Brake Pad Light (Renault 19)

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
As this forum knows i have replaced the brake pads and discs on the front of my Renault 19. However I still intermittantly have the 'brake pad' light flashing on/off on the dash. Does anyone have any ides where to check first???

Check the wires from the pads, one or more could be hanging loose and earthing against the suspension intermittently...at least that was usually the problem on my 16TS

Originally posted by danielsydney:
<strong>As this forum knows i have replaced the brake pads and discs on the front of my Renault 19. However I still intermittantly have the 'brake pad' light flashing on/off on the dash. Does anyone have any ides where to check first???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Failing that Daniel it is time to get rid of the mongrel and move on to what the redoubtable Simon would describe as a "more worthy car" such as an R12 :)

QUOTE]Originally posted by BogMaster:
<strong>Check the wires from the pads, one or more could be hanging loose and earthing against the suspension intermittently...at least that was usually the problem on my 16TS

</strong>[/QUOTE]

Can't help with the brake light problem apart from check all the connections etc..

But as for a 12 being more worthy than a 19, supposedly the factory has moved on.

Let's think about new replacements available now in AUS. An RS Clio would likely be too small for a current 19 owner, my thoughts would be say a VW Golf or a Saab 9 superscript 3 (or however they describe it).

Simon

I agree. I had an automatic 12 a couple of years ago and it was a good car, and now i wish i would have kept it and bought the 19. It was a very heavy car and in no way could be done up IMO to make it go as quick as the Renault 19. And the 3 stud wheels would have been a nightmare to change.

Come on Daniel...a 12 auto...I guess a 19 is a step up from that low point.

There is a lot you can do to a 12 to get it to get up and go.

As for the three studs, they maybe a nightmare to have balanced these days but not to change.

On the worthy car bit there just isn't a new Renault available here worth owning - sorry to all those who have forked out the spondulas.

If I did own one I would like to think it would drive as well and be as cheap to run and repair in 23 years time as my current 1977 12. I'd lay money on my being disappointed.

Originally posted by danielsydney:
<strong>I agree. I had an automatic 12 a couple of years ago and it was a good car, and now i wish i would have kept it and bought the 19. It was a very heavy car and in no way could be done up IMO to make it go as quick as the Renault 19. And the 3 stud wheels would have been a nightmare to change.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...and Simon, it's not a question of the factory having moved on...more like descended from the pinnacle into the mire... I reckon with a bit of spit and polish the r12 could make car of the year again.... in Bosnia

Bogmaster, your name goes well with the right front fender of MY R12...

Daniel, the R12 is about 950kg - not very heavy for the era. Would make a nice Q car with an R5 Turbo motor and a suspension rework.

Stuey

Maybe you guys are right. I did say i wished id never sold my old Renault 12. She was a good car. It was just too old for me. In Sydney at the time i had it I was only getting into Renaults too so I didnt know where to go and once I too it to Renauli in the west and the guys there were so rude and told me that I couldnt do what I want to it and also if I changed anything not to bring it back to them. Those guys there can be so rude to people sometimes. With a shrinking economy you would think that they would be after as much business as they can get. Anyway......

So the question is -> what on earth did you want to do to a R12 Auto?

Depending on what you wanted to do, I think I can see why the mechanics weren't too keen on seeing it happen.

One good thing about 3 stud wheels - quicker to change in the rain :)

yes they are quicker to change, and also harder to steel.

Thats if anyone would want to.

Never had any groans over getting the wheels balanced on my Renault's. No problems on those with the centre hole. They just had to dust off the special tool to balance the ones without a centre hole.

As for 12's they really can use the available 45kw in a creative manner.

Simon

Hey Simon,

Most tyre places up here in the early 21st century just don't have that three stud adapter anymore..it can be hard for people who don't know where to go to buy their tyres.

I've seen more than a few R12's where the wheels have been attacked with all manner of power tools to provide a larger central hole for balancing.

Of course anyone with half a brain and a phone book would look for appropriate replacements..if of course they knew enough about Renaults to know that such things existed. :)

Originally posted by Simon:
<strong>Never had any groans over getting the wheels balanced on my Renault's. No problems on those with the centre hole. They just had to dust off the special tool to balance the ones without a centre hole.

As for 12's they really can use the available 45kw in a creative manner.

Simon</strong><hr></blockquote>

;)

Keep asking around, someone will have the adapter. Don't expect to get it done at "Bob Jane" or some other supermarket style establishment :)

Of course, another solution is to source some steel "Gordini" type rims.

R25 wheels cause similar groans from tyre places, but they just wheel out the on car balancer and do it. Seems to work well.