BX 16TRS vs 19TRI 122

tlampre

Fellow Frogger
Hi, there is an '86 BX 19TRI 122 advertised on drive.com.au that has caught my eye. My '85 16TRS doesn't have air conditioning like this one does and fuel injection would also be a welcome improvement over a carby. The sunroof would also be nice on warm night drives.

However, I like the ride and economy of my 16TRS and with the money I've spent on it things are running nicely. I also like the colour of mine (burgundy rather than white) :rolleyes: Power is adequate, if lacking occasionally when fully loaded.

How does the 19TRI compare as far as ride and economy are concerned? By rights, the economy should depend on weight and aerodynamics which are unchanged. So long as I can resist the urge to put the boot in and use the extra power of the bigger motor I should get similar fuel consumption.

Comments, anyone?

Regards,
Trevor

There shouldn't be such thing as an 86 Tri 122.
In 86 we had the 16TRS and the 19GT. In 87 we got the Tri, then in 88 we got the tri 122.

The ride in tri 122's is still very nice. They handle a little flatter (and have more grip around corners) due to increased anti roll bar and tyre size.

Economy is good on the 122's also. But check the oil consumption on these engines.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave said:
There shouldn't be such thing as an 86 Tri 122.
:doh::doh::doh:
Just checked again, it's an '88. Shouldn't post before I've had my coffee! :mallet:

Thanks for the correction and info!

As long as it's in good nick a Tri122 is a nice car, lovely revvy engine, and they corner really nicely - do it justice and put decent tyres on it!!

Good luck,

Dave

I was just trying to check the specs of the 19TRI 122 on www.citroenz.com but can only find a mention under the 'variants' section as an Australian only release with no additional detail. The other 19's all have tyres listed as [FONT=verdana,arial]165/70 R14, same as my 16TRS, except for the GTi versions. What size did the 122 have?

[/FONT]

185/60R14 (on 5.5" rims).

The only other variation is the 16V which has 195/60r14 on a 6" rim.

Dave

Thanks for all this. Looking at the specs of other models would I be right in thinking that the TRi-122 is a hybrid with the GTi engine and wheels, the trim of a 19TRS and a 66l fuel tank?

That sounds about right. Do a search on the overseas Bx GTi (not 16v). A tri 122 is basically one of them, minus a little bit of compression and plus a catalytic convertor - so a little less power (and minus the boot spoiler).

Cheers,

Dave

The Cit sport site is a good place to look at the difference between the performance orientated Bx's. Click on Bx, then Gti, the tri is just like the cat (kat in their spelling) equiped Gti.

Dave

Dave said:
That sounds about right. Do a search on the overseas Bx GTi (not 16v). A tri 122 is basically one of them, minus a little bit of compression and plus a catalytic convertor - so a little less power (and minus the boot spoiler).

Cheers,

Dave
Ok, thanks Dave. Glad about the spoiler, it only 'spoils' the looks as far as I'm concerned, but to each his own. :2cents:

I noticed in your sig about the compression ratio you are running with your GT. Another option I've been mulling over is to work my 16 engine a bit, mainly a little bit more compression and some work on the ports. What would you regard as a safe compression ratio to aim at, with improved economy and power for overtaking being the main goals? I'd like to stick with 95 RON petrol.

The Bx 16's already run at a higher compression ratio than the larger engines. Although they are a sweet revving engine, if you are after a bit more power go for a larger 1.9L engine. I wouldn't look at increasing the compression unless you are willing to use 98ron petrol.
Even with a large cam, my GT has great economy due to the compression, but without mappable ignition it needs a certain driving style to avoid detonation (at low to mid revs, it never pings above 3500rpm). The engine is a monster though, a lot more punch than the tri122 and tzi we have in the family.

The injected cars are a lot smoother to drive, quite a pleasure after driving a carburettored beast for a few years.

Dave