellow Frogger
Remote possibility I know but is there anyone or anywhere that can cut keys from code . I was there with centre punch ready to exice the ignition barrel from the bx then i realised that i would need to do the same with doors and fuel flap . I then saw the code on the barrel and thought can anyone cut from code. Aso the replacement barrel is different being simplex rather than Valeo.
I have hd this done on English cars previous but with Citroen and their fractured representation in Australia is there anyone here or overseas that can supply or do i optics up the hammer and punch again .

im sure i have been down this road before with a vw t4 transporter ,my locksmith made me a key to suit my lock then modified a replacement drivers door lock to suit that key ,i bought the car from a wrecker but unfortunately the drivers door lock and key had already been sold .i took the rear door lock and replacement drivers door lock to him and he made everything work off the one key ,car had two sliding doors so 5 locks in total ,im in tweed heads but you must surely have someone in Perth that can do the same

A bit of work to strip down a door to the point where you can remove the lock, but I think pugwash has made a good suggestion. If you can't afford for a locksmith to come to the car (or they just won't come), and you can't remove the ignition lock, then taking another lock that uses the same key to the locksmith should work. What about the boot lock (might be easier to remove than a door lock)?

Sounds like you have lost the key.

See if you can find a locksmith with the Silca program on the PC attached to his automated key cutter. I have used this route to get BX (single plane) and X key style Xantia and Xsara keys cut for cars. If you have a key, you can work out the code by looking at the depth of the cuts on both axes of the X key but you have to keep your wits about you as you are working it out. Post up here if anyone wants more info.

Cheers, Ken

All keys were stolen in a breakin . I have stripped the column out and there is a code on the barrel bx 351 i am wondering whether this code is something that the key can be cut from . I have a new cylinder but it looks slightly different

I have dragged out all my old BX keys and it looks like to me that the standard BX key has 5 cut positions so I don't think this barrel code would be the key code as it would be 5 digits long. Sometimes the key code is written in the owners manual by the dealer. Do you have a photo of the key because you can usually work out the code from a good side on view picture.

I will see if I can find the guide I downloaded from AF on how to read the key codes from an XM key.

Cheers, Ken

Image of exist

Attachments

• C3269B8E-6ED9-4BDD-877A-25C628D241FE.jpeg
    C3269B8E-6ED9-4BDD-877A-25C628D241FE.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 116
If you undo the security screw, you can usually push in those locking tabs, and then the whole lock barrel slides out. Then you can take it to a locksmith and get a new key or two made.

Alternatively, it looks like the door locks support the 5 cut positions on the key even though the key doesn't go in as far as it does on the ignition lock. If you can take a door lock out and take it to a locksmith, they should be able to make a key that works the door lock and the ignition lock as well.

Most of our BXes have had the ignition lock replaced with an X key style lock so we just have two keys for each car, one for doors and boot and the other for ignition.

Cheers, Ken

I have nothing in the way of keys thus the conundrum . If i grind these pins of and take the barrel to a locksmith and see what they can do .
from memory bx‘s do not have a boot key ?

before grinding away at anything, talk with a good local locksmith - not one of the franchise thingies, you're after one of the good old-fashioned locksmiths who can cut and program car keys.

As KenW says, those with Silca can look up the barrel code to determine the key cuts required. Call them, give them the code, and ask if they get a the match. Whilst the databases aren't always complete, your chances are good.

Your keys won't have a transponder chip - it'll be just a key cut to code.

Failing that, yes - after extracting the barrel, that same good locksmith can cut a key from reading the barrel.

the pins shown will not depress without the key so I think the Dremel maybe the way to go then refit with the bolt to keep the cylinder in

i think thats what my guy did ,fitted the key in the barrel ground down the pins so the barrel turned in the lock then re assembled it probably locks on less pins but still locks

PS i baught that van for $700 ,and from memory the whole lock thing ended up costing me nearly $200 ,the second hand lock was over $!00 ,sold the van a while back for $2500 after driving it for 9 years, so i well and truly got my moneys worth ,it was still running fine