Best french car manual illustrations

Shoji

Renault 17 TL 1312
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Post your favorite french car manual illustrations pics here. Must be french and be by hand only. Not CAD and the like. Scan it or take a pic on your phone and post. Mention what you like about it. Could also be informative to models for AF members.

Last edited:
There's an idea!
Here's an original cutaway drawing of a "pre-serie" Renault 4CV of 1947. They made a small batch ahead of real production to show dealers the new post-war economy car. It is very similar to a production R1060 Renault 4CV (sold in Oz as the Renault 760) but different in some body details. Not a manual perhaps but there isn't one for this model!
Ebay France produces surprises sometimes.
4CV cutaway sml.jpg

Last edited:
The no-CAD rule will make it pre-1970s Auto makers were among the first adopters. Even I had CAD in the 80s.

Last for now - here's one of Renault's lovely drawings, annoted and showing the Aerostable system on a Dauphine.
Aerostable rear suspension diagram 2.jpg

The no-CAD rule will make it pre-1970s Auto makers were among the first adopters. Even I had CAD in the 80s.
That's true Seasink. I was thinking of it as displaying how artistic these drawings are. Engineer/artist as apposed to engineer/CAD is the difference I suppose.

JohnW, Great drawings and the rendering used well.
There's an idea!
Here's an original cutaway drawing of a "pre-serie" Renault 4CV of 1947. They made a small batch ahead of real production to show dealers the new post-war economy car. It is very similar to a production R1060 Renault 4CV (sold in Oz as the Renault 760) but different in some body details. Not a manual perhaps but there isn't one for this model!
Ebay France produces surprises sometimes.View attachment 123497
Look at the detail. Even has a signature - RICHE. That one is worth a frame.

There are plenty of drawings in the old 2CV manuals. Here are two:
2cv sahara.jpg

JohnW, Great drawings and the rendering used well.

Look at the detail. Even has a signature - RICHE. That one is worth a frame.
It's in one. :) It was used in advertisements to - how I've ended up with the original amazes me.

It’s been a hell of a thread but unfortunately has outlived several photo-hosting sites .... let me know if you can’t see something interesting as there is a chance I’ve saved it to my hoard ...

Last edited:
The following are out of a 1949, 203 manual. The part numbering system predates the current 4 digit, 2 digit (1022.11) method. The images are excellent examples of open and inline drafting. As mentioned earlier, the drawing/drafting techniques are a lost art.

manual 66.PNG
manual 55.PNG

manual 22.PNG
manual 11a.PNG
manual 33.PNG

Last edited:
maybe due to my taste for what's called a ligne claire style of illustration, a la Herge or Moebius, as much as the accuracy;
Untitled 5.jpg
Untitled 3.jpgUntitled 2.jpg

Last edited:
if we can deem this a kind of 'mode d'emploi';
mat2601-0 copy.jpg
because i think it's where this appeared
Untitled 6.jpg

i found it interesting to compare and contrast with
Untitled 8.png

which obviously is from some journal so off-topic, otherwise.