Bugatti replicas?

Fellow Frogger
i just wanted to know if anyone else had stumbled across the same web site as me? it was a site that sold engineers diagram kits for building a bugatti replica i believe it was for the type 35 or 37, but as usual i cannot for the life of me find it again. :confused:
just sound like a really great way to spend an obscene amount of money when i graduate. its either that or a jag XK140 coupe project, but i like the idea of the frenchie more, it won't get teased by my renaults and the pugs like the jag would. :joker:

3006882 said:
i just wanted to know if anyone else had stumbled across the same web site as me? it was a site that sold engineers diagram kits for building a bugatti replica i believe it was for the type 35 or 37, but as usual i cannot for the life of me find it again. :confused:
just sound like a really great way to spend an obscene amount of money when i graduate. its either that or a jag XK140 coupe project, but i like the idea of the frenchie more, it won't get teased by my renaults and the pugs like the jag would. :joker:

Haven't found that website, but there is a company in Argentina who replicate the Type 35, and it is indistinguishable from the real thing, apart from when it is running. For some reason they have changed the firing order, and it doesn't sound the same as a proper one.

kiwi 03 said:
Haven't found that website, but there is a company in Argentina who replicate the Type 35, and it is indistinguishable from the real thing, apart from when it is running. For some reason they have changed the firing order, and it doesn't sound the same as a proper one.

Yeah - I wonder why too?
As Ray said its probably to 'improve' the crankshaft which was made up from roller & ball bearing big ends & main bearings assembled together. My old Honda S800 engines had the same idea (4 cylinder but) and used to rev their guts out. They were reasonably reliable too.

Are straight 8 cranks inheritantly fragile?
I recall the Mercdes 300SLR straight 8 had a huge harmonic balancer.

I know a lot of them broke cranks... but I didn't know the M-B 300SLR had a huge harmonic balancer... it shouldn't have needed it, the drive was taken from the centre of the crank IIRC.

But then, I have been wrong before...

There are quite a few Bugattis that raced in Australia that finished up with Ford V8s or even Holden sixes because of the fragility of the original engines. The type 39 that won the AGP in 1931 is known as the Day Special with its Edelbrock heads... another one was known as the Mackellar V8.

But it wasn't all crankshafts, some just tossed rods...

don't suppose you have the web site for the argentinean company?
it'll ber worth a look.

and as to why a bugatti? just because i like them, they float my boat, this type of thing is my bag...baby. there are other projects like bikes and buggies though.

The most complex small engine ever?

3006882 said:
don't suppose you have the web site for the argentinean company?
it'll ber worth a look.

and as to why a bugatti? just because i like them, they float my boat, this type of thing is my bag...baby. there are other projects like bikes and buggies though.

I am still looking for the website with the drawings you want; but if you like bikes too - well have a look at this:

The most complex small engine ever? Ettore Bugatti's cyclemotor

There is a drawing of the main gearcase thats described as a Jig-borer's nightmare!

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0393.htm