Best Linux system for....

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Thanks SS,
system is 18.3 Sylvia, which comes with LO 5.something, which is still installed. LO 6.2 would be fine - and match the w7 install running elsewhere. Yes, Mint 18 is old, but reasonably friendly.... :)
Bob

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day SS,
OK all done, the software manager was too confusing with mountains of entries... so installed via the command line. The PPA/repository has given me.... LibreOffice 6.2.8.2 20(Build:2) which is fine - not the latest, likely LO 7 is not OK for mint 18 ?
Initial look is great, didn't fall over with calc and draw both in use, so far.... :)
thanks,
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
You got the default, i.e. the latest in your sources. Glad it worked out.

If you have backporting in mind again, look about in case a PPA for your distro version has been made by somebody with the same interest. It avoids a lot of potential bother with dependencies.

Reactions: bob

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
OK, so the PPA thing is all a bit clearer now, looks to be a better option than the direct [DEB ?] download from the office site - I've had problems before with a whole application installing 'till near the end and it tells you xyz isn't the right version for whatever.... Although, it didn't get a fair go when I tried the first time as the old version was still there. I'll bet the java I had already wouldn't have been right though !

made by somebody with the same interest.

could be an invitation for headaches.... :) Likely simpler to bite the bullet and replace the OS with the latest flavour... :)

Interesting though, with windoze I have always had several versions of some application or other installed without problems - in fact, a great transitional system, as a new version of whatever is not always to one's taste... :)

Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Windows applications tend not to share dependencies, hence the large number of DLL files to make each one complete in itself.

Linux following Unix prefers multiple well tested free standing libraries that any application can use. It saves a lot of space and many developer headaches. Libraries can refer to earlier ones in a kind of onion layering. Library developers need not be part of any application team.

Backporting binaries has a way of not finding correct dependent libraries, and backports are best handled by recompiling and linking on the target system. I wouldn't encourage non-programmers to make a habit of this.

PPAs on Launchpad have some security features - they are never uploaded to Launchpad as binaries, and the sources are compiled there. See https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA

If you pick up a deb from a developer's website it is essential that it is built for your particular distro and version. Most tell you, but for some it isn't clear. Repos are safer.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day,

install on new box for SWMBO yesterday of Mint 20.3

I used the Linux 'image writer' to create the necessary bootable USB stick. Generally an easy job but lots of updates to get this time which gave a 'windoze like' install time of nearly an hour - previous new installs have only been around 10-15 minutes. The add-on nVidia card probably complicated stuff a bit, maybe along with the new fangled UEFI-based BIOS in the new box.

Bit late now it's all done, but, I was wondering if I could get rid of the original w10 install on dev1 and replace it with her friendlier w7-32. Would it stuff up the dual-boot setup ?

Bob

t12701.gif

The Gonz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Great question, Bob. I just run Mint on a modest desktop with W7 on the laptop and W10 on the big dual-screen machine. I'd curious to know how the version of Windows might affect dual-boot. I suspect it won't.

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Although I have got into the habit of creating a small efi partition, I still haven't put data in it. The best thing to do with UEFI is go to the bios and disable it. It only exists because of Microsoft inadequacies. No UEFI = no headache. I don't dual boot, so I have no experience with this problem.

Advice on the OS change under dual boot might be here - https://wiki.debian.org/DualBoot/Windows

Last edited:

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
thanks SS, but, more techno stuff.... :( I ask some dopey questions..... :)
It appears likely that GRUB will be stuffed up....
I only did the dual boot thing cos I wasn't sure how the Mint install would go in this unfamiliar territory. Now I know it's happy I've half a mind to start again and just have Mint on it - running w7-32 on VirtualBox seems to work rather well, with the advantage of being able to easily carry data back 'n forth to the host.
Gonz, w10 is here, but it never sees the world and is rarely fired up. It eat half our data in three days when it first arrived, I've been getting Minted ever since... :) Although, I note that our two Android phones have similar data munching habits, 'updating' stuff I never use and which, it seems, are 'compulsory' google stuff unable to be deleted and/or deletion causes unwanted side effects. Cunning pair MS and google.
Bob

The Gonz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I hear you, Bob. By far my happiest experience is on the dedicated Mint machine, which is also the lowest spec, and that says plenty about the rest. Don't be too hard on M$ and the big G. They're just so big that staying ahead of the cyber threats makes their efforts even bigger.

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I think the best solution to keeping Windows is a virtual space inside Linux. Then you can change it or replace it without any loading consequences - Windows is used to thinking it's the only one in the universe. It's the best way to run two versions of Windows as well.

Part of Google's problem is that it is a Linux-like OS with most protections removed, probably because of space and processor requirements on early phones. Now it is everywhere, it is vulnerable to the black hats.

To protect it to some degree the ability to change it was severely curtailed.. Google bought it in 2005 and has made it near universal. Adding in all those Google apps annoys me too, but most people seem to use some, like the distinctly non-private Chrome.

Linux phone systems have been developed, but Google and Apple market power have defeated them as commercial products. Before MS ruined Nokia it was a likely thing.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
OK, too much messing about, SWMBO machine is now just Mint.... :)

Although, it would be nice to have W7-32 via VirtualBox, which has been reluctant to cooperate so far - probably due to the UEFI thing which I haven't had a go at disabling yet, anything else in there problematical ? secureboot ?

She wants to have access to an old time database based on a locked up VisualBasic file. Also, some wordperfect functionality...

The virtual machine all works OK except that VB can see the USB sticks, but control is not passed to the W7 image. A right pain as it was easy as to do on the ancient HP box.... The control centre in the W7 image indicates that the USB drivers are 'broken' ..... seeking reloaded drivers from the mother board disc via windoze auto seach doesn't work.

The depository offers a big list of virtual box bits, also a tad confusing....

Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
UEFI is a complete pain which I always disable in the BIOS before I put a system on. I have sometimes put a small efi partition on a drive anyway - Mint has apparently paid the MS tax - but it is never used. GRUB 2 can handle it. I have never dual booted. I have Win on a hard drive and swap first drives if needed. It has been a very long while.

Are they USB 3.0 hardware? These need an extension.

There is a detailed description of Virtualbox on Mint at https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/install-virtualbox-linux-mint/ As you note, the number of bits on offer is daunting.

The Gonz

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've been trying a range of light distros on an old Presario and so far even Puppy seems slow and heavy. I tried Damn Small Linux and even that has problems, like not seeing the network port or the wifi. It seems XP was coping better on it than anything else, which surprises me. I have a cyber warfare session tomorrow and I think I'll take the W7 Dell laptop and run Xenial Pup off CD for the code gaming.

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have a 386 sitting under my desk that came my way after in-field use in aerial radiometric surveying. It still works well, but the system is Slackware from the 90s with Motif doing the graphics and desktop.

It's getting hard to find modern OSs and particularly X based graphics for ancient stuff, but you may be able to load something from the period.

Modern kernels do not support 386, but this bloke has some fun - https://hackaday.com/2011/08/12/installing-linux-on-a-386-laptop/

Last edited:

Kenfuego

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have a 386 sitting under my desk that came my way after in-field use in aerial radiometric surveying. It still works well, but the system is Slackware from the 90s with Motif doing the graphics and desktop.

It's getting hard to find modern OSs and particularly X based graphics for ancient stuff, but you may be able to load something from the period.

Modern kernels do not support 386, but this bloke has some fun - https://hackaday.com/2011/08/12/installing-linux-on-a-386-laptop/
Bob
Perhaps you should have kept that HP laptop. I wonder if that will be suitable as a test bed Linux tryout using the above link as a guide, though I seriously wonder if I will ever have the time and patience required, given all the things that load up on me these days, it's hard being retired and having no time for idle enjoyment....:ROFLMAO: might need to go back to work, used to have plenty of time to play around then with cars and electronics, computers, woodwork, you name it. PS thanks for the link seasink.

Ken:)

PS bob
The Melbourne PC user Group, (slowly coming back to life after Covid Lockdowns threw everything into Chaos ) had a section in their latest online Newsletter about Linux based systems. Thought you might be interested but I may not be able to forward the articles, but as always you and yours are are always welcome to drop by anytime when heading for the big smoke!.

Last edited:

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Perhaps you should have kept that HP laptop. I wonder if that will be suitable as a test bed Linux
G'day Ken,

reckon it had Linux on it and I turned it back into a windoze W7-32 for the ancient Digger data - general idea was for your good lady to have her own PC that was too old for you to be bothered with.... :)

Bob

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
There is a detailed description of Virtualbox on Mint at https://www.sysnettechsolutions.com/en/install-virtualbox-linux-mint/ As you note, the number of bits on offer is daunting.
G'day,

well, I've installed this little bugger on the Asus about 4-5 times now, every time there is a different fault.... :( last effort gives me USB access but loses out on the shared folder !! UEFI appears to be disabled OK.

Moving on I discover 'PlayOnLinux', seems to always be another alternative on Linux doesn't there... :) It installed WordPerfect12 in seconds off a USB stick and even gave me a desktop shortcut - but nothing is free, it doesn't like the two patches for it.... However,.... I note that there are instructions on the WWW for creating a whole new WP12 install which includes the two patches...
where would we be without all these clever people that help me achieve the impossible without me having a clue about what the hell I'm doing... :)

Bob

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Catch with the above overclockers link, the system requires that you have install files suitable for a network, oh well.... Back to VirtualBox, nil desperado carborundum.... :)

Seasink, moving to a new box, what are the options for retaining old emails ? I'm guessing that it's likely best to start with a clean new local database ? Will I be able I read the old stuff directly just by opening the files if I copy the "Mail" folder to the new box as, say, "OldMail" ?

I use Thunderbird set up as POP3.

I have a small program somewhere that opens such mail folders in windoze, so all is not lost.... :)

Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Isn't the mail storage inside directory ~/.thunderbird (note the dot)? If you copy over this entire directory the configs, addresses and old mail will be moved too. You may need a big USB stick or a CD. Put it in the home directory as before. Then install the new Thunderbird. Most applications when installed or updated pick up pre-existing configs instead of wiping them.

You will still have the backup!

This copying the config approach works with many Linux applications, like browsers.