• Tapatalk and Mobile iOS/ Android APPs no longer supported on aussiefrogs.com. Please delete on your device. Use the web interface instead.

Best french car manual illustrations

Shoji

Renault 17 TL 1312
Post your favorite french car manual illustrations pics here. Must be french and be by hand only. Not CAD and the like. Scan it or take a pic on your phone and post. Mention what you like about it. Could also be informative to models for AF members.

Last edited:

JohnW

Too many posts!
There's an idea!
Here's an original cutaway drawing of a "pre-serie" Renault 4CV of 1947. They made a small batch ahead of real production to show dealers the new post-war economy car. It is very similar to a production R1060 Renault 4CV (sold in Oz as the Renault 760) but different in some body details. Not a manual perhaps but there isn't one for this model!
Ebay France produces surprises sometimes.
4CV cutaway sml.jpg

Last edited:

Shoji

Renault 17 TL 1312
The no-CAD rule will make it pre-1970s Auto makers were among the first adopters. Even I had CAD in the 80s.
That's true Seasink. I was thinking of it as displaying how artistic these drawings are. Engineer/artist as apposed to engineer/CAD is the difference I suppose.

Shoji

Renault 17 TL 1312
JohnW, Great drawings and the rendering used well.
There's an idea!
Here's an original cutaway drawing of a "pre-serie" Renault 4CV of 1947. They made a small batch ahead of real production to show dealers the new post-war economy car. It is very similar to a production R1060 Renault 4CV (sold in Oz as the Renault 760) but different in some body details. Not a manual perhaps but there isn't one for this model!
Ebay France produces surprises sometimes.View attachment 123497
Look at the detail. Even has a signature - RICHE. That one is worth a frame.

JohnW

Too many posts!
JohnW, Great drawings and the rendering used well.

Look at the detail. Even has a signature - RICHE. That one is worth a frame.
It's in one. :) It was used in advertisements to - how I've ended up with the original amazes me.

JohnW

Too many posts!

fnqvmuch

1000+ Posts
It’s been a hell of a thread but unfortunately has outlived several photo-hosting sites .... let me know if you can’t see something interesting as there is a chance I’ve saved it to my hoard ...

Dano

1000+ Posts
The following are out of a 1949, 203 manual. The part numbering system predates the current 4 digit, 2 digit (1022.11) method. The images are excellent examples of open and inline drafting. As mentioned earlier, the drawing/drafting techniques are a lost art.

manual 66.PNG
manual 55.PNG

manual 22.PNG
manual 11a.PNG
manual 33.PNG

Last edited:

fnqvmuch

1000+ Posts
maybe due to my taste for what's called a ligne claire style of illustration, a la Herge or Moebius, as much as the accuracy;
Untitled 5.jpg
Untitled 3.jpgUntitled 2.jpg

Last edited:

fnqvmuch

1000+ Posts
if we can deem this a kind of 'mode d'emploi';
mat2601-0 copy.jpg
because i think it's where this appeared
Untitled 6.jpg

i found it interesting to compare and contrast with
Untitled 8.png

which obviously is from some journal so off-topic, otherwise.

Dapco Auto France