Best Linux system for....

AlexB

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Hi Bob, I've got lost reading the previous posts as to what desired functionality is not met with a vmware or VirtualBox WinXP virtual machine on a linux host?

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day Alex,
it all works on the right day provided you play your part 1, 2, 3.... in the right sequence and stick your tongue out the side of your mouth while you're doin' it..... :)
This box, Mint 18.3, has Oracle VB from the repositories, and it runs like a clock - but it wasn't done without tears.... There's lots of stuff to pick from in the repository list.
On the dark side, Oracle VB is an automatic breeze to install....
New box is Mint 20.3. I think I ended up using the install from the Oracle site via line by line terminal instructions copied from a WWW page - yet another instance of achieving magical stuff with no understanding.... :)
I think the secret is correctly mounting the guest additions after the install of your virtual platform OS, mine is w7-32. It may also be necessary to tweak the automatic settings for memory etc to get what you want.
It's a bit of a bugger, all this stuff is free but you have to work at it to use it, operative word here is FREE.... :)
Bob
t12701.gif

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
If you copy over this entire directory the configs, addresses and old mail will be moved too
I suspected that this might be the case - used a similar process with windoze years ago... thanks :)
Bob

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day,
the boss has done it on her PC....
She has a spreadsheet on there that she has managed to turn into a link ?? The link points to itself.... weird.... Otherwise she has managed to totally delete it, bypassing the rubbish bin.
Can I investigate to HDD to find it as a deleted file ?
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
if it was a simple remove it will be in the Rubbish at trash:/// Just drag and drop it out.

Sometimes lsof can get back a delete, provided you don't exit the application that did it. The disc blocks will be still present. It is quite a rigmarole, but there are online articles.

If it was FULLY deleted using the delete command, which usually by default has an "Are You Sure? " attached, it may well be gone forever. When this happens by mistake it is essential to unmount the drive immediately, to stop over-writing. Otherwise, or anyhow, you are in deep, deep do-do.

Forensic standard recovery MAY be possible using foremost (it's in the repo) which does very slow file carving. The recovered file(s) must not be on the affected drive. There are online help pages. This is what gets done to you when THEY think you deleted something incriminating. It is very slow. If the file is part overwritten, you will only get part back.

Also available in the repo is a rewrite of foremost called scalpel. It is also a file carver. You may prefer that. There also also help pages online.

man pages:
https://linux.die.net/man/1/scalpel
https://linux.die.net/man/1/foremost

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Damn.... I reckon she needs to be more careful..... :)

thanks,
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Here are some other ways, if the data still exists----

Reactions: bob

AlexB

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
G'day,
the boss has done it on her PC....
She has a spreadsheet on there that she has managed to turn into a link ?? The link points to itself.... weird.... Otherwise she has managed to totally delete it, bypassing the rubbish bin.
Can I investigate to HDD to find it as a deleted file ?
Bob
On Linux or windows?
If Windows read on, else ignore :)
On windows if I change a blah.cmd to blah.lnk it kinda disappears as you say into a link and the icon gets the little shortcut arrow.
If I try in Explorer to rename it to blah.cmd I get blah.cmd.lnk.
And how do I know this? Because yesterday I renamed an assembler linker command file to abc.lnk and lost it!
To recover, either drag it into excel and 'Save As', or use DOS Command Prompt window to rename it.

1659773753480.png

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm scratching my head trying to work out what happened here. I'm assuming GUI applications only were used.

As every file is a hard link to a particular bit of storage, the ln f1 f2 command creates a second filename f2 that occupies exactly the same storage as f1. But in Mint deleting f2 in the file manager only removes the second name, f1 and the storage remains. You can also delete vice versa and storage remains. This is handy when you want to edit the same material in two places.

The OS has links like this deep down so that apps can always find the data using a standard filename.

If the link is made by the file manager right click menu it will be a symbolic link, a pointer, and can be deleted by the file manager without deleting the original file f1. f1 remains. The storage at f1 is editable from both the filename and link name.

You can make chains of symbolic links and delete them safely in the file manager. If you delete the original file f1, or break a chain, the remaining link is now broken. Did this happen? Or has something exotic been done in the terminal?

The Gonz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
On Linux or windows?
If Windows read on, else ignore :)
On windows if I change a blah.cmd to blah.lnk it kinda disappears as you say into a link and the icon gets the little shortcut arrow.
If I try in Explorer to rename it to blah.cmd I get blah.cmd.lnk.
And how do I know this? Because yesterday I renamed an assembler linker command file to abc.lnk and lost it!
To recover, either drag it into excel and 'Save As', or use DOS Command Prompt window to rename it.

View attachment 208567
Definitely use the DOS window as much as possible. I'm not a fan of GUI Windows-dressing to obscure what I want to control.

The Gonz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm a registered mentor for CSIRO's CyperTaipan competition. Good ol' M$ failed to come through with Windows VMs so the competition will be using Linux images only this year.

CyberTaipan

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Kids get all the goodies now. Black Hat 2022 calls!

I'd have enjoyed that eons ago, but then there were very few computers. My first running programme happened at the beginning of university, when a professor asked me to code a nasty linear algebra problem for his research. He paid (or his grant did) for me to learn. That was my reward. tt was in early Fortran and assembly language. I remember compiling and linking were very slow, and run time would astonish today's kids. . We took huge pains to get a job done with BA memory.

The Gonz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Kids get all the goodies now. Black Hat 2022 calls!

I'd have enjoyed that eons ago, but then there were very few computers. My first running programme happened at the beginning of university, when a professor asked me to code a nasty linear algebra problem for his research. He paid (or his grant did) for me to learn. That was my reward. tt was in early Fortran and assembly language. I remember compiling and linking were very slow, and run time would astonish today's kids. . We took huge pains to get a job done with BA memory.
Nobody writes for economy. Heck, hardly anybody writes any more, more like selecting and compiling from huge libraries instead, often through a GUI and mouse!

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm scratching my head trying to work out what happened here. I'm assuming GUI applications only were used.

As every file is a hard link to a particular bit of storage, the ln f1 f2 command creates a second filename f2 that occupies exactly the same storage as f1. But in Mint deleting f2 in the file manager only removes the second name, f1 and the storage remains. You can also delete vice versa and storage remains. This is handy when you want to edit the same material in two places.

The OS has links like this deep down so that apps can always find the data using a standard filename.

If the link is made by the file manager right click menu it will be a symbolic link, a pointer, and can be deleted by the file manager without deleting the original file f1. f1 remains. The storage at f1 is editable from both the filename and link name.

You can make chains of symbolic links and delete them safely in the file manager. If you delete the original file f1, or break a chain, the remaining link is now broken. Did this happen? Or has something exotic been done in the terminal?
thanks Seasink, you're trying very hard to educate me, and amazingly tolerant.... :)
SWMBO would only be using GUI point and shoot, I'm guessing that she has managed to accidentally do some magic with a right click... I haven't had a go at the problem yet, "it's on the list". I recall we managed to work some magic with a USB stick ages ago that had some deleted required data, so hope is not lost. She assures me that "it's not that important", but, I remain in awe of the female mind.... :)
She does have a backup, but it's from a couple of months ago...
I did manage to resurrect her VM yesterday, we are progressing.... aaaah, simple one, it updated and needed manual attention to download/find and load the extras stuff... :)

Bob