Border Wars

hulot

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi All

Just thought this relic of NSW-Vic border wars might be of interest- when fruit fly was our biggest border bugbear.

hulot.

Attachments

• road block pass Albury.pdf
    582.3 KB · Views: 181
Can remember the Fruit Fly inspections. Gobbling all the fruit in the car down driving through Albury to get rid of it before the border........

Reactions: IWS
Yes we kids had to ensure that Mum and Dad only had fruit cores and skins to dump in the big barrel, even if we parked on the side of the road so we had time to eat up. Waste not want not.

I can remember going up to Moama from Melbourne for the day in my brand new '67 R10. On the way back the fruit fly inspectors were on the end of the bridge, where they stopped me and asked me to open the boot for them to check. I popped the front boot-lid open but the inspector insisted that I open the "boot" at the back of the car. All he found was an 1108 engine instead of piles of fruit! I then lifted the front boot for him to have a look at, after which he seemed taken aback by the whole process and we left him shaking his head!!

Takes some getting used to. Finding army posts on the back roads to Mount Gambier is something none of us ever thought we'd see.

Reverts to a version of the 19th century, when Victoria manned the customs posts and police barriers. But you could buy your way through those.

I had to work to find that (it obviously wasn't Port Macq). I didn't expect to find such a big customs house in a SA backwater. It must have been very much the last choice for a harbour in the 1800s. I thought of other places where old wharves stick out into the open sea, like Tathra.

It didn't enforce the Victorian paywall though.