Boot lock Peugeot 203C

Restorer

Fellow Frogger
Has anyone removed the lock barrel from the handle ? I have located and removed a small grub screw but nothing wants to move - I don't have a key for the lock and will be looking into having one cut - at the moment it is in the unlocked position .

If getting a key cut take the whole bit to the locksmith should be same as ignition in mine I think,

After removing the grub screw the barrel can be turned and pulled out if you have a key. I can provide you with a lever complete with barrel and key. However the lever is rather daggy and might just be OK for re chroming. If your lever is OK the barrel could be drilled out. Send me a PM if interested.

On the subject of 203 keys, the door and boot keys should be the same (Ronis). The ignition key is for an Australian supplied switch which replaced the pull button provided for other markets. Having different keys for the boot and door is a pain but the wafers in the exposed boot barrel can be filed down to suit the door key. The reverse isn't possible as the door lock is riveted together.

Tony

Has anyone removed the lock barrel from the handle ? I have located and removed a small grub screw but nothing wants to move - I don't have a key for the lock and will be looking into having one cut - at the moment it is in the unlocked position .
Have put up some images that should hopefully be of some help to you. There were 3 different types of locks thrown on 203s, 'Ronis', 'Neiman', and 'Kiferm'. The Ronis type seems to be the most common of the three, as have only come across one of the others so far, that being a Neiman. The images show the disassembly of the lock, fairly simple these ones, the door lock is more of a challenge. You don't need a key to be in the barrel for this, they can be disassembled whether it be in the locked or unlocked position. Just make sure the key slot is in the vertical plane after the lock & handle assembly is out of the housing, then with the grub screw out, the barrel will pop out to the rear with a light tap or two on the back of the handle, extra taps might be needed if oxidization has built up due to the lock not being used. Have a small container ready for all the bits, don't want to be losing any! Depending on which brand of lock it is will determine what choices you have. If it's the same brand as your door lock you have the choice of putting your door key fully into it, and whilst holding the key in position so it does not move, ever so gently file down the 'wafers' until flush with the body of the barrel. Your then good to go for re-assembly. The other choice is off to the locksmith for a key to suit. If yours is a 'Ronis', the blank code for this type is a 62Z. The Neiman one I can't help you with, but an old school locksmith should be on the ball with this. I didn't have a key for the Neiman lock, but stumbled upon a Bosch key from an early 404 ignition switch which was a perfect fit and actually turned the lock! (see image of the Bosch key), totally different cutting to a Ronis, but must be a similar/same cutting as the Neiman type for it to be a snug fit into the slot.

Attachments

• 1 Ronis lock.JPG
    1 Ronis lock.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 1a Neiman lock.JPG
    1a Neiman lock.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 1a1 Neiman & Ronis keys.JPG
    1a1 Neiman & Ronis keys.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 120
  • 1a2 Ronis & Neiman (Bosch) key..JPG
    1a2 Ronis & Neiman (Bosch) key..JPG
    161 KB · Views: 136
  • 1b these two screws out.JPG
    1b these two screws out.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 119
  • 1c assembly out.JPG
    1c assembly out.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 1d the grub screw.JPG
    1d the grub screw.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 1d1 grub screw out.JPG
    1d1 grub screw out.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 1e tap the barrel out.JPG
    1e tap the barrel out.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 1f Ronis blank 62Z.JPG
    1f Ronis blank 62Z.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 125
  • 1g Ronis & Neiman barrels.JPG
    1g Ronis & Neiman barrels.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 117
  • 1g2 Bosch  404 ign. switch key fits !!.JPG
    1g2 Bosch 404 ign. switch key fits !!.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for the replies , lock barrel now out of housing but locksmith is having trouble locating key blanks - any clues as to supply sources for a Ronis blank appreciated.

Tony , a huge thank you for the handle , key and barrel , snail mail thank you on the way. John

FWIW remember having very similar Ronis being used by Thule, Rola or ? roof-racks about 15 years ago

Restorer: I have a lock with good chrome and complete except for key. I have had another in same condition with key replaced by local lock smith. Blank used was "silca" (Italy) .........everything works beautifully and is now in my car. If I can help let me know as my second lock is certainly in better knick than the one in your photo (1). Locksmith had no trouble sourcing blank and cutting replacement key for Ronin lock using "Silca"

Cheers: Deane.