Big 6 front wheel drum

robo

Fellow Frogger
Hi, can someone tell me how to remove the front wheel brake drums off a Traction Avant 6 Cylinder?
Thanks
Mark

There are two access holes in the front of the drum. A tube spanner ( 12mm IFRC ) is used to undo the the six set screws holding the bearing retaining plate The stub axle nut must be removed and the drive shaft removed. Then the drum and bearing will slide out of the steering swivel assembly revealing the the brake shoes and wheel cylinders.

Yes Mark:
Assuming it is similar to the light 15 I made a tool for same, pictured here:
DSCF2292.JPGDSCF2293.JPGDSCF2294.JPG
Bought from Trade Tools for about $30 & carefully modify the jaws to fit tightly on the hub groove.
Load up on the axle very tightly then shock to the tool bolt head with a club/lump/gympie hammer.
Set up right the hub should pop off if you loosened off the brake adjusters.
I no longer need, but have this tool, as I fitted power disc brakes.

Last edited:
There are two access holes in the front of the drum. A tube spanner ( 12mm IFRC ) is used to undo the the six set screws holding the bearing retaining plate The stub axle nut must be removed and the drive shaft removed. Then the drum and bearing will slide out of the steering swivel assembly revealing the the brake shoes and wheel cylinders.

Thanks Gerry, I think I’ve got it now, I thought the 2 holes must have something to do with it.
Cheers
Mark

Yes Mark:
Assuming it is similar to the light 15 I made a tool for same, pictured here:
View attachment 126760View attachment 126761View attachment 126762
Bought from Trade Tools for about $30 & carefully modify the jaws to fit tightly on the hub groove.
Load up on the axle very tightly then shock to the tool bolt head with a club/lump/gympie hammer.
Set up right the hub should pop off if you loosened off the brake adjusters.
I no longer need, but have this tool, as I fitted power disc brakes.

No it’s different there’s nowhere for a puller to grab.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Gerry for helping Mark. I could not remember exactly. The last time I did that to my Big 6 was in the early 80's. But it is time to re-do my brakes too. It is a timely reminder. Ted

Thanks Gerry for helping Mark. I could not remember exactly. The last time I did that to my Big 6 was in the early 80's. But it is time to re-do my brakes too. It is a timely reminder. Ted
I sold my 6H to Kim Harding in the late seventies and I remember those details clearly Ted!

Got them off this 1/2 inch socket extension is a perfect mandrel.
The right bearing is shot left ok but I guess I should change both mot cheep at $500 a pop
2E80F38A-75F6-4B53-9BB1-3A2D2685F70C.jpeg
9AB2585D-F4FB-4F47-B5BB-20F9DE15FBEA.jpeg

Got them off this 1/2 inch socket extension is a perfect mandrel.
The right bearing is shot left ok but I guess I should change both mot cheep at $500 a pop View attachment 126895View attachment 126896
Looks like someone else has a vast collection of broken and bent socket extension bars ..... I haven't many usable ones left. What are driving out with the bar? That looks very different to the light 15.

Yes very different to a light 15 you have to
Looks like someone else has a vast collection of broken and bent socket extension bars ..... I haven't many usable ones left. What are driving out with the bar?

That looks very different to the light 15 you have to remove the driveshaft put a mandrel in “or 1/2inch socket extension” in and knock the hub off bearing and all. Can’t think it’s good for the bearings.

Driving out the hub and bearing. Bearing is pressed onto the hub ( integral with the brake drum )in the same manner as a GS bearing.