Bentley Ferrari ... Citroen C4

Paulinqld

Tadpole
Was on holidays and it seems European Autos on the Gold Coast has gone bust. Citroen has moved and is sharing the showroom with Bentleys & Ferraris.
I went in to have a browse at the Cits and almost cit myself when the kids were getting too close to the big names.

Pug have got a dealership now on their own. It's very early days re doing up the place. I felt more comfortable there but the Pug's don't float my boat quite like the C4.

Are the C4 owners out there happy with their purchase or do they have any post purchase regrets? Any gripes or compliments?

Paulinqld said:
Was on holidays and it seems European Autos on the Gold Coast has gone bust. Citroen has moved and is sharing the showroom with Bentleys & Ferraris.
I went in to have a browse at the Cits and almost cit myself when the kids were getting too close to the big names.

Pug have got a dealership now on their own. It's very early days re doing up the place. I felt more comfortable there but the Pug's don't float my boat quite like the C4.

Are the C4 owners out there happy with their purchase or do they have any post purchase regrets? Any gripes or compliments?
1300km to date in our C4 1.6 SX manual. Coming from a Xantia, the low speed ride is certainly choppier but its not significantly different from any other small hatch we tried. Get some speed up and it smooths out nicely. The handling is fantastic; talkative steering, sharp turn-in, responsive, neutral. And it handles big dips and crests really well. And speed humps. Engine is smooth, torquey and as its running in it feels better and better. Gearing is spot on, clutch and gearbox action perfect. Some tyre rumble and thump on transverse ridges, but overall mechanical noise is well suppressed. Cabin design is a pleasure (aside from passengers nagging re speedometer). Boot is fantastic with the divider and cargo net. Auto lights, wipers, the cruise and limiter are all easy to use and work very well. Comfy seats with good under thigh support. Very good radio/CD for the price point. Nothing rattles. Inner urban fuel economy (lots of short runs, a/c on flat out) is currently mid 9.0's but improving.

Very happy. Characterful, inexpensive and fun to drive.

Gripes? Steering wheel is a bit yucky (thinking of seeing whether an Exclusive one could be ordered in), wipers are set up for LHD, door sound when shutting, easily marked plastic on seat backs, seat fabric plasticky and so a bit slippery (but car is extra easy to get in and out of).

Trixie said:
Gripes? Steering wheel is a bit yucky (thinking of seeing whether an Exclusive one could be ordered in)

It would be interesting to know how much the steering wheel would cost if you could ordered it, considering it is separate from the airbag.

Troy.

i give my C4 a 7.5
Just past 5000kms....
On the down side: Slight rattles becomign worse. Gear changes, although smoother, still needs improvement.....doesnt handle heavy braking very well, low range performance is terrible, normal headlamps don't shoot far enough, scary fuel consumption

On the upside: great looks, comfort, handling, very very smooth, excelllent mid range performance, excellent all round car

Do you guys only get the leather wheel on the exclusive out there?

There on everything from the VTR up over here. The VTS gets chrome inserts on the wheel thats about it.

Mine suffered terribly from rattling after having door panels and the dash apart to fit new front speakers there no rattles at all now. Lovely being in the car now. Can crank the bass right up without any rattles at all it just ends up making my ears hurt instead.

My engine is just starting to loosen up MPG has gone up a bit from 26 - 29 to 32 - 33. And power is a little better.

Low speed ride can be bad however best way i found to get rid of that is just stick it in 2nd or 3rd and leave it alone no need to tuch accelerator or anything the car will gladly sit pulling the car along at idle revs. 3rd will get you up to around 12mph or 19km/h and it'll be smooth at the same time.

Said this to someone else who had similar complaints with his now says its a lot better just leaving the idle revs to pull the car along.

Handling is great can be rather fun when it gets on the limits.

found that heavy braking does cause me to have to fight the steering wheel to keep it straight. Although im not sure if thats the car or the 17" wheels that are causing the issues the standard 17's do seem to tramline a little. Cant complain about tyre noise or anything though the PE2's are rather quite.

But i love the look of the car i have the coupe model in VTR+ spec in wicked red. Rather eye catching and does get a few comments. Looking at getting the VTS spoiler fitted though as the coupe really doesnt look right without it.

In general though i find it a very comfortable car to drive the so called sports seats are nice to sit in and give a fair bit of support. Also like the orange / black mesh look of them

Climate control makes it very comfortable although sometimes likes to mist my windows up in auto mode.

Most of my complaints were fixed though. Dealers have been great i had a loose headlight and they couldnt work out what was wrong as there was no damage to the car. They took the bumper off and parts were smashed behind it. They replaced it all and managed to get it through as warranty work. Which i thought was great. As someone had obviously backed up into me and then done a runner basically.

But no regrets about buying it no more i did at first but now i ove the car.