Best Linux system for....

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
thanks, I don't use Vivaldi and no idea where it's "stuff" came from - must have been included in the original distro ?
Probably something that I should "dispose of" and fix the GUI updates problem that way ? any easy way ?
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Vivaldi is the best and most flexible browser out there. It comes from some of the remnants of the old Opera people before they got laid off and everything changed.. I'd keep it. I use it always. It is available for every platform, and is very well reviewed.

The Vivaldi browser uses the open source Chromium html graphics engine, so it covers all bases. Anything written for Chrome (ie everything today) will work. The rest of the programming is original, and novel, as most of it is in javascript.

The easiest way to get it is from https://vivaldi.com/download/. If you go there in Mint it will offer the correct deb file. You should then have automatically installed the repo in the sources GUI.

If it doesn't, this will fix that-- https://help.vivaldi.com/desktop/install-update/manual-setup-vivaldi-linux-repositories/. (It installs it in the apt system)

Weupd8 has some keys in its repo. You need to install the repo in apt if you want to update with apt. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/16211/how-to-install-ppa-packages-in-an-apt-get-style It is similar to the manual procedure in Vivaldi.

My etc/apt/sources.list in the Mint machine is empty. I let the Mint GUI do the updates.

When you add a repo you trust it. Be sure it's worthy and won't fill you with crap.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day,

I use the GUI update all the time, it decides what it wants - I only attack the updates via the terminal when it cracks the rare wobbly, usually on the refreshes. It gets whatever it asks for, should I just stick to level 1 & 2 and give the rest the flick ?

I note that Vivaldi is in the repo list "vivaldi-snapshot" & "vivaldi-stable" both have exactly the same download & description.... weird.... ver 3.5.2131.8-1 So, use the web offering ?

My etc/apt/sources.list reads....
# deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 18.2 _Sonya_ - Release amd64 20170628]/ xenial contrib main non-free
deb http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/ lsb3.2 contrib
all OK ?

I notice lately that FF and ublock are not getting on too well, it's started blocking the main images on shop sites, I've turned ublock off, could be time for a change. Will vivaldi run down-them-all ?

thanks,
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Brave as you are, use the stable offering. Snapshots are proposed changes out for comment and testing. They become stable in time.

Your sources.list has one item. Note the # in column 1, line 1.
It is a printer driver. It is there if you security update it (I wonder who would succeed in poisoning a driver)

Vivaldi has its own ad blocker and tracker blocker built in, plus individual site settings. See the icons on the left of the address bar. Repeated in the general settings. In Settings->Privacy you can exempt sites from either blocker. (Settings is in the V icon top left, and in the phone-type cog wheel bottom left.

It will run ublock_Origin as well, but you may not need it, depending how determined the advertisers are.

Ublock_O uses many lists and algorithms, and the shop sites might be using addresses that look like external advertisers. They are advertising sites after all, except that you want to read them. Answer - Right click the icon at the top, and select Options. There is a tab for trusted sites. You might enjoy checking the other tabs.

------
Vivaldi has some nice features if you explore, eg on the bottom margin, there is a whole web page capture to file or image; a list of Page Actions (that is user CSS) with the very handy Reader View. Reader view simplifies pages you want to print among other things.

Nothing beats the panels. They provide by default some, like bookmarks and downloads, but you can also keep an oft-referred-to web site in one (right click in the page). Notes is a word processor in itself in many ways, sorted by web address.

The default list of search engines (US oriented) doesn't please me, but you can change it, as I did. It isn't American - the main office is in Iceland.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day,

putting aside Vivaldi for the moment, to clear the original update problem first...

Synaptic does not come up with anything to delete for "webup8" or "vivaldi".

Consulting a likely site: https://itsfoss.com/how-to-remove-or-delete-ppas-quick-tip/
the terminal tells me....
bob@bob-HP-Z400-Workstation ~ $ sudo ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d
[sudo] password for bob:
flexiondotorg-youtube-dl-gui-xenial.list official-package-repositories.list
librecad-dev-librecad-stable-xenial.list sandromani-gimagereader-xenial.list
nilarimogard-webupd8-xenial.list vivaldi.list
bob@bob-HP-Z400-Workstation ~ $

I presently don't have/use "webup8" or "vivaldi", do I simply get rid of the problem with...
sudo rm -i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/PPA_Name.list
once for each I assume... ?

Or, do I need to go through the ppa-purge process, as detailed on the site... :)

The printer item may be part of the laser Brother install - or an old Canon ip3600 that I can't recall ever using, the joys of getting old.... :)

thanks,
Bob

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day Seasink,

GibGib moved the thread... :)
I note that in LibreOffice Draw that if one loads an image as a background to trace over that it seems to 'always' be there in outputs, even if the level it is on has been made 'not visible'. Whilst I can get around it with SVG output and printing via the browser it is a bit annoying....
Is this a 'standard bug' in Draw ?

Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I can't find that PM. I have never tried that with Draw.

You can insert an image in a layer and trace over it in a new layer in LibreCAD. Set the image layer to not print/invisible and export to one of SVG, PDF or Image format.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
thanks SS, never even crossed my mind to try LibreCAD. Although, previous experience with LC suggests that Draw is simpler... :)
It's just a niggle, the SVG output is nice 'n small and the PDFs generated by the browser magnify cleanly as expected. Draw will produce a PDF but it seems to want to do the whole sheet whereas I only wanted a portion of it for a tester - it's A0 !!
Bob

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Impressive, wow, that A0 sheet with a mountain of data on it hasn't reached 100kB yet as a PDF - at $4.50 to print at officeworks why would one desire a big printer.... :)

Problem for today, laser was left with a page within at the end of a print job the other day. Back in days of yore there was an eject command for the black window - is there one for the Terminal in Linux ?

thanks,
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm not clear on the problem - is a correctly printed last page left inside the printer?

If you go to System>Admin>Printers and double click the printer icon, you will get access to printer abilities from the computer. It might be there.

Another way to see what's doing is http://localhost:631 in a browser, which brings up CUPS. As well as driver facilities there is help for command line options.

There may not be an eject function for that printer.

Those drawing PDFs are taking over the construction world, replacing a ton of paper, The engineer in my family has a large tablet with the whole job on it, and can zoom and scan around and annotate notes over the images.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
yep, I'll have to read the bloody book... !!

Originally we had these simple "English" commands for the black window "p eject" was it ? Then HP thought that maybe we could do all these all these flashy things when lasers and PCL took over from dot matrix - which required a line of gobbledygook and a book of ASCII tables... :)

I now see that the printer properties has a free box to add a command line.... back to school.... :)

For those here that haven't sampled the wonders of vector graphics here's the developing map of our local cemetery created with the freebie LibreOffice Draw - whilst the application has what seems a weird way way of treating levels, it is very easy to learn as you go with stuff largely being where you expect to find it.

There is an goodly amount of data here meant for an A0 sheet print and it is yet to reach 100kB !!

Bob

Attachments

• SkiptonLayout.pdf
    72.4 KB · Views: 59

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Not bad at all, but Librecad may have been easier with the non vertical rows, once you get the hang of it. 2D CAD is a skill worth developing.

PS That is a very efficient PDF. I put it through my compression script and got no reduction. There are several conversion routines for PDF files built-in, and more for download. Try man -k pdf.

I have visited a few old cemeteries in NSW, and have not yet seen one so Scottish (or perhaps NI). You can get an idea of the scale of 640 acre selections under the Robertson act (1861) by looking at graves. In the later 1800s there is a sudden increase in the Irish born, mainly RC, proportion. The act was intended to break the grip of the landed families on vast leaseholds. It wasn't uniformly successful, as many newcomers lacked the capital or skills to continue.

Does Skipton have many unrecorded and no-monument interments? It isn't unheard of here for sextons' registers to disappear after council amalgamations (some places have had several), which also makes for trouble after vandalism. My family once had a private cemetery, resumed a century ago and handed to the shire council, but our lot up to now are still all at one end, and today's locals at the other.

Last edited:

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
we had a house fire here in 1928 which fixed the records to that point... :( Much of this is data redeemable via death certificates, up to a point, it doesn't tell you where the plot is of course ! Also, they cost $20 each. I'd reckon that probably half the interments are marked - unfortunately there were very many children buried here, diphtheria was a worry as well as the usual birth and infant problems. We hope to get a grant for a ground radar survey eventually to assess the extent of the problem, it will be essential to plan for future development. In days of yore kiddies were were a low cost funeral, the cemetery secretary handed dad a shovel and was told "over there somewhere".... terrible...

The above PDF is the first real plan of the cemetery since 1928 - one guy had a go, but it was obviously too hard - he went for totally to scale with ruler and pencil and got tired after a couple of rows... Since then they have survived well by describing sites in the register, ie: 8x4 two rows to the west of Bill's monument one site north of Mary... :)

Scot's colonised this place, as evidenced by the biggest church in town... The Catholics ended up buying the tiny Methodist chapel - with lots of assistance from the Presbyterian minister of the time. Anglicans didn't have their own building until the 1920's. The population here exploded post WW1 with soldier settlers granted large chunks of previously grass castle empires - mostly the poorest land of course, otherwise they might get ideas above their station. It was a bloody hard life, and a tough little town, every second house was the home of a shearer....

There are a few station cemeteries here on private land I'm yet to look at.

cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• SkiptonCemetery.pdf
    244.7 KB · Views: 51

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Soldier settlements can have their peculiarities. Some of my mother's cousins were allocated land that had previously belonged to their grandfather. I suspect a lurk, but who knows? They weren't all poor ground, and they weren't all of lowly station in local society. None the less they had a hard life as few had enough acreage.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day SS,

LibreOffice... the distro has version 5. Now I discover that it can't handle Draw and Calc open together, installed version 6.2, OK so I should have probably unistalled 5 first... Now the bugger can't handle two Calc files open at once...

Lets start again... :) Uninstall the lot using the right click options in the menu or use....
apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
apt-get clean
apt-get autoremove
as suggested in a few places ? or do both ways.... :)

Then use 7.2 ? How is it auto updated, please ?

thanks,
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
You have given the package storage a whacking.

apt-get arguments---
remove is the reverse of install. Config files are retained.
purge is like remove, but it also deletes config files.
clean wipes out the local storage of installed software - all but the lock file.
autoremove deletes files that came in to suit dependencies for packages no longer used
autoclean is a more useful long term maintenance approach. It removes files that are no longer available from the installed repositories.

I'll assume default V6 is now gone.

To use V7.1 brings you into the wonderful and sometimes dangerous world of backports. That is, using something with dependencies later than your fully compatable repo collection. I advise newbies to avoid it. The beauty of a system repo is that it has suitable libraries for all the stuff that can be installed from that repo.

The good news is that demand is high, and there is an Ubuntu backport PPA repo expressly for V 7. That saves much bother.

If this is in your apt (synaptic) sources, you can install any version with synaptic, and whatever you do will be auto updated as usual.

bob

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
G'day,
yeah, buggered that one up.... ended up with two installs of LO.... :) Using the right click option on the menu item seems to have dispatched the second install [6.2] without problems.... whew....
So, back to square one ! More reading without much understanding gets me to this page...
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=269343
which looks, on the surface, to provide the answer in mugs language with four lines of code...
sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libreoffice
can you see any problems in this approach ? I assume this will install the latest stable release ?

thanks
Bob

seasink

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
That's what I said via the links. It works. I thought you were chasing 7.

If you have already zapped libreoffice-core it won't hurt to repeat the command. Then get the PPA into your sources and update apt as described.

I would use synaptic for the re-install of libreoffice in case it offers more than one version on search. What is available depends on your Mint version and the PPA - I'm running 20.2 on one of my machines. The newest is default.

The PPA contents were all assembled using the libraries for your version, and will auto update in the usual way. PPA repos (thousands of them) are all kept at https://launchpad.net and the package system knows how to find it. After the PPA is added you can read its URL in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Reactions: bob