BA7/5 gearbox

Bob D

Fellow Frogger
I have what I believe to be an extremely good BA7/5 box out of an 85 505 low milage accident damaged car. It has the short input shaft and wrong bell housing to fit my 81 504. I am currently running a tired BA 10/5 and I am interested to know if the input shaft and bell housing are able to be swapped with maybe one from a 4 speed box and whether anyone has done such a conversion. The next question is whether it is worthwhile or should I look for another box?

Bob,

I know where there is a BA7/5 already to use with an XN1. It came out of an 150,000km 84 505 SR...

If you end up wanting to sell that box let me know as I would take it!

Cheers

Ben

Ben,
I know the box you are talking about. Is there a problem with the casing? ...hole? The owner of the box suggested that I ask the conversion question here as I am not sure if he is ready to part with it. I will certainly talk with you before I do anything. I am sure we can both benefit out of this. However I still need to keep my options open and would be very interested if anyone has altered such a box.
Bob

Bob,

No that is not the box I was thinking of, that was a BA10/5 which I am not 100% sure of...the box was mine before the current owner got it. The box I am thinking of is a BA7/5, which is held by Mr Salmon....

Anyway...Cheers

Ben

Ben,
My mailbox indicated you sent an email but it did not appear in My Profile. Yes I know what you are talking about with this other box and maybe that should have gone in my car when I did the conversion. If I can change over to this other box and you are willing to arange it, start arranging it! I know you do a bit of business with the box owner. Phone me if you wish but not during The Bill!
All the best, Bob

Bob,

I will be in touch during the week...must watch the bill then I have some more working out to think about my 505 V6 conversion *going to buy the body from Launceston*

Ben

Bob D... and others...

Yes, the 4-speed input shaft and bellhousing will convert the STi/GTi box to fit the XN engine, but not the 404 input shaft (smaller needle roller bearing for the mainshaft).

Ray Bell:
Bob D... and others...

Yes, the 4-speed input shaft and bellhousing will convert the STi/GTi box to fit the XN engine, but not the 404 input shaft (smaller needle roller bearing for the mainshaft).
Keith Bridge has tried the 4 speed input shaft and the input gear tooth profile is most definitely DIFFERENT. You need to replace the input gear on the layshaft with one from a 4 speed to make the 4 speed input shaft fit (requires machining and welding, etc, etc, etc).

Dave

Bob,

I wont have a need for this box now as I have sold the 505 GTI I had...and am getting an '85 505 SR wagon in it's place..

I will though be on the look out for a BA7/5 with an XN1 setup to suit the wagon as it has a BA7/4 in it now!

Ben

PS I will see you next saturday anyway!