Buying a second hand motor

207ccRipper

Tadpole
How do these wreckers know if there motor is compatible with my car, they always ask for the VIN, they seem to have some program or web site which sells them if the VIN’s are compatible

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Letters 6-7-8 of the VIN describe the engine type. That's the main thing. The last group of numbers gives the position in the production if there are minor changes. They also have the same access to the Peugeot service part numbers online we all have.

Is this thread about a motor or an engine? There is a big difference as a friend of mine found out in the early days of his apprenticeship. He removed the engine, but the boss had wanted the motor out and waited till he finished so the lad would learn the difference and never forget it. Wound up being a very mechanic.
Cheers.

How do these wreckers know if there motor is compatible with my car, they always ask for the VIN, they seem to have some program or web site which sells them if the VIN’s are compatible

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

We have a saying that Peugeot never built the same car twice so therefore the VIN is the only way of telling which parts are compatible with your car.
We go onto the Peugeot website and that tells us more about your car than you'll ever know.

Heaven help Kelpiebat's boss if he reads the French manuals- the whole thing there is a moteur.

The words are from Latin via French - movere - to move.; perfect tense motus. Ingenium - talent, ability. Motor came to English with the sense of initiating movement or action, while Engine became a contrivance. A mediaeval engineer built military devices.

The two words have now essentially merged.

Is this thread about a motor or an engine? There is a big difference as a friend of mine found out in the early days of his apprenticeship. He removed the engine, but the boss had wanted the motor out and waited till he finished so the lad would learn the difference and never forget it. Wound up being a very mechanic.
Cheers.

I remember the days when you could buy a replacement or reconditioned motor - described as being either a long motor or a short motor, based on what peripherals it came with essentially. But I'm intrigued - for the purposes of your story, what is the difference between an engine and a motor in this context?

I remember the days when you could buy a replacement or reconditioned motor - described as being either a long motor or a short motor, based on what peripherals it came with essentially. But I'm intrigued - for the purposes of your story, what is the difference between an engine and a motor in this context?

A motor is electrical as in wiper motor, starter motor etc.

Makes sense. But in kelpiebat's example, the boss clearly didn't specify which motor he wanted removed if that's the case. So he brought it on himself to some extent.

Why then did the long and short MOTOR definition become industry standard if it was indeed the ENGINE?

Makes sense. But in kelpiebat's example, the boss clearly didn't specify which motor he wanted removed if that's the case. So he brought it on himself to some extent.

Why then did the long and short MOTOR definition become industry standard if it was indeed the ENGINE?

That I don't know but I use to work with an old mechanic who would tell us off if we called an engine a motor so just to annoy him we'd call starter motors starting engines and wiping engines and he'd get annoyed.

I'm just about to buy a new motor for my boat. It is not a motor boat or even an engine boat , but a sail boat...
Motor or engine, the term stink boat still fits.

Have we all got it wrong, am I actually buying an outboard engine????
Jo

I'm just about to buy a new motor for my boat. It is not a motor boat or even an engine boat , but a sail boat...
Motor or engine, the term stink boat still fits.

Have we all got it wrong, am I actually buying an outboard engine????
Jo

Depends I guess on whether your boat will be enginised or motorised after you install it.

As we all know advertisers use a lot of dictionary licence to sell whatever crap they want to. And by so doing they subvert the correct language. Mr google says that the intermixing of engine and motor occurred when the first internal engines were referred to as motors to identify them as being different from steam engines which were very popular at the time. Since then the terminology has generally adjusted to an engine combusting its own fuel whilst a motor relies upon an external source of power.
I'll rest my case on the non-existence of the term, electric engine. Cheers and happy Peuging.

Actually an engine is a type of motor. (A motor is a source of motive power.)