Brake Fluid

PC290268.jpg
A very good inexpensive vacuum bleeder. & as JohnW said sometimes the bleeder threads need sealing. JG.

Another thing:
If one chooses to use Dot 5 after a rebuild or full flush DO NOT pump bleed. Vacuum or pressure bleed, only.
Pump bleeding aerates the silicone fluid & makes for a soft pedal.
Thankyou so much for that tip...is there a special tool used for the vacuum?

That is SO interesting. I've just vacuum bled the R8 and have the best "pedal" I can remember for years. The key hint from me is very heavy silicone grease on the bleed nipple threads so it doesn't suck air past them. Thank you Mr A.
Hi John, what did you use for the vacuum?

Hi John, what did you use for the vacuum?
I bought a proprietary brake bleeding suction kit. It is nice to have a vacuum gauge so you can see what is going on. It has a collection reservoir between the "gun" and the bleed nipple. Ebay or Supercheap, I can't recall which. Not expensive. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow. Mr A's tool looks good too!

I bought a proprietary brake bleeding suction kit. It is nice to have a vacuum gauge so you can see what is going on. It has a collection reservoir between the "gun" and the bleed nipple. Ebay or Supercheap, I can't recall which. Not expensive. I'll try and post a photo tomorrow. Mr A's tool looks good too!
Awsum, thankyou.

So sorry, forgot completely to photograph the self-bleeder. Just found a leaking calliper (overhauled in 2009) and remembered my promise...

You need to use heavy grease on the nipple threads and polish up the nipple itself, so you don't suck air right at the point of bleeding! Address those details, and it does work well.
Self bleeding device 2020.jpg

Have a brand new one available for $30 plus postage from 4226 .
I like my old mechanical fuel pump [shown earlier] & have never used the other.
Pumping is never a good practice, especially on a used system.
One can start with pump bleeding then end up having to overhaul the system because master cylinder seals are leaking after the pumping!
If it's never happened to you, you have been very lucky & smart mechanics don't take that re-do option, when working on customer's vehicles

Leaking rear calliper rebuilt, brakes rebled and the job represents no danger to marriage these days! Pedal not the best, so I'll rebleed at my leisure, early morning not late afternoon.....

Hi folks, just doing a complete overhaul of my Caravelle brakes and just wondering if there are any tips on brake fluid type.
I have always used Dot 5 but thought i would ask just in case.
Thanks everyone

Caravelle....if you're doing the whole show, it's best to flush through all the pipes
and clean all the seals and calipers with methylated spirits...blow dry with
compressed air and flush through the system with a high quality DOT-4 fluid.
Then refill with the DOT-4....DOT-5 is a veritable pain and in most instances not necessary.

DOT-5 is a veritable pain and in most instances not necessary.
That 'veritable pain' has never been observed in my experience of over 30 years of use & recommendation.

DOT 5 has real advantages over any hygroscopic [read all other glycol based brake fluids including DOT 5.1] especially on historic or classic vehicles that are not daily drivers.
DOT 5 is not corrosive & brake systems don't need internal attention [seized wheel cylinders, dragging brake shoes etc.] or to be flushed every couple of years.
There is the proviso that the system is clean of all other fluids & DOT 5 is not recommended with hydrovac or ABS systems as explained earlier.

I used to have veritable pain with hygroscopic brake fluids in cars used less regularly. IMHO it is especially an issue with the rear-engined Renaults with alloy disc callipers - pit corrosion behind the 'o' ring due to moisture absorbed exactly in that area. You do have to be careful to avoid aeration, which I suspect is why some folk believe Dot 5 is compressible.
Sorry to preach but some of us are converted. :)

Thanks Alan,

How DO they do that for the money + profit??? For me, they work well if you seal up the nipple threads. When I think of bleeding debacles in early years when I really didn't know what I was doing (but thought I did....), I just shake my head. :(

What pressure do you apply when pressure bleeding?